Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 10 Update 10586 Fails at 32%

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 CainyG

CainyG

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 AM

Posted 07 November 2015 - 01:21 PM

* I have a Dell Inspiron 3847 with Windows 10 release 10.0.10.10240 th1.150930-1750 Preview that I bought on 27 Aug 2015 at a local Best Buy. On 6 Nov 2015 I checked Settings for Updates and saw that the PC needed a restart because an update had downloaded during the night. I restarted the PC and it did its thing until it reached 32% of the install when it abruptly stopped and reverted to a blue screen that said (something like) an error has prevented the update from installing. Windows will search for reason. The PC then goes to a screen that says "restoring your computer to your previous version of Windows." After a couple of minutes I am back on the start screen.

* I checked the Admin Events Log and there were two instances where both 10586 and 10565 Updates failed to install. I contacted MS Support via Chat and was told that the version of Windows 10 was not a retail version and could not be upgraded to 10586/10565 and that I would have to buy off the shelf a copy of Win 10 Home if I wanted my computer up to date and secure. I sent an email to MS asking for confirmation of this and have yet to recieve a response. Plus, I have tried to research MS support at support.windows.com/home to no avail.

* In the Admin Event Log I get the error code of "Failure Error 0x8024200D" for both 10586 and 10565. Researching this error code online and at MS support shows multiple issues with updates not installing on PCs going back to Win Vista. I did try one suggested fix though; I opened a command prompt and executed net start msiserver 'enter' and started Windows Installer and then selected Update 10586 to install again but it failed to install after 32% had completed.

* I am now out of ideas on what to do. I have contacted the retailer who was of no help and also the manufacturer (Dell). Dell is at least sending me Win 10 discs, although I don't know what help that will do if MS chat tech is correct and I can't update the PC. I guess I'll have to nuke the hdd and re-install Win 10 from those discs.

* Anyway, I am asking for help from the very knowledgable BC community on what if anything I might be able to do to salvage this new PC and permit it to upgrade/update past its current build. As always any and all assitance is appreciated.

+ System
    - Provider
      [ Name] Microsoft-Windows-WindowsUpdateClient       [ Guid] {945A8954-C147-4ACD-923F-40C45405A658}
      EventID 20       Version 1       Level 2       Task 1       Opcode 13       Keywords 0x8000000000000028     - TimeCreated
      [ SystemTime] 2015-11-07T02:02:27.979303700Z
      EventRecordID 8483       Correlation     - Execution
      [ ProcessID] 516       [ ThreadID] 9172
      Channel System       Computer DESKTOP-PKIKF26     - Security
      [ UserID] S-1-5-18
- EventData
    errorCode 0x8024200d     updateTitle th2_release Core 10586     updateGuid {8B8530AA-AB0F-43BA-90F6-6EC55A37B2D4}     updateRevisionNumber 1     serviceGuid {8B24B027-1DEE-BABB-9A95-3517DFB9C552}

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2015 - 01:45 PM

[just a guess]

The disks from Dell should be a retail version which, when installed, should solve the problem. If they are a backup/restore set I have no suggestions beyond what you have already received.

Sorry

Dick

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2015 - 06:05 AM

Did the system come with W10 or W8?

FYI - we had some issues with recovery media on some Dell models around the release date (one was my next door neighbor!)

This article states that the OEM key can be used to install build 10565 and later - which would imply that you can use the OEM version on the Insider builds.  http://www.infoworld.com/article/2992176/microsoft-windows/windows-10-beta-build-10565-brings-some-sanity-to-activation.html

Support for the copy of Windows that came with the computer is Dell's responsibility according to the EULA.

Also, the recovery disks would also have to come from Dell, as this is a support issue and Dell is accountable to Microsoft for supporting the reinstallation of the OS.

But, if you're trying to install builds 10565 and 10586,  those builds are not officially supported releases, so the only support available is in online forums and the Insiders program.

Additionally, as such, you should be a Windows Insider in order to use these builds.  Have you submitted questions to the Insiders/Microsoft forums for assistance?

Next, what happened to build 10576?  That's the build that I'm currently running (I'm a Fast Ring Windows Insider).  I've got a restart scheduled to install build 10586.

FWIW - the 10576 build disabled a lot of my stuff - I'm still trying to figure it out before I let it install build 10586

FWIW - my build is based on a Samsung OEM release of W8, which I updated to W8.1, then to W10 back when the releases were still numbered in the 9xxx versions

Also, although Dell recovery disks strongly resemble retail software, they are not.  They contain the codes that identify it as OEM software.
But, AFAIK, there aren't any OEM restrictions on being an Insider.

If the system came w/Win8, then this is an ideal time to install it and then immediately update to W10.

Or, if the system has been activated w/W10 on it (build 10240), the activation should be stored on Microsoft servers - and you should be able to install an ISO of a clean copy of W10 (and have it activated).

