About every three months my laptop does this. Here are the problems I've noticed:
1. Chrome will not open or take extremely long to load.
2. When I click on firewall it does not respond and Windows explorer has to be restarted.
3. Audio/video is very laggy, but only on certain programs.
4. Desktop lets me click icon once, but then cannot click any icons until I restart explorer.
I have fixed this problem multiple times.
The cause was usually Windows defender needing an update. As soon as I updated it, everything worked normally again.
Another time, the solution was running Hitman Pro or MalwareBytes, which also made it work again.
This time I can't get anything to work.
I have tried:
1. Updating windows defender
2. Updating Java
3. Checking to make sure firewall service was running
4. Running a malware scan using Hitman Pro and MalwareBytes
I know there has to be something else I can do but I'm not sure what to do next.
I'm running Windows 8.1 64-bit