Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

One big mess!!

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 oxojohn

oxojohn

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 AM

Posted 07 November 2015 - 07:18 AM

I am a silly old fool that’s in one big mess!

I downloaded the free upgrade of windows 10 from windows 7 a few weeks ago, yesterday I had a pop-up telling me that my Avast subscription had only a few days left, so I decided to check the web for reviews on the best anti-virus to have, and decided on Avira and downloaded it.

All was fine until I explored the program and found out it came bundled with various tools it said to help your computer to run smoothly and faster, me being gullible went ahead and ran these programs, such as defrag this and defrag that, stop programs that are not need for start-up, quickening log on times ext ext, but unfortunately lots of things then refused to work, but instead of leaving well alone and asking advice I crashed around trying everything I could to resolve the problem, so in desperation, I decided to install a copy of my hard drive that I had saved on a CD with the free Macrium reflect,  "big mistake"   this is my first try at doing this, all seemed to be going well and I felt very pleased with myself,................until windows 7 same onto the screen, and I found out it was a copy of windows 7 on the CD that I had loaded "GULP"

After getting over that shock, I thought, no problem, I will download the free windows 10 upgrade again and everything will be back to normal again, the Microsoft website allowed me to download it again without any problems and the computer re-booted OK! but windows 7 loaded instead of windows 10 "GASP"

I have now come up to a brick wall and do not know what to do next, please help if you are prepared to deal with a complete idiot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Regards.

John.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 panthera0404

panthera0404

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 AM

Posted 07 November 2015 - 09:42 AM

if you upgraded windows 7 to windows 10 you can do this. if you are ok with clean install, just download windows 10 iso

1. go to this site https://www.microsoft.com/hr-hr/software-download/windows10 download tool(32bit or 64bit depends on your windows)
2. run tool, 
3. select "create  ins. media for another PC"
4. select language (czech is deafault for some reason), select version (windows 10 pro) and select 64bit windows
5. select USB flash (insert USB stick with at least 4GB)
6. select letter of your USB drive
7. wait for tool to download and finish USB
8. reset your PC
9. after PC restarts press f9, f11, esc depending on your computer (it should be on screen "press Fxx boot mode)
10. select USB 
11, install windows

when prompted for key skip it.(few times)

#3 blueelvis

blueelvis

Bleep Blop Bleep

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,666 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 AM

Posted 07 November 2015 - 10:14 AM

@panthera0404 - That's because the link you have provided belongs to the Czech region. See the locale part of the URL. It is pointing to hr-hr. So, if you replace hr-hr with en-us, you would get the download link to the English version with English language :)

@John - Use this link instead for downloading the installer - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

-Pranav

Member of the Bleeping Computer A.I.I. early response team!

In case I have been helping you and you haven't received a reply from me in 48 hours, please feel free to PM me. Anything else? Still feel free to PM me :)

Did you read this? http://omgdebugging.com/5-tips-for-getting-the-best-bang-for-the-buck-at-fast-food-joints/

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 AM

Posted 08 November 2015 - 06:03 AM

Just FYI - if you have installed W10 previously and have activated it while connected to the internet - you now own a legal copy of W10.

The process to get it back is this:

- connect the computer to the internet (a wired connection is best, wireless may not work immediately)

- install W10 from a downloaded ISO file ( http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/media-creation-tool-install )

- skip the request to enter the product key

- tell the system "do it later" (or something similar) the second time it asks for a product key.

- finish the installation and check to see that the system has been activated (Start...Settings...Update & Security...Activation)

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 oxojohn

oxojohn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2015 - 06:23 AM

Many thanks to you both for your quick responce.  panthera0404,  I did not want to do a clean install because it frightens the life out of me lol but many thanks.

Blueelvis.  I did as you suggested and all went very smoothly and I was up and running again without any problems, after about 2 hours I shut the computer down.

Later when I logged on again it did exactly as it did when I installed it the first time, I can not get onto the web for some reason, unless I borrow a laptop off a friend of mine which I am using now, last time it seemed to right itself but this time it stays the same, it also permanently shows a yellow triangle in the little window at the bottom right of the screen, so I decided to investigate with my very little knowledge.

I found where it checks for problems, and it reports that it has no IP address configured and it says unidentified network, also its using the Public Network instead of the Home!.

