Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Knoppix on DVD

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 PM

Posted 07 November 2015 - 10:19 AM

It's version 7, not the later point releases, but if you're in the US this is the only way you can get it that I know of.  All the Knoppix download sites I've tried to use over the past year or so, always time out.

Click here for the Amazon page where you can buy the DVD.  Sold by LinuxFreak.

I do believe in paying for Linux.  I wish it were packaged with certain settings so it could just be sold, but I guess no one wants to do that, yet.  All you can get are the 'live' versions, at Amazon.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,696 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 PM

Posted 07 November 2015 - 11:06 AM

I recall we discussed this before. Did you ever try wget?

From my bash history:

wget http://mirrors.sonic.net/knoppix/knoppix-dvd/KNOPPIX_V7.4.2DVD-2014-09-28-EN.iso

and:

wget http://mirrors.sonic.net/knoppix/knoppix-dvd/KNOPPIX_V7.4.2DVD-2014-09-28-EN.iso.md5

#3 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,852 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 07 November 2015 - 11:48 AM

You can't download the bit torrent here: 

http://linuxtracker.org/index.php?page=downloadcheck&id=1b50c3629740dc1facc85eb90543d3ca9568fdf9

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#4 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 995 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2015 - 12:44 PM

Pure curiosity brainout - you haven't been able to successfully download Knoppix from any of the mirrors?

I checked the list here and was able to grab the 7.0 in English and it took about 10 minutes.

Now I was at work and we do have a rather robust internet connection - we're not filtered! (w00t) - but thought it might help.

Winterland - dual booting that Win 7 and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (which I'm loving!)

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

#5 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 07 November 2015 - 05:10 PM

Have you bought this item? If so, was the seller good?

It's version 7, not the later point releases, but if you're in the US this is the only way you can get it that I know of.

It's cheaper from OSDisc (a company based in the USA), plus you're getting 7.4.2 not 7.0. Price is $19.95 (currently on sale for $5.95) + $2.65 Shipping ($3.95 for shipping outside the USA. $3.65 for shipping to Canada.). I personally have never bought from OSdisc.com, but I've heard of them.

I do believe in paying for Linux.

Technically you're not paying for Linux, you're paying for the medium (in this case a DVD), and the labor of loading it with Linux. I agree that being able to buy Linux discs/flashdrives is great, because not everyone has the option to download and create a media themselves.

All the Knoppix download sites I've tried to use over the past year or so, always time out.

Your internet connection sounds as bad as mine :P. It's important to use a fully featured download-manager rather than one built into a browser. This way you can resume incomplete downloads, and avoid download interruptions caused by a poor connection. There are several options out there, but Wget is a good route since it's often pre-installed.

Download Knoppix 7.4.2:
wget -v -t 0 -c -T 15 --waitretry=15 --output-document="/home/$(whoami)/Downloads/Knoppix 7.4.2.iso" "ftp://ftp.mirrorservice.org/sites/ftp.uni-kl.de/pub/linux/knoppix-dvd/KNOPPIX_V7.4.2DVD-2014-09-28-EN.iso"
(You do not need to substitute any values in this command. It will download Knoppix 7.4.2 to a file named "Knoppix 7.4.2.iso" saved in your user's Download folder.)
If the download stops before it completes just re-run the command and it will resume from where it left off. :) The ISO includes both a 32bit and 64bit kernel. You can use it on 32bit or 64bit computers.

Verify The Download Integrity (by hashing the ISO and comparing the checksums):
checksum=$(sha1sum "/home/$(whoami)/Downloads/Knoppix 7.4.2.iso" | sed 's/ .*//g') && result=$(diff -q <(echo -n "$checksum") <(echo -n "03d782f08b774ca9f03699aa3538beef9c885932") | sed 's/.*differ.*/File is bad./g') && if [[ "$result" == "" ]]; then result="File is good."; fi && echo "$result"
(You do not need to substitute any values in this command set. This command set requires sha1sum, diff, and sed, which come pre-installed on many distros.)

#6 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,241 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2015 - 08:18 PM

Me too its why I donate 20 bucks to Canonical every time I install a Ubuntu based distro. I just wouldn’t trust some ISO made by some person selling them on Ebay or Amazon.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#7 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 AM

Posted 07 November 2015 - 08:59 PM

I just downloaded it using "Torrent" on my Windows machine. I also believe in making a donation IF I download and use the distro I am trying out. Like as in "try before you buy". I haven't had a lot of luck with Debian-based Linux,maybe it's just me and i don't know what I am doing yet. Any way - Hollowface has shown you  a very good HOW-TO in Linux and I agree with NickAU- but I would have it up and running before i sent them any money--- just sayin'!

#8 brainout

brainout
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 PM

Posted 09 November 2015 - 02:49 AM

I recall we discussed this before. Did you ever try wget?

