Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help with two disk drives.

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 JARVISx

JARVISx

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 AM

Posted 07 November 2015 - 11:36 PM

I'm a new member so not sure if this is the right place to ask about this XD.

So about a week ago I bought a new laptop that came with windows 8 and I updated to windows 10

but After the update I realized that my laptop had two separate disk drives The main OS_:C drive and a :D data drive 

I don't know if it had two separate drives before I updated or not so that makes it even worse. 

"I'm guessing the windows 10 created a separate OS drive"? 

Now it would be fine if it wasn't for the fact that everything about windows 10 doesn't like two disk drives anddd I just want one main drive for all my data not two. >I can partition it if needed"

I've research everything I could find on how to maybe merge or somehow combine these two drives including partitioning but it won't let me extend Unallocated data from Drive :D to drive :C.

even with the <MiniTool program.

This needs to get figured out even if I have to completely clean my laptop again- it is still new so not much on it

Some borddy helps 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 donkat

donkat

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 AM

Posted 08 November 2015 - 11:25 AM

If I am understanding you right you upgraded to Win 10. Now if you are referring to when you go into start/computer and notice two drives one is your main drive C: and the other one D: is most likely your Manufacturers Default Recovery drive.

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 AM

Posted 08 November 2015 - 11:33 AM

What does Windows Disk Manager show?  How large is each partition? Is there a way you can kwik-snapshot this information?  Donkat may very well be correct -- a recover partition which is not normally assigned a drive letter, which normally is hidden, should be left alone.  The only exception is:  if you're never planning on restoring computer to factory rollout.  Be careful about merging!  Done accidentally incorrectly - can cause temporary hiccups with booting.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#4 JARVISx

JARVISx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2015 - 03:31 PM

Here is a picture of windows disk manager-

Capture_zpswvxflpo2.png

Windows disk manager shows d>Disk 0 and Disk 1> Disk 0 is the OS drive which only has roughly 100gs of room on it vs the Disk 1 which has 900gs available

But i don't want two different "Disks? drives" I just want one as my OS and data drive? not sure how I can change it 

Edited by JARVISx, 08 November 2015 - 04:09 PM.

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2015 - 11:28 PM

Many will recommend having two partitions - OS and data.  When a restore of a backup comes, and it will come, you do not want your data to be rolled back.  Buy a couple of external HDs, get a free or fee backup/restore program, routinely backup your OS partition and your data partition.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,685 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2015 - 09:01 AM

It looks like you have a 1TB hdd which has been split.  The D: drive has 100% free space, the C: drive has 40% free space.

What RolandJS suggested regarding backing up your data is partially correct, you can use the second partition for storage.  But if the hdd fails you will lose all of your data.  You should be backing up your important data to removable media, like an external hdd, flash drive/s, DVDs, etc.  There are online storage facilities which you could use as well.  There are programs which will update your backups on a regular basis, some of the online facilities have this option as well.

If you want to revert these two partitions back to one partition you can do this with a program like G-Parted.  There is a tutorial for using this program, you can read it here.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2015 - 10:56 AM

True!  If the HD fails, you lose both partitions; however, many have had to more often rollback or restore or reinstall, their Windows Operating System OS  having had to replace a HD.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,685 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2015 - 11:18 AM

True!  If the HD fails, you lose both partitions; however, many have had to more often rollback or restore or reinstall, their Windows Operating System OS  having had to replace a HD.

The point is that this potential has to be taken into consideration and this means storing the data on removable media.  That is all I was pointing out since you didn't address this potential :deadhorse: .  

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 JARVISx

JARVISx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2015 - 07:17 PM

well there's one big problem with having two big partitions for me that is when you try to search for any file or program in windows 10 the search engine will only search the OS drive :\ 

I just prefer to have everything on one drive and anything I don't want to risk losing will be backed up online :)

Now I'm gonna go check out this link you posted Archi ;)

after reading up on it> Instead of burning G-parted program onto a disk can i put it onto a hard drive?

I have an empty 1 terabyte drive? 

ANDD i also just realized my laptop is to new to have a disk drive...darnit..

Edited by JARVISx, 09 November 2015 - 07:55 PM.

#10 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2015 - 08:43 PM

Guys, I didn't know Windows 10 can only search its OS partition.  One would have to install a 3rd party search program like Everything or Fileseek.  Ok, I'm verbally outa here, will simply listen in.

#11 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 PM

Posted 10 November 2015 - 07:45 AM

Guys, I didn't know Windows 10 can only search its OS partition. 

That's because it's not true.  Just add whatever location you want to add to "Indexing Options" and the search results will be retrieved quickly.

XKlzeEi.png

Looking at the disk management screenshot, you have two physical "disks" - a 120gb OS drive and an empty 1Tb storage drive.  Therefore I think you are stuck with having two separate drive letters.  I don't think disk spanning would work in this situation as you can't boot from a spanned disk, as far as I know.

7sbvuf-6.png

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,685 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2015 - 08:58 AM

Another option would be to use the empty 1TB drive as storage.

You can take something like you pictures file and place a copy of these files on the D: drive.

Click/tap on the Start charm, click/tap on Pictures, click/tap on copy.

Click/tap on the D: drive and paste the Pictures files in it.

Now you should be able to click/tap on This PC, then click/tap on the D: drive and you will be able to see the pictures you moved there.

Pictures on the C: drive will still be there, you only made a copy of them in the previous process.  If you don't wish to have these files on the C: drive you will need to delete them.  You will have to empty the Recycle bin to delete these permanently.

#13 JARVISx

JARVISx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2015 - 09:02 PM

AHyeahhh i got it guys i found out my laptop has two "separate" drives SSD drive and a Mechanical drive 

thankyou> PC solutions< I also discovered "Big thanks to jonuk" that i want love this two drive option! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users