I have tried clicking the Home Network to try and change it,but to no avail.

Regards.

John.

#6 oxojohn

oxojohn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2015 - 06:35 AM

Hi Usasma. I have just downloaded it for the second time and it did not ask me for the product key and installed OK, I suppose this must be OK ? Thanks.

Regards.

John. 

#7 BIGBEARJEDI

BIGBEARJEDI

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 PM

Posted 08 November 2015 - 09:00 AM

Hi John,

So you got your W10 working again?  Or do you still need help?

<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

#8 oxojohn

oxojohn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2015 - 09:29 AM

Hi John,

So you got your W10 working again?  Or do you still need help?

<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Hello BIGBEARJEDI, see my earlier post above, I am struggling with my internet connection now. thanks.

John.

#9 BIGBEARJEDI

BIGBEARJEDI

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2015 - 10:32 AM

Hi John,

Glad I asked.  Yes, you made a mess of things for sure.  But we can help you get it going again.

I believe we need to do a more exhaustive troubleshooting for you specific situation; to do this the very first thing we need is the EXACT Make/Model of your computer or laptop/table that is giving you the problems with the Internet connection.  If you don't have that information or you have a self-built or custom-built PC, please download the free SPECCY program from piriform.com and post the output testing result text file back here to this thread so we can tailor a more customized solution for you.

Here's the thing you need to realize.  You are not alone; thousands upon thousands of people are having problems with their Win10 upgrades!! I volunteer on multiple tech forums on the Internet--and I see many many problems just like yours every single day of the week since the release of Win10 back on July 29th earlier this year.  The #1 reason people have problems, is that if their (or your) computer or laptop was not completely healthy (99%+) prior to the Win10 upgrade; problems ensue!!

This is a well known fact and has been a constant going back to release of Windows95 in 1995--20 years ago.  This is nothing new.  It sounds you and a great many people are attempting to do their very first Operating System (OS) upgrade on your own since everyone including Microsoft is advertising in the media just how easy it is to do.  This is certainly not true!!  There are hundreds of people every day all over the globe posting online all the woes they incurred trying to do this upgrade; both first-timers and people who have done OS upgrades many times.

Now the tools Microsoft has for identifying whether your computer is healthy enough for the upgrade (Win10) or not have improved vastly--and you should have used that PRIOR to attempting your upgrade.  The problem is that Microsoft doesn't advertise this tool very well, and very few non-professional computer techs (i.e.: Home Users) would ever know how to find it, that it even exists, or how to use it!  By the way the tool in the current iteration is called the MICROSOFT COMPATIBILITY TEST, which generates the MICROSOFT COMPATIBILITY REPORT.  Here's the link on how to do this: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/6728-get-windows-10-app-check-compatibility-report-windows-10-a.html

It turns out that this Test is built right into Win10, but people either bypass running it, since they don't understand what it is or what is does, but it can also be run from the Microsoft.com website independently from the Win10 installer.  This is an epiphany-level piece of information you probably didn't have prior to clicking the little Windows flag in your system tray for the Win10 upgrade!

The C-Test as I'll shorten it to, tells you if you have failing hardware or incompatible programs or drivers that will prevent Win10 from installing properly or if it does install, many of your devices won't work correctly: such as Wifi internet, touchpad, disk drive, webcam, lcd monitor display (internal/external), etc.  The C-Test will also tell you to replace bad programs with their newer versions, or completely uninstall them until the Win10 upgrade can be completed.  Once completed, you can attempt to reinstall the program--if it crashes your Windows--clearly it's incompatible and you must delete it.  You can try to go back to the company or author of the program and see if they have a newer version of the program that will work with Win10.  You may have to wait a week, a month, a year, or possibly never if that software company is out of business!  This is the same with drivers for devices inside your computer too.

Given this information, you're probably thinking to yourself, I could have saved a lot of time and frustration if I just would have taken my computer into my local repair shop or independent licensed Computer Pro and paid them to do it for me; right?  Well, again, you're not alone.  They know about the C-Test, how to run it, why it should be run, and what the results mean, and what to do about it to correct them.  This is well worth the $40-$120 they charge--at least in the US.  Could be 2-3 times that in the UK where you are.  Australia particularly is off the charts at $600 for an OS upgrade. 