Regardless, now's the time to do a clean install of the OS's required to get you back up to W10

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 CainyG

CainyG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2015 - 07:02 AM

* First, thanks @Dicke for your input.  Now, good morning usaams, thanks for your input as well.

* The PC came with Win10 and 12 GBs of RAM. The same one was advertised by Dell.com but with Win 8.1 and 6 GBs of RAM so I thought I was getting a decent deal. I assume the OS is OEM, however, the PC did not come off the shelf with OS discs. I was told by the Best Buy Assoc. that since this was a freebie from MS I could get the Win 10 OS anytime as needed online from MS as a download for Recovery or Update. I don't think Best Buy Geeks installed Win 10 over Win 8.1 and then re-shelved the computer but things are looking in that direction, in my opinion.

* I Chose to be a Windows Insider and have selected the slow option but since this Update/Upgrade problem I have discontinued my activity.

* Sorry, I have no clue about 10576 and can not find a reference to it in any of the logs.

* Dell has sent my discs via FEDEX to be delivered today so I am hoping I can Upgrade the OS without a Format but more than likely I will need to nuke th HDD and start over again.

* MS has not responed to what the Chat Tech told me, (that I couldn't update/upgrade and would need to buy a copy of Win 10) and I am beginning to think the Tech may have been in error. I did speak to MS again via chat and was provided with several links in regards to OS update problems and fixes but none have work out for me yet. I am going to re-read some of the sites to get a better understanding and try the work-arounds.

* I went to Settings and got into a CMD window to do SFC /scannow but an error message came up telling me that another re-start had been scheduled and that I needed to let the PC re-start and finish that repair before this one would work. But when I did re-start the PC and go back with the CMD option the same error showed up.

* Using Win 10s Troubleshooting options it finds an error in the Windows Update (I've forgotten the verbage, sorry) and fixes it but nothing works, 10565/10586 will not install.

********** I got the discs from Dell and they are recovery, not for resale, discs so I am not sure what to do from here cause i think I would be putting the same OS in the PC that I have. At this juncture I ain't real sure:) **********

Edited by CainyG, 09 November 2015 - 03:04 PM.

#5 misstransgender

misstransgender

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 AM

Posted 09 November 2015 - 07:52 AM

* I have a Dell Inspiron 3847 with Windows 10 release 10.0.10.10240 th1.150930-1750 Preview that I bought on 27 Aug 2015 at a local Best Buy. On 6 Nov 2015 I checked Settings for Updates and saw that the PC needed a restart because an update had downloaded during the night. I restarted the PC and it did its thing until it reached 32% of the install when it abruptly stopped and reverted to a blue screen that said (something like) an error has prevented the update from installing. Windows will search for reason. The PC then goes to a screen that says "restoring your computer to your previous version of Windows." After a couple of minutes I am back on the start screen.

* I checked the Admin Events Log and there were two instances where both 10586 and 10565 Updates failed to install. I contacted MS Support via Chat and was told that the version of Windows 10 was not a retail version and could not be upgraded to 10586/10565 and that I would have to buy off the shelf a copy of Win 10 Home if I wanted my computer up to date and secure. I sent an email to MS asking for confirmation of this and have yet to recieve a response. Plus, I have tried to research MS support at support.windows.com/home to no avail.

* In the Admin Event Log I get the error code of "Failure Error 0x8024200D" for both 10586 and 10565. Researching this error code online and at MS support shows multiple issues with updates not installing on PCs going back to Win Vista. I did try one suggested fix though; I opened a command prompt and executed net start msiserver 'enter' and started Windows Installer and then selected Update 10586 to install again but it failed to install after 32% had completed.

* I am now out of ideas on what to do. I have contacted the retailer who was of no help and also the manufacturer (Dell). Dell is at least sending me Win 10 discs, although I don't know what help that will do if MS chat tech is correct and I can't update the PC. I guess I'll have to nuke the hdd and re-install Win 10 from those discs.

* Anyway, I am asking for help from the very knowledgable BC community on what if anything I might be able to do to salvage this new PC and permit it to upgrade/update past its current build. As always any and all assitance is appreciated.

+ System
    - Provider
      [ Name] Microsoft-Windows-WindowsUpdateClient       [ Guid] {945A8954-C147-4ACD-923F-40C45405A658}
      EventID 20       Version 1       Level 2       Task 1       Opcode 13       Keywords 0x8000000000000028     - TimeCreated
      [ SystemTime] 2015-11-07T02:02:27.979303700Z
      EventRecordID 8483       Correlation     - Execution
      [ ProcessID] 516       [ ThreadID] 9172
      Channel System       Computer DESKTOP-PKIKF26     - Security
      [ UserID] S-1-5-18
- EventData
    errorCode 0x8024200d     updateTitle th2_release Core 10586     updateGuid {8B8530AA-AB0F-43BA-90F6-6EC55A37B2D4}     updateRevisionNumber 1     serviceGuid {8B24B027-1DEE-BABB-9A95-3517DFB9C552all ways check your build number before install cross your current build with what your gone down load---- and set up auto install it will install ever thing it can and let you know of the ones it could not you had to do it when you got up auto would have been done by time you got up good  roberta333 computer geek south carolina.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2015 - 07:44 AM

BestBuy/GeekSquad cannot legally install W10 on an unpurchased computer (IMO it violates the EULA from Dell and Microsoft).

