Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

KB3075853 Update question ?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Moe_P

Moe_P

• Members
  • 315 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 PM

Posted 07 November 2015 - 09:08 AM

Windows 8.1 x64, This morning when I started up this update showed up, something to do with windows update client and would like to know if I should install it, I have read that some should be ignored and if this one has anything to do with windows 10 I don't want it.  Thanks

Moe_P

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,069 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 PM

Posted 07 November 2015 - 02:04 PM

My personal choice for this update would be not to install it, the windows update client works fine with out it. I suspect, though am not 100% sure, that this update is one of those which modifies the function of windows update to make it capable of downloading windows 10. It's not that this update causes download of windows 10, but not having it makes the download of windows 10 less likely to be possible (because as far as I can tell this update is one of a number needed for the windows update client to be able to download win 10). This update came out a while ago (auagust 2015), I didn't install it then on either machine, they've worked fine without it and I've still been able to download updates which I do need.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#3 Moe_P

Moe_P
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 315 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2015 - 02:21 PM

Thanks rp88, I got rid of a few yesterday after reading about them here, so maybe that's why this one popped up today.

Will hide this one.

Moe_P

#4 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,069 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2015 - 02:27 PM

Updates which are uninstalled will sometimes be offered again. If they are updates you don't want then simply hide them. As long as you have updates on "check automatically but ask me whether I want to download them" then when they do reappear (and on occasion unhide themselves) all you need to do is hide them again, they won't be able to install without your permission.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#5 Moe_P

Moe_P
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 315 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2015 - 04:37 PM

That's how I have it set, I have been following the updates thread.

Moe_P

#6 Moe_P

Moe_P
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 315 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2015 - 07:44 AM

Another one showed up this morning, KB3065988, could you advise on this one.  Thanks

Moe_P

#7 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,069 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2015 - 12:15 PM

KB3065988, I would suggest hiding it, I certainly have hiden it on both my machines. It's very similar in what it does to KB3075853, there are loads of updates in the past few months which have come out as updates for the windows update client, I strongly suspect but am not 100% sure that the purpose of all these rceent updates to the windows update client is to give it the capability to download windows 10. It's not that, as far as I know, these updates to windows update client CAUSE background downloading of wndows 10, but without them I don't think it is POSSIBLE. If some day in the future it turns out that updates like this are actually useful and doing something good you could install them then, but it's easiest for now not to install this update because were you to want that update some day in future it would be easier to install it then than it would be for you if you installed it now then realised some day in the future that you didn't want this update.

P.S. this update MIGHT be listed in my "windows updates monitoring thread" as one to be cautious of, or it might not be mentioned at all. One thing you could do to check for information about updates is to look through that thread using your browser's "search the text on this page" function to look for the numebr of the update you want to know more about, because if it's one I mention somewhere in the thread (if I do mention it then the post will be within a week or so of the release date) you'll quickly be able to tell if an update is one which seems ok to me or one which is known to be problematic or one which sounds a bit concerning.

Edited by rp88, 11 November 2015 - 12:18 PM.

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 PM

Posted 11 November 2015 - 12:23 PM

The KB3065988 is legitimate and not related to Windows 10 at all. It just doesn't have its place on home computers/laptops, because this is update is addressed the system that receives updates via WSUS (mostly used in companies and entreprises).

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3065988

In opposition to the KB3075853, we know what the KB3065988 does, and it's not a shady update at all.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#9 Moe_P

Moe_P
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 315 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2015 - 01:14 PM

ok, thank you both.

Moe_P

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2015 - 01:57 PM

No problem Moe, you're welcome :)

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#11 Moe_P

Moe_P
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 315 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2015 - 04:25 PM

1 curious thing tho, I have the updates that concern Win 10 hidden, but when I install an update it still shows "Downloading windows 10" in the update box,  but the downloads I check come through fine.

Edited by Moe_P, 11 November 2015 - 04:26 PM.

Moe_P

#12 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2015 - 05:21 PM

Yes, this is a graphical bug in the Windows Update panel. However, my Instructor on Sysnative told me that it could be caused by a certain setting in the Registry. Follow the instructions below please.

EndqYRa.pngExport Custom Registry Key
Follow the instructions below to export the key specified below from the Registry and upload it.
  • On Windows Vista & 7, click on the Windows Start Menu, then enter cmd in the search box, right-click on the cmd icon and select Spcusrh.pngRun as Administrator
  • On Windows 8, drag your cursor in the bottom-left corner, and right-click on the metro menu preview, then select Command Prompt (Admin);
  • On Windows 8.1, right click on the Windows logo in the bottom-left corner and select Command Prompt (Admin);
  • Enter the command below and press on Enter;
    reg export "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate" "%userprofile%\Desktop\Export.txt"
  • A file called Export.txt will appear on your desktop;
  • Upload the file on Dropbox, Google Drive or OneDrive and post the download URL here;

Edited by Aura, 11 November 2015 - 05:21 PM.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#13 Moe_P

Moe_P
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 315 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2015 - 07:00 PM

Attached File  Registry.jpg   46.5KB   0 downloads

I get a syntax error when I hit the enter key, also I've never used dropbox or the others, I have a Dropbox shortcut on the desktop of this machine but have no idea how to use it.

Is their supposed to be a space between WindowsUpdate" and "%userprofile%

Edited by Moe_P, 11 November 2015 - 07:05 PM.

Moe_P

#14 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2015 - 07:01 PM

You didn't add a space between the key name and file name. The "" are stick together.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#15 Moe_P

Moe_P
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 315 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2015 - 08:34 PM

ok, I got the text file installed, Dropbox and put the file in it and copied the url, hope this works..

file:///C:/Users/moe/Dropbox/Export.txt

Didn't work, don't know what I'm supposed to be doing, I'm not a computer geek, your gonna have to explain how to do this or we can just forget it.

Well let me try this one.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pm5zz8o98r0n6c2/Export.txt?dl=0

Edited by Moe_P, 11 November 2015 - 08:43 PM.

Moe_P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users