Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Re-starting methods after a power loss

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 MurphyMan

MurphyMan

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 PM

Posted 08 November 2015 - 10:36 AM

Hello Bleeping,

I hope this is the correct forum.

I have a robot program that does on-line trading with my eMachines desktop computer. Windows 7 is installed.  It can sit for weeks at a time with no intervention and will run while I am out of town.  Occasionally, I need to remotely access to make updates.

I have two questions.

1.  If I were to experience a power loss, the duration of which that exceeds the capacity of my UPS, how can I get the computer to auto start once power is restored?

I imagine I can list the trading program as an auto-run after reboot, and it doesn't require a manual log-in each time.

2. What is a good remote access program to use when the desktop is up and going?

Several years ago I subscribed to a VPS and they charged for $40/month.  There was a large latency factor, and they really didn't supply much memory without charging extra so I dumped them. Not really worth $480/year.

Thanks!

Edited by hamluis, 08 November 2015 - 11:47 AM.
Moved from System Building to Win 7 - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 PM

Posted 08 November 2015 - 10:51 AM

I've been using UPS on both computer center and VHS/DVD combo center for some time.  I'm not sure if auto-start is a good idea, especially when UPS also has been brought down [battery discharged].  If certain storm or other power conditions exist, and UPS has been temporarily compromised, damage to the computer's "drive-chain" [power supply, motherboard, memory, etc.] is a possibility.

Is there anyone at home when you're gone for the most part?  And, is it possible to train that person to reset UPS, recharge the battery [at least making sure UPS is working and recharging], and finally to repower/repost/reboot computer?  When the computer finally comes to full desktop -- then restart the online trading program?

Edited by RolandJS, 08 November 2015 - 12:55 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 MurphyMan

MurphyMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2015 - 12:46 PM

Is there anyone at home when you're gone for the most part?  And, is it possible to train that person to reset UPS, recharge the battery [at least making sure UPS is working and recharging], and finally to repower/repost/reboot computer?  When the computer finally comes to full desktop -- then restart the online trading program?

Nope.  No one home, maybe for weeks at a time.  That's why I'm looking for automatic.

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2015 - 12:56 PM

I still do not recommend away-from-home auto-start.  However, do what you believe is best for you  :)

Edited by hamluis, 08 November 2015 - 07:12 PM.
Removed unnecessary quotebox - Hamluis.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 AM

Posted 08 November 2015 - 06:10 PM

Accepting Roland's reservations about the advisability of such a process of automated re-starts, it would not be too difficult to design a piece of electronics to do this if you have any expertise in this field or have a friend who does.

Your computer is a desktop so it has an on button which needs to be pushed to start it. This button actually shorts two contacts together and this could be done with a remote relay or switch. You would need some means of detecting the presence or absence of your mains electric supply. This can be done by either sensing the presence/absence of the 60Hz field around any piece of mains wiring or directly by the presence or absence of the 110Vac itself. I am assuming here, since you are in the same time zone as Roland, you live in the USA. It would probably be a good idea to build some sort of time delay into the re-start so that your UPS has a chance to acquire some volts, say 10 or 30 minutes. I am thinking here that the absence of mains voltage would arm the device and that its restoration would trigger the re-start process.

Safety note - if you were to build such a device using the direct presence of the 110Vac supply it would need to be built to higher safety and installation standards than if you were detecting the 60Hz field.

Chris Cosgrove

#6 MurphyMan

MurphyMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2015 - 07:23 PM

Your computer is a desktop so it has an on button which needs to be pushed to start it.

Chris Cosgrove

Yep. No way around it. I'll have to cogitate on that one for a while.

Thanks guys.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 PM

Posted 09 November 2015 - 09:59 AM

I'm not sure if auto-start is a good idea, especially when UPS also has been brought down [battery discharged]. 

When the line voltage is restored the UPS is ready to pass line voltage through to the computer.  The UPS will be recharging the battery/ies after the line voltage has been restored.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2015 - 10:00 AM

MurphyMan,

If you have a Android phone you should check out this article.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2015 - 10:37 AM

I'm not sure if auto-start is a good idea, especially when UPS also has been brought down [battery discharged]. 

When the line voltage is restored the UPS is ready to pass line voltage through to the computer.  The UPS will be recharging the battery/ies after the line voltage has been restored.

You're correct, as long as the UPS auto-starts, computer is good to go.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2015 - 11:42 AM

@RolandJS

I'm not going to speculate on this.  If I have the information I need to research this UPS I can determine if it will autostart.  Most manufacturers recognize the necessity of this feature, especially is a commercial application.

#11 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2015 - 12:46 PM

@RolandJS

I'm not going to speculate on this.  If I have the information I need to research this UPS I can determine if it will autostart.  Most manufacturers recognize the necessity of this feature, especially is a commercial application.

You're correct!  UPS have auto-start.  In the back of my mind I was thinking of OP's desktop -- which the power button has to be physically pushed in to rePower, which no UPS can override that.

#12 MurphyMan

MurphyMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2015 - 01:37 PM

MurphyMan,

If you have a Android phone you should check out this article.

That looks great.  I'll try and make that one work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users