Next, here's what I recommend you do while we are waiting for you to post back the specifics of your computer specs.  You will need to take from 2-4 days out of your schedule non-stop to do some advanced troubleshooting and repair of your computer.  Here's a document I created for another Win7 user who crashed his machine horribly after attempting and botching his Win10 upgrade.  Here's the link: http://windowsforum.com/threads/cursor-cannot-reach-top-of-quick-launch-area.214710/#post-654289

This is a very long post, of necessity, but is a step-by-step instruction on how to test both your hardware and software running on your computer, whichever make/model it is.  You MUST test your hardware first; contrary to what many people post here on this forum; they like to jump to a software solution.  Unfortunately, as I outlined above, if your hardware fails, and you attempt various software repairs, THERE IS NO SOFTWARE ON THE PLANET THAT CAN FIX FAILED HARDWARE!!!

Once you verify your hardware is ok, and you replace any failing or failed components; you can then proceed with the software diagnostics and repairs.  Make special note of the Backup Caution; some or all of these repairs can cause irretrievable data loss from your computer if you do something wrong.  Once again, this is why professional computer repair people like me get paid for their knowledge and skill in fixing computers.  Seems obvious, but many people prefer to attempt on their own, and only will take it to a Pro when they get seriously stuck. :blush:   Other people simply don't have the financial resources, such as Seniors on a fixed income or pension.

This is a lot of information to take in.  So, you might want to take a couple of reads of this post to try and wrap your head around it.

Post back your specs, and we'll advise you then shortly.

If you do decide to tackle fixing your machine yourself (DIY), be prepared to be patient as I said above, this is not going to be a 5 min. fix as many millenials will tell you if you ask them to help. :o   Also, ask questions if you are unsure about doing something, there are No Stupid Questions here.  It's always better to ask one of us Pros about something you are not too sure about, than to just do it, because you are feeling pressured to get your machine working again, or frustrated at lack of progress.  Ok?

<<<BBJ>>>  :thumbup2:   :cowboy:  

Edited by BIGBEARJEDI, 09 November 2015 - 10:39 AM.

#10 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,655 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 AM

Posted 09 November 2015 - 01:12 PM

BBJ although your post #9 is a long read it is well worth having posted it.

I am not an expert but I volunteer at our senior citizens organization and information that is well presented helps me carry on with what needs to get done.

I plan on upgrading my Win7 Pro to Win10 after the Nov Windows Updates are completed.

Based on what I learn by hands-on experience I hope I'll be able to help out at the senior citizen center

I double checked your worksheet for Win7 and I've actually started one for Win10 for when I get to it.

If my interest was only my computer I feel I could handle the upgrade or non-upgrade but others are in mind I hope to serve them well

#11 Norseman143

Norseman143

• Members
  • 300 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 PM

Posted 09 November 2015 - 07:24 PM

You should have just renewed your Avast subscription

I have been usingthe free version of  Avast for years,And it works great with Windows 10

#12 oxojohn

oxojohn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2015 - 08:17 AM

Many thank to you folks for taking the time to reply.

bigbearjedi. You have obviously gone to loads of time and trouble posting that long and very informative information, and I sincerely thank you, unfortunately I have only just returned from my local computer repair shop after leaving my desktop computer with them, only requesting them to sort my internet connection so I am able to get back online, because I am now using a borrowed laptop to reply to your post.

As you know, I have unfortunately already downloaded windows 10 and wish I had your post to read before downloading it, I hope that when I get my desktop computer back from the repairer, I am able to call on your services yet again if its still giving me problems. whatever the situation is I will leave an update.

Regards.

John.      

#13 BIGBEARJEDI

BIGBEARJEDI

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2015 - 11:20 AM

BBJ although your post #9 is a long read it is well worth having posted it.

I am not an expert but I volunteer at our senior citizens organization and information that is well presented helps me carry on with what needs to get done.

I plan on upgrading my Win7 Pro to Win10 after the Nov Windows Updates are completed.

Based on what I learn by hands-on experience I hope I'll be able to help out at the senior citizen center

I double checked your worksheet for Win7 and I've actually started one for Win10 for when I get to it.

