Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New cinnamon release

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rozzer

rozzer

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 AM

Posted 08 November 2015 - 01:17 AM

Hi

New release

http://fullcirclemagazine.org/2015/11/04/cinnamon-2-8-officially-released-will-arrive-with-linux-mint-17-3-rosa/

A couple of questions ?

It appears as though Linux brings out new releases at very short intervals, is there a specific reason for that ?

Do you advise moving on to newer versions as soon as they are stable and if so why?

I assume to move to a new release is not neccessarily an upgrade so it will be a new installation, is that correct?

Thanks in advance

Rozzer

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,664 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 AM

Posted 08 November 2015 - 02:16 AM

Hi

New release

http://fullcirclemagazine.org/2015/11/04/cinnamon-2-8-officially-released-will-arrive-with-linux-mint-17-3-rosa/

A couple of questions ?

It appears as though Linux brings out new releases at very short intervals, is there a specific reason for that ?

Google it up!  I would guess one reason is to let people test it and report bugs and such.

Do you advise moving on to newer versions as soon as they are stable and if so why?

I don't bother, but I am no techie - so this is not the best answer for you I understand.  Why move on if something is working well, unless there are major benefits.  And, I don't like the idea of Upgrading, rather a new Install with all new settings and such.

I assume to move to a new release is not neccessarily an upgrade so it will be a new installation, is that correct?  Mint does Upgrade and cat1092 seems to have done many of them without much problems, don't quote me on that.

Thanks in advance

Rozzer

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_distribution

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LTS

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Linux_Mint_releases

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#3 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,002 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2015 - 05:03 AM

Hi

New release

A couple of questions ?

I assume to move to a new release is not neccessarily an upgrade so it will be a new installation, is that correct?

Thanks in advance

Rozzer

You can upgrade your Linux Mint install w/out a reinstall, if the Update Manager shows under 'Edit', there's a new release. The upgrade will take only 5-20 minutes, depending on your ISP speed & power of computer (the more CPU & RAM, the faster everything is). Older CPU's & those with small amounts of RAM (such as 1 to 2GB of DDR) may see increased update times, yet at the same time, I wouldn't expect an optimal Cinnamon experience on that type of computer. 

Being that I don't have Cinnamon, don't know if there's an upgrade for it or not, however the Cinnamon core may be offered as an update just as the Linux core is, and I get frequent Linux core updates. 

After reading the article, just keep looking for 17.3 to be offered through the Update Manager (under 'Edit'). I'm still running MATE 17.1 because I had unfixable issues with upgrading to 17.2, though the 17 to 17.1 upgrade was seamlessly perfect. This was the way Linux Mint 17 was setup, for the rest of the point releases to be upgraded through the Update Manager, all are based on Ubuntu 14.04, and that make it possible. 

Now next year when Mint 18 is shipped, usually 2-3 months for MATE/Cinnamon, after the Ubuntu 16.04 release, you'll need to clean install at a minimum, your main or root partition. You can & should for best cleanup of your /home partition, transfer the items you want to keep into a folder on an external (or spare internal) HDD. If that's formatted as NTFS, that's OK, the items can be dragged to the folder & dragged back once it's fully clean installed. There's a lot more to the /home partition than the 8 folders under your user name. A lot of old directories, uninstalled items that weren't cleaned up, you'll just have a better experience by the clean install of every partition. The OS will also run faster, too. 

Usually for these point releases (what 17.3 is) that doesn't matter. There may be one or two more point releases before Mint 18 ships around May or June of next year, and 17.3 may be one of those. I've yet to read any news about it for MATE, though will now check it out, usually both Cinnamon & MATE will upgrade together, unless there was a release to the Cinnamon core that would trigger an upgrade for that OS only. 

