Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Replace old Pentuim D w/ new build

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 acgolfer

acgolfer

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 AM

Posted 07 November 2015 - 06:06 PM

Hi everyone, new to forum.  I not a gamer just looking to build a decent computer for surfing, music,  photo and  video editing.  I would like to have a slightly quiet computer

This is what I have now:

Intel Pentuim D  CPU 2.66GHz, processor

Intel D101GGC, motherboard

1GB Ram, memory 2GB max

Chaintech Card A710

Samsung S23A200B, monitor-reuse

Seagate ST3500630A 500GB, harddrive-reuse and add a SSD

TSST corp CDDFDW Sh-5202J, DVD player-reuse

Window 7, -reuse

It was built by my daughter 10 years ago and it seen it days, can't even keep up the the memory hog Firefox.  She will help me with installing everything but just too busy to help find the parts, so that is why I looking to you guys for help.

Here is what I came up with just mainly looking at some builds and reading the forums.  So, thanks to guys at Pcpartpicker, Tom's and especially you guys at Bleeping Computers. 

Any advise would be appreciated, thanks in advanced.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/AcGolfer/saved/8kmcCJ

Intel Core i3-4160 3.6GHz Dual-Core Processor

ASRock H97M PRO4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard

Team Elite Plus 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory

Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

Asus Radeon R7 240 2GB Video

XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply

Antec SOLO II ATX Mid Tower Case

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,369 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 AM

Posted 07 November 2015 - 09:49 PM

Looks like a good build, however unless you have the retail copy of windows you can not transfer it.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#3 acgolfer

acgolfer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2015 - 10:20 PM

Looks like a good build, however unless you have the retail copy of windows you can not transfer it.

Thanks Captain, I have a hard copy but it state something about OEM.

I was wandering about the case, a little pricey but quieter, original case choose was a Deepcool TESSERACT SW ATX Mid Tower case.  Any thought on the cases?

Should I be getting any fans to go with either case?

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 PM

Posted 07 November 2015 - 11:38 PM

It looks fair enough for the most part.  

One issue you'll run into is trying to re-use your old DVD + HD drives.  A quick search shows these use the IDE/PATA interface, which is now obsolete and not included on many motherboards now.  It's likely to be best to just buy new SATA drives.

The case is nice and considered quiet, but it seems quite expensive for this price system.  Up to you of course, but something like the Fractal Design R4 can be bought a bit cheaper and is also a quiet and well featured case.

Something I would consider is that the R7-240 is not a very high end graphics card anyway, and is pretty much matched in performance by the integrated graphics on the new Skylake processors.  The difference in price could go towards an i5-6400.  Obviously that needs a socket 1151 motherboard.  Just an idea.

7sbvuf-6.png

#5 acgolfer

acgolfer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2015 - 11:09 AM

It looks fair enough for the most part.  

One issue you'll run into is trying to re-use your old DVD + HD drives.  A quick search shows these use the IDE/PATA interface, which is now obsolete and not included on many motherboards now.  It's likely to be best to just buy new SATA drives.

The case is nice and considered quiet, but it seems quite expensive for this price system.  Up to you of course, but something like the Fractal Design R4 can be bought a bit cheaper and is also a quiet and well featured case.

Something I would consider is that the R7-240 is not a very high end graphics card anyway, and is pretty much matched in performance by the integrated graphics on the new Skylake processors.  The difference in price could go towards an i5-6400.  Obviously that needs a socket 1151 motherboard.  Just an idea.

Thanks Jonuk76, I was thinking that might be too much case, I sure the case I have now is one of cheapest from 10 years ago, so I not even sure how much better cases are now.  But I like you ideal so far.

Now to the bigger problem, I should have known this weren't be as easy as I thought, I kinda had my heart set on reusing the hard drive.  Is there any motherboard that have IDE connection or would I be moving backward too much?

Also as far as the graphic card goes, I was only using it because all builds seem to have one.  Should I upgrade to a R9 380 2GB or eliminate the card alltogether?

Thanks for your help.

#6 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2015 - 04:35 PM

You can spend very little or a lot on a case.  The cheapest cases tend to be made out of very thin metal and transmit more noise, but do the job.  I think if possible it's worth spending a bit more on a case which is well built and well designed.  Newer/better designed cases have more thought put into them with regards to cable management, drive mounting, cooling and sound isolation.  Must admit I do like that Fractal Design R4...