From my bash history:

wget http://mirrors.sonic.net/knoppix/knoppix-dvd/KNOPPIX_V7.4.2DVD-2014-09-28-EN.iso

and:

wget http://mirrors.sonic.net/knoppix/knoppix-dvd/KNOPPIX_V7.4.2DVD-2014-09-28-EN.iso.md5

You're right, I didn't try that yet.  Haven't plugged in Linux lately.  Am still trying to protect my machines from Win10.  But will try it.  For the DVD is only version 7, not later.

No, I couldn't download latest 7.x from the mirrors, only the US one was available and then when clicking on it, it always goes into a hang. 

Pure curiosity brainout - you haven't been able to successfully download Knoppix from any of the mirrors?

I checked the list here and was able to grab the 7.0 in English and it took about 10 minutes.

Now I was at work and we do have a rather robust internet connection - we're not filtered! (w00t) - but thought it might help.

Winterland - dual booting that Win 7 and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (which I'm loving!)

Edited by brainout, 09 November 2015 - 02:50 AM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#9 brainout

brainout
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2015 - 02:51 AM

I've not bought it yet.  It's in my Shopping cart, accumulating with the other software stuff.  I buy by category.  Seller is someone I've bought from, before.  I've written to him before also, thanking him and asking him to sell bigger sticks and DVDs.  But that was maybe three years ago.

Thank you for the link to OSdisc.

Yeah, I know we're not paying for the software, but the LABOR to package the package.  I strongly believe in that.  Problem is, places like linuxmint publish your name and the amount you give.  So it's better if someone commercially developed the packaging of the package and sold it in Amazon or something. Prizix is doing that, so too LinuxFreak (I've written them both too) as well as SirTanon.

I'd do this same thing tomorrow if I had your expertise and the time.  This is why I'm so interested in what TheWiz is doing.  I don't understand half of what you and he post, but I'm reading y'all. :)

As for my internet connection, it's Xfinity Blast, which is supposed to be the fastest and best in the nation.  SO I think instead that the servers for Knoppix are always busy, at least when I go there.  Been trying over a year, so this DVD is a great alternative.  One day I'll learn about hashing, etc.

I barely can SPELL 'Linux', right now.  But I'll learn.  Just got to straighten out the Win10 debacle, convert my mindset, and then can break.  Taking over a business right now so it's a longer timeline than I expected.

Have you bought this item? If so, was the seller good?

It's version 7, not the later point releases, but if you're in the US this is the only way you can get it that I know of.

It's cheaper from OSDisc (a company based in the USA), plus you're getting 7.4.2 not 7.0. Price is $19.95 (currently on sale for $5.95) + $2.65 Shipping ($3.95 for shipping outside the USA. $3.65 for shipping to Canada.). I personally have never bought from OSdisc.com, but I've heard of them.

Technically you're not paying for Linux, you're paying for the medium (in this case a DVD), and the labor of loading it with Linux. I agree that being able to buy Linux discs/flashdrives is great, because not everyone has the option to download and create a media themselves.

All the Knoppix download sites I've tried to use over the past year or so, always time out.

Your internet connection sounds as bad as mine :P. It's important to use a fully featured download-manager rather than one built into a browser. This way you can resume incomplete downloads, and avoid download interruptions caused by a poor connection. There are several options out there, but Wget is a good route since it's often pre-installed.

Download Knoppix 7.4.2:
wget -v -t 0 -c -T 15 --waitretry=15 --output-document="/home/$(whoami)/Downloads/Knoppix 7.4.2.iso" "ftp://ftp.mirrorservice.org/sites/ftp.uni-kl.de/pub/linux/knoppix-dvd/KNOPPIX_V7.4.2DVD-2014-09-28-EN.iso"
(You do not need to substitute any values in this command. It will download Knoppix 7.4.2 to a file named "Knoppix 7.4.2.iso" saved in your user's Download folder.)
If the download stops before it completes just re-run the command and it will resume from where it left off. :) The ISO includes both a 32bit and 64bit kernel. You can use it on 32bit or 64bit computers.

Verify The Download Integrity (by hashing the ISO and comparing the checksums):
checksum=$(sha1sum "/home/$(whoami)/Downloads/Knoppix 7.4.2.iso" | sed 's/ .*//g') && result=$(diff -q <(echo -n "$checksum") <(echo -n "03d782f08b774ca9f03699aa3538beef9c885932") | sed 's/.*differ.*/File is bad./g') && if [[ "$result" == "" ]]; then result="File is good."; fi && echo "$result"
(You do not need to substitute any values in this command set. This command set requires sha1sum, diff, and sed, which come pre-installed on many distros.)

Edited by brainout, 09 November 2015 - 02:57 AM.