Once I purchase my next upgrade, am going to be doing some clean installing of all of my OS's, setting the PC back to factory GPT settings for the added performance, and just leave Secure Boot disabled. At the time I purchased the PC, wasn't yet a member of this forum, though was & still one on the Dell forum, one member saying to install Windows 7 or Linux, that Secure Boot had to be disabled & a couple of other items changed, one was going from GPT to MBR, I don't believe this was necessary & has cost me performance, as i've only disabled Secure Boot on some computers for others & was able to perform a Linux install. Or downgrade to Windows 7 (many sees this as an upgrade). 

As far as you first question goes, actually Linux Mint doesn't upgrade that fast, it used to be that an OS install was needed before Mint 17, and the OS's that weren't LTS were supported for 9 months or so. That's why Mint 13 is still supported for about 16 more months, and 14 through 16 aren't, Because these were short releases. Clem (the Linux Mint founder) decided to do it this way (kind of like a Service Pack), rather than wait for Ubuntu to release it's next OS, and then a new short term release would be issued. The way it is now, there's no set time when the OS is upgraded, yet when there is, it's normally a painless update & includes OS enhancements & bug fixes. 

Hope that this helps to explain. :)

Good Luck with Cinnamon 17.3 when it ships! :thumbup2:

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#4 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,800 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2015 - 06:15 AM

Yeah rerleases depend on the distro, unlike windows where things are static linux is ever evolving and developing and this is both a good thing and a bad thing.

On one had you can always get the latest and greatest software for linux but on the other things can get unstable,

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#5 rozzer

rozzer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 AM

Posted 09 November 2015 - 12:53 AM

Hi

Thanks to all, great responses as usual.

It is not my intention to move on just yet, I am very happy with Mint 17.1

for the time being, but maybe I could try it out with a LiveDisc when it arrives.

Thanks again

Edited by rozzer, 09 November 2015 - 12:57 AM.

#6 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,002 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2015 - 02:10 AM

rozzer, that's a good idea, test drive before upgrading. 

Normally I wait it out 2-3 weeks before upgrading anyway, to see what others are saying about the new release, and making a backup of what I have before pulling the trigger. In my case, going from 17 to 17.1 was easy peasy, everything was perfect, but going to 17.2 caused a couple of things not to work, that I depend on, and uninstalling/reinstalling didn't fix the issue. The main one was the cpufreq app that sits in the Panel, where I can adjust performance to my liking. Well, after the upgrade, the only options I had (even after uninstall & reinstalling, was Powersave & Performance. Nothing in between, whereas I have 20 choices of settings now. 

The 17.2 upgrade must have broken something, and I wasn't about to reinstall & reconfigure an OS over that, at the time, I had just added new drives, clean installed 17.1 & things were the way I liked it. Anyone with experience can install & get much of their apps & software choices completed in 3-4 hours at the most, though we often later find something missing. In my case, a clean install to 17.2 would be harder than many users because I have a nVidia GTX 960 GPU, and so far, most of the Linux distros doesn't support the card out of the box yet, and this applies to the more powerful & slightly older GTX 970 & 980's also. 

Plus I'd want official drivers, not some compromise drivers that's not in line with the latest stable driver versions, which are better in most cases. If it was a 8-10 year old computer, I'd likely care a little less, but mine is just a little over 2 years old, and my GPU has only been in here since April of this year, that's 7 months. 

I also need to be looking at why I'm not getting the advertised speeds out of my Displayport (DP) 1.2 cable upgrade, with this card it's supposed to be 21.6Gbps split into 4 lanes (2009 standard), the speed of the new certified DP 1.2 cable is still showing the same speed as the DP 1.1 one that I purchased with the PC (4 lanes @ 1.62Gbps, 6.48Gbps total). That's less than the DP 1.0 standard implemented years ago, back in 2006. Something is wrong & I don't believe it's my graphics card, as it runs well on both Linux & Windows, have had to GPU related errors, other than when setting up the card on Linux Mint & the reason why I don't care to clean install until Mint 18. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DisplayPort#1.0_to_1.1

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users