If my interest was only my computer I feel I could handle the upgrade or non-upgrade but others are in mind I hope to serve them well

>>>Thanks!  Glad to help.  I too take care of our local Senior Center, and am now their IT guy for the last 2 yrs. or so.  So, I get what you're trying to do, nice job there!  I've taken care of other Senior Centers in my old neighborhood for another 3 yrs. or so too.  the local Computer Club here where I live now is primarily Seniors (about 95% of the membership), and I've been teaching Seniors computer technology for 10 years at both the Community College and 3 Adult Schools as well.  Therefore, most of my customers are seniors--I now am in that category myself--and many of my customers are older than me but for various reasons they got bypassed by the Computer Revolution, or just hid out in a Cave somewhere.  Beleive it or not, we get new Members show up to our Club meetings seeking information and help, and they often will bring a brand new laptop or a tablet to the meeting, and ask us how to turn it on!!  Absolute 100% novices and computer illiterate.  One other thing I might suggest to you is that prior to running my checklist of things to do before upgrading your Seniors is to download a tested Image Cloning program that's compatible with both Win7/8/8.1/8.1.1 and Win10.  I'll attach a document here that will help you that.  You should purchase or obtain a separate external USB hard drive for this purpose, and Image Clone every single hard drive of every laptop or tablet you are planning on upgrading. 

Here's the document:

WINDOWS 10 WORKSHOP: WIN10 BACKUP

#1: STAND-ALONE INCREMENTAL/DIFFERENTIAL/FULL BACKUP PROGRAMS

1. Windows10 File Explorer

2.  EaseUS Todo Backup Free 8.6
http://www.todo-backup.com/products/home/free-backup-software.htm

3.  AOEMI Backupper Standard 3.0
http://www.backup-utility.com/free-backup-software.html
4.  Recuva
       http://www.piriform.com/recuva

5.  Paragon Backup and Recovery 14 Free Edition
https://www.paragon-software.com/home/br-free/

#2: CLOUD-BASED INCREMENTAL/DIFFERENTIAL/FULL BACKUP PROGRAMS
1.  CARBONITE cloud-based backup (fee-based)
http://www.carbonite.com

2.  CRASH PLAN cloud-based backup (fee-based)
http://www.code42.com/crashplan/

WINDOWS 10 WORKSHOP: WIN10 BACKUP

#3: IMAGE CLONING BACKUP PROGRAMS*-[tested with Win10]

1. Macrium Reflect Free
http://www.macrium.com/

2.  Acronis True Image 2016
http://www.acronis.com/en-us/personal/computer-backup/

**********************************************************************************************

This should help you, as I mentioned in my post, whether you are getting paid or doing this for free to help out your neighbors, you will definitely need to consider taking cautions.  Remember to, that if Seniors already did their W10 upgrades, scrambled things and are asking you to fix it--REMEMBER YOU ONLY HAVE 30 DAYS FROM THE W10 INSTALL DATE FOR A FREE "UNDO" FROM MICROSOFT TO ROLLBACK TO THE PREVIOUS VERSION, I.E. WIN7/8/8.1/8.1.1.   I suggest you disseminate this information or post a bulletin on the bulletin board at your Senior Center about this.  Another good way to do this is to get a hold of your Senior Center director or president and see if you can send an E-mail to your Senior Membership group list.  We have over 500 members on our list--we're small center since it's a rural resort community; but still it's worth doing to let people know.  Most of my Clients who have scrambled their computers due to the W10 upgrade are newbies and have no idea there is a time limit like this; they are embarrased that they screwed it up and often wait weeks or months before they will enlist the services of a Computer Pro like you or I to fix it.  Then when they do contact us, it's too late for the easy fix, and we have to take the long way around to fix things. <<<

Good luck with your upcoming upgrades. :thumbup2:

<<<BBJ>>>    

Edited by BIGBEARJEDI, 10 November 2015 - 11:22 AM.

#14 Atomic77

Atomic77

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 PM

Posted 14 November 2015 - 11:26 PM

To the creator of this post. you are not a idiot. :)

ATOMIC77

​GEEKED AT BIRTH

#15 oxojohn

oxojohn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2015 - 07:39 AM

To the creator of this post. you are not a idiot. :)

Thank you Atomic77.

Are you telling me that my dear wife is wrong!!................if so, you are a braver man than me.  :hysterical:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users