#10 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,015 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2015 - 02:52 AM

Many Ubuntu based Linux distros has Firefox installed as the default browser. There's an add-on that I discovered years ago that's better than many of the paid alternatives for download management in 'Down Them All'. Just go to the Menu, look for Add-ons, and click onto it. You'll be presented with a page that allows to search for add-ons, and unlike some, Down Them All (DTA) isn't constantly using resources, only when in use, and one of the free apps that I donate to each year, around the holidays. 

Just type or copy/paste Down Them All into the Search box in the upper right of the add-ons page, and it'll be presented for install. Once installed, you'll have a choice with every download to use the standard method just by clicking OK, or choose DTA to drop the file in any folder you desire, sometimes I'll find a useful app for Windows & I'll place it in my Data drive, in the Downloads folder there. By default, these will be downloaded in one's regular Downloads folder on any OS. 

This can help a lot with 'timeout' issues, as there's controls (by default it'll keep trying for 5 minutes if the link drops), this time can be increased if needed. The other thing about DTA is that it milks every last drop of speed possible to get downloads, often exceeding the ISP speed one's paying for. Not to worry, you won't be charged for that. 

That's the first thing I suggest trying & there's the option to also copy/paste the MD5, SHA1 or SHA-256 hashes of a file. There's been a few times when the hash didn't match with Linux Mint ISO's, this could be due to changes added to the ISO & a new MD5 wasn't posted for it. The only thing that I do know, is that the Linux Mint versions still were OK & ran fine. They do make occasional changes to the ISO to include updated drivers. or other minor changes. 

When possible, especially with Linux distros (this may not apply to all), you can choose a faster server to download from, I've found the James Madison University site to be the fastest of the US servers. With this distro, you may or may not have a choice of servers. 

Me too its why I donate 20 bucks to Canonical every time I install a Ubuntu based distro. I just wouldn’t trust some ISO made by some person selling them on Ebay or Amazon.

Me too, Nick! :thumbup2:

I support my Linux distro, not quite the way you do, yet I do make donations to Linux Mint at least 4 times per year, even if $25 is all I can afford. Being that I have lots of Windows & MS Office software that I seldom use, compared to Linux Mint, I feel it's just the rightful thing to do for those who can afford it. The donation can be anything affordable, or if purchasing a Linux Mint ISO, grab it from their Store. 

http://www.linuxmint.com/store.php

That's no typo, they even sell computers preinstalled with Linux Mint. One has an option of an i7-4770K CPU & up to 32GB of DDR3 RAM. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#11 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,015 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2015 - 02:58 AM

I had no troubles with beginning a Knoppix V7.2 download on this page, even using Google Chrome & it was fast, showing less than 9 minutes remaining. 

http://knoppix.hostingxtreme.com/

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#12 brainout

brainout
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2015 - 03:01 AM

Yeah, the Prizix versions are dicey.  But think: someone who doesn't even know how to find the sites for download, and frankly for Ubuntu, Fedora and Debian finding those sites three years ago was a nightmare, and the downloads didn't work (including Mint 13, that was a total nightmare).  So to at least have 'something' to test from Amazon and you can return it, is a godsend.

Linux has sooooo improved over the last three years.  Phenomenal, and just in time too.  I've not re-tried Ubuntu, but yeah I wholly agree with your sentiment.  I initially wanted to pay them the $150 annual support fee per seat, but Unity is so off-putting I decided no.

Of course, then there's the permissions and Store problems, with the Store being closed, but on the other hand now you can replace Unity with KDE (right?) and other improvements.

#13 brainout

brainout
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2015 - 03:03 AM

I just downloaded it using "Torrent" on my Windows machine. I also believe in making a donation IF I download and use the distro I am trying out. Like as in "try before you buy". I haven't had a lot of luck with Debian-based Linux,maybe it's just me and i don't know what I am doing yet. Any way - Hollowface has shown you  a very good HOW-TO in Linux and I agree with NickAU- but I would have it up and running before i sent them any money--- just sayin'!

I'm scared to use Torrent.  Yikes!

#14 brainout

brainout
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2015 - 03:07 AM

I had no troubles with beginning a Knoppix V7.2 download on this page, even using Google Chrome & it was fast, showing less than 9 minutes remaining. 

http://knoppix.hostingxtreme.com/

Cat

Great, I'm sure people finding this Knoppix topic will appreciate that.  As for your comment, "I've found the James Madison University site" -- yeah.  That's where I go to download Mint.

Maybe if I get Chrome it will work, to use the other site.  Point is, I got a DVD I can just buy.  As a Linux newbie, everything that simplifies, helps.

#15 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,241 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2015 - 03:21 AM

but Unity is so off-putting I decided no.

Right you will stay back after school for that and write Unity is brilliant Dash is genius Ubuntu one distro to rule them all 1000 times.

Edited by NickAu, 09 November 2015 - 03:21 AM.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users