Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Modem only works with my MacBook and nothing else

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 juvanya

juvanya

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 AM

Posted 07 November 2015 - 10:14 PM

Nevermind, everything suddenly works. It looks like Comcast just need to do a line test or whatever.

I just got Comcast Xfinity internet, whatever they call it, in my apartment. I bought my own modem because screw their $10/month charge. Even with hassles, I save money in a year.

Anyway, at first, there was a problem with the connection, so they had to wire a new one. Now, the internet works with my MacBook Pro and nothing else. Not the router, not my roommates PC, not his XBOX/Playstation/whatever. I have power cycled everything repeatedly as netgear genie and random help articles from google say, and nothing.

I have a MacBook Pro late 2009 running 10.6.8

The modem is Arris Surfboard SB6141

The router is Netgear N600 WNDR3400v3.

I dont know what my roommates devices are beyond what I said above.

Any help resolving this is greatly appreciated as always. I havent been here in ages, which is probably a good thing!

Edited by juvanya, 07 November 2015 - 10:29 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 AM

Posted 08 November 2015 - 12:32 PM

Comcast registered your mac's mac address for the connection.  Only that mac address can access the Comcast network.

This is where you have to "clone" the mac address of the mac to the wan port of the router.  You will see a button to this effect on the routers wan setup page.

#3 Jormeno1982

Jormeno1982

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2015 - 11:01 AM

Nevermind, everything suddenly works. It looks like Comcast just need to do a line test or whatever.

I just got Comcast Xfinity internet, whatever they call it, in my apartment. I bought my own modem because screw their $10/month charge. Even with hassles, I save money in a year.

Anyway, at first, there was a problem with the connection, so they had to wire a new one. Now, the internet works with my MacBook Pro and nothing else. Not the router, not my roommates PC, not his XBOX/Playstation/whatever. I have power cycled everything repeatedly as netgear genie and random help articles from google say, and nothing.

I have a MacBook Pro late 2009 running 10.6.8

The modem is Arris Surfboard SB6141

The router is Netgear N600 WNDR3400v3.

I dont know what my roommates devices are beyond what I said above.

Any help resolving this is greatly appreciated as always. I havent been here in ages, which is probably a good thing!

Hello,

What happens when you direct connect those devices to the modem and bypass your router? 

Don't settle for less, even a genius asks his questions. - 2pac

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,408 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2015 - 05:47 PM

Normally the solution is to power off the modem and the router, power on the modem, power on the router.

The modem "remembers" the first device connected to it and it has to be power cycled or reset in order to "forget"  Comcast limits you to one IP address and that is the main reason for this issue.  If you had two, you could set up with the computer and then install the router without having to go through all of this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users