Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

INSTALLING A NEW HARD DRIVE

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 liloleguy

liloleguy

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 AM

Posted 07 November 2015 - 05:01 PM

Hi  I'm a new member..I'm old but I have some computer savvy.  One of my computers  -- Sony Vaio desktop touchscreen ---hard drive crashed 2nd time...1st time was in warranty..Sony sent new WD hard drive with four dvds for recovery...Worked fine but now after about 2 half years that hard drive crashed.....I couldn't find exact hard drive found a blue WD with a little more storage...Problem is although said successfully restoring start up files to the new hard drive I get message that I can't access my windows 7.     Tells me to go back to my recovery .     Sony says it's a software problem and the Windows 7 startup files are there.....Just can't be reached because I have to change the bios.....  HELP......I  don't want to spend a fortune on an old computer.....I'm learning TRYING to teach myself to use command prompt....Saw a bunch of files but  don't know what's necessary.  Maybe someone has had the same problem......I know the new hard drive is good.....Just need to get my Windows 7 back.  The Computer is a Sony VAIO desktop Window Home Premium    VPCJ117FX. The recovery dvds  say they are VPCJ110FX series       WINDOWS 7 recovery media for windows 7 products.

Any help would be appreciated

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2015 - 06:33 PM

You need to follow the exact same steps with the new hard drive...as you previosly did when you replaced the hard drive.

Beyond that...I don't know what to tell you.  The recovery-disk process is governed by Sony procedures and should be doeumented in the User Manual for the system.

Louis.

#3 vcolev

vcolev

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 07 November 2015 - 07:42 PM

Your Bios might have to be switched from UEFI to Legacy setting.

#4 gniyps_si_ftosorcim

gniyps_si_ftosorcim

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2015 - 09:50 AM

Perhaps this may help?
https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/30300/c/65,66/p/48903,48904,49805,49824/

c1621330_o.png

Sony support VPCJ117FX: https://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-home.pl?mdl=VPCJ117FX

Edited by gniyps_si_ftosorcim, 08 November 2015 - 09:53 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users