Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Puppy - will try to boot/run from Micro SDcard on Asus T200

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 alamanjani

alamanjani

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 AM

Posted 07 November 2015 - 01:15 PM

I have this one to play with, now that MS is going so snoopy on it's users, no way I want to keep Windows.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NMVEWC6/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

​Problem is, this one is not playing well with linux. I has 64GB SSD is actually non removable eMMC and it is hard coded into the system. Some got partial success getting run ubuntu on it, but recent kernel is not supporting everything yet:

http://www.transformerforums.com/forum/asus-transformer-book-t200-alternate-os-s-development/45670-linux-t200.html

So I understand I may not be successful and that's OK but I would like to try to boot Puppy of Micro SD Card on this machine.

So my question is for Puppy experts, what are the steps I need to do, to get bootable Puppy on (micro)SDcard? Any good link available with easy to follow, beginner friendly step by step tutorial?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,920 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 PM

Posted 07 November 2015 - 03:12 PM

Hi.

Not all PC's can boot from SDcard, The steps to get a Puppy on SD are the same as USB.

Puppy Linux Discussion Forum :: View topic - Boot from SD car

How to Boot Puppy Linux From the SD Card | eHow

Live SD Micro Card with Puppy Linux Distro - YouTube

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#3 alamanjani

alamanjani
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2015 - 04:58 PM

>> Not all PC's can boot from SDcard <<

Yes true, well will try both ways.
And thank you for the links!

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,920 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 PM

Posted 07 November 2015 - 05:04 PM

I have an android tablet I am looking at putting Puppy or Ubuntu touch on. Install Ubuntu Touch - Ubuntu Wiki

You could try installing to a USB stick and booting that way you may need to change the boot order.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#5 alamanjani

alamanjani
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2015 - 11:01 AM

I managed to get some Linux booting (Mint?,can't remember) from USB stick, but it was a lot of silly steps involved, whenever I wanted to boot to Linux, I first need to log into Windows, and follow some 5-6 steps before I could finally run Linux from USB. I had to reboot out of Win to switch something (every time!) to be able to finally boot to Linux :-( My goal/wish is to completely bypass Windows but this device is not cooperating and I'm beginner. I have 64 GB SD card and hope I can use it to boot Puppy of it. Or Ubuntu Touch, doesn't matter as long as I can get rid of currently embedded OS.

Speaking of android tablet, I have Nexus 7, 2013 wi-fi ony for playing with it and I followed some detailed steps on the internet and I installed Kali Nethunter almost year ago. While Kali loads, there is something wrong, tablet resets itself every so often, will not stay one minute on without resetting. Because of this instability, I probably can't do anything else with it. To bad, I would love to have ubuntu touch on it. That would be just perfect.

Anyway, Asus T200 and Puppy on SD card will be my first project. If I ever get this going (I'm completely beginner on Linux) I may one day be able to erase factory mounted eMMC. Right now, since I can't use Linux, I'm not using this computer at all. I *will not* use snoopy Win8 even if this mean I will not use this computer any more at all.

#6 alamanjani

alamanjani
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2015 - 11:27 AM

...but it was a lot of silly steps involved, whenever I wanted to boot to Linux, I first need to log into Windows, and follow some 5-6 steps before I could finally run Linux from USB...

​Steps I needed to do every time I wanted to boot into Linux:

​- turn computer on and long into Windows, wait until fully loaded (sigh!)

​- go to settings, devices, then choose:

​- troubleshoot

​- advanced options

- ​UEFI firmware settings

​- restart

​------------------------------

http://www.jfwhome.com/2014/03/07/perfect-ubuntu-or-other-linux-on-the-asus-transformer-book-t100/

​------------------------------

these steps are needed to finally get into BIOS, where you can temporally disable secure boot, change boot settings, so you can boot from USB stick. What a chore, and you can't erase Windows if you need them to access bios first. :-( MS is doing everything to prevent you from freedom to choose what you want. Lesson learned, next time I'm buying some device I will first search internet and make sure that device is easy convert-able to Linux :-) And I will avoid hard coded eMMC in the future.

​Question, would Puppy on USB/SD card be able to do hibernation. That way, once running Puppy, I can keep hibernate device and avoid those silly steps. I just hate logging into Windows so I can boot into Linux. Haven't touch this device for many months just because of this.

Edited by alamanjani, 08 November 2015 - 11:30 AM.

#7 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,663 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 08 November 2015 - 11:50 AM

https://www.google.com/search?q=does+puppy+linux+use+hibernation&oq=does+puppy+linux+use+hibernation&aqs=chrome..69i57.10386j0j7&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users