I don't know of any boards for currently available Intel processors that have IDE ports.  You have to go back a generation or two.  You can get adapters, but I don't have a lot of faith in them, and they might not work in AHCI mode.  Considering the price of a new HDD which will be faster and compatible with current hardware, it seems a no brainer.  You could maybe re-use the IDE drive in a USB enclosure if you want to get some more use out of it.

I don't think you'd need to stretch to something like the R9-380 for what you want to do.  Common photo or video work is not very taxing on the GPU, and the R7-240 sounds fine for what you want to do.  The integrated graphics on the i3-4160 are fine for desktop stuff, but not great.

What I was suggesting was that as the new Skylake processors have better integrated graphics compared to the i3-4160 (they're roughly around the same level as an R7-240), you could, without spending much if any more money, change to a Skylake i5 which will also get you a quad core processor, which is certainly an improvement for things like video rendering.

Just an example - http://pcpartpicker.com/p/v6TX6h

7sbvuf-6.png

#7 acgolfer

acgolfer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2015 - 07:03 PM

You can spend very little or a lot on a case.  The cheapest cases tend to be made out of very thin metal and transmit more noise, but do the job.  I think if possible it's worth spending a bit more on a case which is well built and well designed.  Newer/better designed cases have more thought put into them with regards to cable management, drive mounting, cooling and sound isolation.  Must admit I do like that Fractal Design R4...

I don't know of any boards for currently available Intel processors that have IDE ports.  You have to go back a generation or two.  You can get adapters, but I don't have a lot of faith in them, and they might not work in AHCI mode.  Considering the price of a new HDD which will be faster and compatible with current hardware, it seems a no brainer.  You could maybe re-use the IDE drive in a USB enclosure if you want to get some more use out of it.

I don't think you'd need to stretch to something like the R9-380 for what you want to do.  Common photo or video work is not very taxing on the GPU, and the R7-240 sounds fine for what you want to do.  The integrated graphics on the i3-4160 are fine for desktop stuff, but not great.

What I was suggesting was that as the new Skylake processors have better integrated graphics compared to the i3-4160 (they're roughly around the same level as an R7-240), you could, without spending much if any more money, change to a Skylake i5 which will also get you a quad core processor, which is certainly an improvement for things like video rendering.

Just an example - http://pcpartpicker.com/p/v6TX6h

Well I do like it, I don't know alot about this as I mostly been looking at other builds and trying to piece a nice build together.  I see alot of builds with the i3 chip and the 1150 socket.  Maybe a dumb question but will I still have a usb port on the front?

#8 acgolfer

acgolfer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2015 - 09:13 PM

Well i think I found my answer on the USB:             4 x USB 2.0 - header       2 x USB 3.0 - header

Ethernet, Fast Ethernet, Gigabit Ethernet         I take that this is on the board for internet service.

Should I add any fans or coolers?  Look like it come with 2 fans already.

#9 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2015 - 11:17 PM

A CPU cooler/fan is included with the CPU (it's good enough for normal use).  If you are in a particularly hot place or going to be doing a lot of heavy duty use (rendering/folding/etc) then an upgraded CPU cooler wouldn't be a bad idea.  2 case fans will be enough - it's not going to generate masses of heat.

7sbvuf-6.png

#10 acgolfer

acgolfer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2015 - 08:30 PM

Thanks Jonuk, I think I go with your build ideals. 

I planning on doing the free upgrade to Window 10 from my Window 7 Home Edition 32 bit operating system.

Can I use this or should I have a 64 bit copy of Window 7.

#11 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2015 - 09:38 PM

32 bit can only  use up to around 3.5 Gb memory.  It's definitely worth changing to 64 bit.  I believe the Windows 7 retail product keys are valid for both 32 and 64 bit versions.  So if you have a retail (not OEM) version you should be able to download a 64 bit ISO and legitimately use your existing product key on the new computer.  OEM licenses aren't transferable.

7sbvuf-6.png

#12 acgolfer

acgolfer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2015 - 06:53 PM

Hey Jonuk76, I did follow your example, http://pcpartpicker.com/p/v6TX6h

I upgrades the processor slightly from a i5-6400 ti i5-6500, good sale.  Memory  G.Skill Ripjaws V Series.

I received most items. The Fractal Design Define R4 (Titanium Grey) ATX Mid Tower Case is huge and came with the all the front plastic tits that hold the front on broken off.

It look like they out of stock, If I send this back and get a different case, do you have any recommendation and does it has to be this big?

#13 acgolfer

acgolfer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2015 - 07:46 AM

I'm going to look at the Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0 MicroATX Mid Tower Case today.  Hopefully I get it or find something at a reasonable price. Decided to forego the quiet requirement.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users