Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CAn someone please remind me how to slow the booting, so I can get into the bios

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,067 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 PM

Posted 07 November 2015 - 01:46 PM

I am trying something today with a windows xp computer, I need to get into the bios. In the past there was something I did, whilst logged into xp, which let me increase the time I had to get into the BIOS during startup. I've forgotten what it was. I cannot stand trying to strike a key (and I don't even yet know whether the correct key on the machine in question is "del", "esc" or one of the f keys) in a limited time, my reactions are slow, I've tried and never succeeded with this. I swear there is a way to make the computer wait and give me chance to enter BIOS settings, I swear I've done it before on windows xp. I've searched google but cannot find it, all I can find are articles saying how to speed up bootng (and they aren't the sort techniques which can be reversed to slow it down). On windows xp does restarting while holding down "shift" or "del" let you boot to the bios setup screen, the way that on windows 8/8.1 holding down "shift" when you restart does? Please tell me how, Thank You.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 PM

Posted 07 November 2015 - 04:30 PM

You can get in the BIOS by using the hot key that correspond with the model of your PC.

Watch the bottom of the screen on boot. There will be a message that tells you which key to press to enter the SETUP. Generally it would be one of the following: F1, F2, F12, F10, DEL, ESC, ENTER...As your PC starts, press the appropriate key repeatedly, about once each second.

If your reactions are slow, understandable, but you were able to see which key you needed to press, restart the computer, & with your finger at the ready on the correct key press it repeatedly

Knowing which make & model of computer you have would narrow down the choices.

I am not aware of any setting in Win XP that would allow you to slow down the boot time. Accessing the BIOS is independent of any OS on your computer because the BIOS is part of your motherboard hardware.

Edited by saw101, 07 November 2015 - 04:30 PM.

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

#3 mrob

mrob

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 PM

Posted 09 November 2015 - 04:03 PM

To interrupt the BIOS, press the Pause-Break key on the upper right of the keyboard.  Press Enter to resume BIOS.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,610 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 11 November 2015 - 12:14 PM

You may have changed the time to show OS in the System Startup and Recovery section.

bootini3.gif

bootini4.gif

Edited by JohnC_21, 11 November 2015 - 12:15 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users