Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Zonealarm Suite's Firewall And Privacy And Window's Update

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,854 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 21 July 2006 - 09:20 PM

I am rather extreme when it comes to privacy. If you are also and use Windows XP Service Pack 2, this post is for you.

I installed ZoneAlarm Privacy Suite about a week ago. By default I use Mozilla Firefox, but for Window's Update, I use IE.

I have set ZoneAlarm by default to block all cookies, ads, and mobile code. I edit the settings on a per site basis, and then have all cookies expire at the end of the session. When you edit the settings, ZoneAlarm will remember them and you won't have to edit them for that site again.

For Window's Update, you DO NOT have to add it to the trusted site as their website instructs. For the Window's update to work, set ZoneAlarm so that a green check mark appears in the Mobile Code column for Microsoft.com in the site list under the privacy tab.

Your Internet Options in IE in the Internet Zone should have disable checked for unsigned ActiveX, and ActiveX marked as unsafe.

Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins I have set to prompt. Note that my computer is a stand-alone. If you have a house network, you may wish to check "Administrator Approved." ActiveX marked as safe I have set to enable.

I have also enabled automatic prompting for activeX controls. If all the questions drive you buggy, I suppose you could set this to disable, but if you are worried about something being installed on your computer that shouldn't be, click enable just to be on the safe side.

Window's Updater will work fine with these settings in ZoneAlarm and IE internet options.

Also, if you have Automatic Updates turned off, as I do, make sure that in the services area that it is set to manual. Windows Update will not work if Automatic Updates is disabled.

Orange Blossom

Be (I hope) safe and private
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users