They need your consent to legally upgrade it for you.

Dell's disks will likely wipe the hard drive in order to reinstall Windows.
At this point it's your best option - as this should solve any software problems with the system.

If problems continue after the reinstall, then it may be that there is a hardware problem.

If you're an Insider, and have previously updated to different builds, then it stands to reason that the Microsoft chat person had their head up their butt!

Why would Microsoft let you sign up for the program and participate in it - only to tell you later on you'll have to spend a bunch of money?

What version of Windows is on the drive right now?

If it's not in the lower right corner of your screen (just above the clock), then run "msinfo32" (without the quotes) from the Run dialog to see the build number.

If it's any build later than 10240 - then it's an Insider build.

What version of Windows is printed on the disks that Dell sent you?

The Dell disks will only come with build 10240 of Windows 10, and the build number doesn't matter if it's W8/8.1.

Funny thing, I've rebooted my system twice to install the latest build - and I'm still at 10576 and it says I need to restart to install 10586.

I could've sworn that I rebooted for this update yesterday!

Just FYI - I recently had to disable Secure Boot as I was getting BSOD's from a faulty Windows Update.  I wonder if that's affecting my ability to install the new build?

I'll experiment with it later today and will post back if I meet with success.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2015 - 08:21 AM

I just rebooted and build 10586 was successfully installed

Still booting in UEFI mode w/Secure Boot off.

The build watermark has disappeared from the lower right corner also - had to find it in MSINFO32

#8 CainyG

CainyG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2015 - 02:40 PM

Using the NOT FOR RESALE-RECOVERY ONLY disc that Dell sent me I inserted it into the PC at 0740 this morning local EST. It is now 1439 EST and the Recovery process is at only 77%. I hope the Recovery effort is successful because I don't have the time to sit and wait out another attempt.

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2015 - 07:17 PM

With a restore that takes that long, you have to wonder if there's a hardware problem.  Have you run the Dell hardware diagnostics?

#10 Chrissie4224

Chrissie4224

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2015 - 10:48 AM

Hi. I have found the answer to the installation of the latest Windows 10 update th2_release Core 10586. It is simple really. You just need to temporarily disable your security software. Then the installation of the new release of the th2_release Core 10586 will fully install and not get stuck on 32%. After installation you can enable your security software again.

#11 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 AM

Posted 14 November 2015 - 12:58 PM

Hi. I have found the answer to the installation of the latest Windows 10 update th2_release Core 10586. It is simple really. You just need to temporarily disable your security software. Then the installation of the new release of the th2_release Core 10586 will fully install and not get stuck on 32%. After installation you can enable your security software again.

I turned Norton off during this upgrade, and it was stuck at 32% for two hours, and then progressed perfectly

Now I have 1511, 10586

That above tip is a great tip before you upgrade to a new build

-CKing

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst 

Github | Keybase

#12 CainyG

CainyG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2015 - 01:47 PM

I had uninstalled the antivirus software that my internet provider provides (McAffee) and attempted download and install and this had no bearing on the outcome on the install of the updates. I didn't think it would because in would not have been enabled at the initial process after a restart when the download takes affect, I don't think. Anyway, this morning with the release of 1151 not installing on the new Dell Inspiron 3847 I set up my old Dell Studio Desktop 540 purchased March 2009 which I installed Win 10 into back in July. It updated after about 3 hours of download and install time but it is running 1151 without a problem so far. Just have to update all of its programs and such and I guess I go back to using it until in can figure out why the new Dell Inspiron 3847, made in Mexico in May of 2015 and preinstalled with Win10 10240 doesn't want to update/upgrade.

Thanks everyone for your input. This saga ain't over yet.

#13 usasma

usasma

• 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2015 - 05:49 AM

I found a tip yesterday for updating (can't recall the link right now).

Use the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool.

When you first run it, it asks if you want to upgrade the system now - so just click next.

It runs some analysis software and puts some updates (I've done this on 2 systems so far - a Dell laptop and an HP AIO, both which came with 10240 installed (the RTM of W10).

It worked fine, but did take a couple of hours.

At one point you'll get a screen that asks if you want to keep your files and apps - Accept that and the installation will proceed.

Edited by usasma, 16 November 2015 - 05:49 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users