* I have a Dell Inspiron 3847 with Windows 10 release 10.0.10.10240 th1.150930-1750 Preview that I bought on 27 Aug 2015 at a local Best Buy. On 6 Nov 2015 I checked Settings for Updates and saw that the PC needed a restart because an update had downloaded during the night. I restarted the PC and it did its thing until it reached 32% of the install when it abruptly stopped and reverted to a blue screen that said (something like) an error has prevented the update from installing. Windows will search for reason. The PC then goes to a screen that says "restoring your computer to your previous version of Windows." After a couple of minutes I am back on the start screen.
* I checked the Admin Events Log and there were two instances where both 10586 and 10565 Updates failed to install. I contacted MS Support via Chat and was told that the version of Windows 10 was not a retail version and could not be upgraded to 10586/10565 and that I would have to buy off the shelf a copy of Win 10 Home if I wanted my computer up to date and secure. I sent an email to MS asking for confirmation of this and have yet to recieve a response. Plus, I have tried to research MS support at support.windows.com/home to no avail.
* In the Admin Event Log I get the error code of "Failure Error 0x8024200D" for both 10586 and 10565. Researching this error code online and at MS support shows multiple issues with updates not installing on PCs going back to Win Vista. I did try one suggested fix though; I opened a command prompt and executed net start msiserver 'enter' and started Windows Installer and then selected Update 10586 to install again but it failed to install after 32% had completed.
* I am now out of ideas on what to do. I have contacted the retailer who was of no help and also the manufacturer (Dell). Dell is at least sending me Win 10 discs, although I don't know what help that will do if MS chat tech is correct and I can't update the PC. I guess I'll have to nuke the hdd and re-install Win 10 from those discs.
* Anyway, I am asking for help from the very knowledgable BC community on what if anything I might be able to do to salvage this new PC and permit it to upgrade/update past its current build. As always any and all assitance is appreciated.+ System