Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows won't boot after power outage

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 thepokey

thepokey

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 07 November 2015 - 06:17 AM

I've seen people post similar issues but no real idea what the actual problem is that's causing it.

This happened about a month ago when the power went out and I couldn't find a way around it so I had to format and start all over again. The Power went out and now Windows won't boot again. When I try to boot it I get the blue screen message "Your PC needs to be repaired. The boot configuration data file is missing some required information: File:\Boot\BCD error code: 0xc0000034"

It then says I need to use my windows media to repair it. So I put in the USB and attempt the repair which it says it can't do. It also won't refresh or reset. Seems to again be leaving me with the only option of formatting. I can't keep doing this each time the power goes out. Is there a reason this will keep happening?

It never used to happen with a power outage before with the same Windows installed, only difference I can think of was that I am using a SSD now to run Windows and before that it didn't happen. Is it possible that now when I install Windows it isn't installing it properly and is instead installing it without whatever this bit of data is that is needed in case of unexpected shut downs? It's a legit copy of Windows that I got with the PC when I bought it so I would assume there shouldn't be any problems when you install it?

Edited by Orange Blossom, 13 November 2015 - 10:22 AM.
Moved to BSOD forum from Windows 8. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thepokey

thepokey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2015 - 06:50 AM

In addition to this.. I tried to format and now it won't even let me do that. I get an error stating "Windows could not update the computer's boot configuration, installation cannot proceed"

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 08 November 2015 - 10:34 AM

The BCD is the Boot Configuration Data.  This is part of the System Reserve partition which is used to boot Windows.  

Did you enable the F8 key so you can use it to boot into Safe Mode?

Did you create a repair disc when you first got this computer?

What is the make and model of this computer?

Is this Windows 8 or 8.1?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 thepokey

thepokey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2015 - 10:47 AM

The BCD is the Boot Configuration Data.  This is part of the System Reserve partition which is used to boot Windows.  

Did you enable the F8 key so you can use it to boot into Safe Mode?

Did you create a repair disc when you first got this computer?

What is the make and model of this computer?

Is this Windows 8 or 8.1?

Yeah tried booting in safemode and it just does nothing. Like,its the same as trying to boot it normally. Either it will just sit at a blank screen after the windows loading screen or, after you restart it because that isn't doing anything, it tells you windows didn't shut down properly last time and restarts itself and the cycle continues.

I did not create a repair disc when I first got it no, I'm not really all that tech smart so unfortunately fundamental things like that I wouldn't really even have cross my mind :(

The computer is custom made from a shop, they built my last 2 PCs before this and have a great reputation and never had issues before so yeah. The thing is, I never had a problem with windows and this particular PC until I upgraded my system hardrive to a SSD. When I think back, the first power outage after that upgrade was the first time the problem happened.

The USB with windows I have is Windows 8.

So my current thinking is that I get windows 10, if that installs properly and if the next power outage doesn't cause a problem, then it must have had to do with the Windows I was installing? It wasn't installing all the data it needed to?

OR, if the problem persists, then it is most likely something to do with the SSD and I should look at getting it exchanged under warranty? (its only 4 months old)

That's sort of my current way of thinking/diagnosing the issue, unless people can think of something else?

Either way, I eventually got it formatted and have it running again which is something .. its right in the middle of exam period so I can't really be without it for the next 2 weeks :(

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 AM

Posted 08 November 2015 - 10:54 AM

Along with following the advice given by dc3, please purchase and install an UPS.  While the software coming with it may or may not be needed, at least a major problem -- losing the computer's "drive-train"  [power supply, motherboard, memory, HD] is avoided.

Edited by RolandJS, 08 November 2015 - 10:55 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2015 - 11:30 AM

If you were trying to boot into Safe Mode using the F8 key after pressing the power button it will not work in Windows 8/8.1.  Windows 8 start so fast that there is no time to enter the F8 command, therefore it was not included in Windows 8 and 10.  When you can boot into Windows 8 properly you can enable the F8 key to use it at the startup.  But if you have a problem with the MBR or BCD you probably will not be able to do this.  

When the  power is suddenly removed from a desktop computer, or a laptop running exclusively from the adapter this can damage files.  In this case it appears that the BCD was damaged.  A laptop has a battery which can provide enough time to close all of your programs that are running and then turn off the computer until the power turns back on.  As suggested above, you can purchase a UPS (Uninterruptable Power Supply) which will provide power when the line voltage has been removed. 

Place your USB flash drive in one of the USB ports and press the power button.

You should see a message telling you to press any key to boot from the dis, I usually press Enter since it's easy to see.

When the install screen pops up, look to the bottom left and select "Repair Your Computer".

You will now see a screen that says "Choose an option". Select "Troubleshoot", then "Advanced Options", and finally "Command Prompt".

When the Elevated Command Prompt opens copy and paste bootrec /rebuildbcd in the Command Prompt, then press Enter.

You will see the following.

Scanning all disks for Windows installations.

This may take a while, please do not stop the scan.

If this was successful you will receive the following message.

Successfully scanned Windows installations.
Total identified Windows installations: 0
The operation completed successfully.

Edited by dc3, 08 November 2015 - 11:38 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2015 - 11:41 AM

In addition to what I posted above, you should run sfc /scannow from the command prompt after you have had a power outage.  This will repair damaged or corrupt Windows files.

#8 thepokey

thepokey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2015 - 11:49 AM

If you were trying to boot into Safe Mode using the F8 key after pressing the power button it will not work in Windows 8/8.1.  Windows 8 start so fast that there is no time to enter the F8 command, therefore it was not included in Windows 8 and 10.  When you can boot into Windows 8 properly you can enable the F8 key to use it at the startup.  But if you have a problem with the MBR or BCD you probably will not be able to do this.  

When the  power is suddenly removed from a desktop computer, or a laptop running exclusively from the adapter this can damage files.  In this case it appears that the BCD was damaged.  A laptop has a battery which can provide enough time to close all of your programs that are running and then turn off the computer until the power turns back on.  As suggested above, you can purchase a UPS (Uninterruptable Power Supply) which will provide power when the line voltage has been removed. 

Place your USB flash drive in one of the USB ports and press the power button.

You should see a message telling you to press any key to boot from the dis, I usually press Enter since it's easy to see.

When the install screen pops up, look to the bottom left and select "Repair Your Computer".

You will now see a screen that says "Choose an option". Select "Troubleshoot", then "Advanced Options", and finally "Command Prompt".

When the Elevated Command Prompt opens copy and paste bootrec /rebuildbcd in the Command Prompt, then press Enter.

You will see the following.

Scanning all disks for Windows installations.

This may take a while, please do not stop the scan.

If this was successful you will receive the following message.

Successfully scanned Windows installations.
Total identified Windows installations: 0
The operation completed successfully.

Cheers :) Yeah I didn't try safemode via the F8 key but when it gives you a few different options on how to boot windows one of them was safe mode, so when I tried that I didn't get any sort of different response.

I figured the power outage must have damaged it somehow. But, would you not think its a little strange that no power outage I've ever had (in like, 15 years of having my own PCs) has ever cause this problem,then suddenly, having it happen twice in a row and the only change since then was the SSD? 

Yeah I had a friend recommend a UPS which definitely looks like a good back-up option, although cost wise I probably won't be able to afford one for a bit. But yeah, something I'll look into!

As for the command prompt, I'll give that a try - what exactly is it supposed to do? Now that I have formatted and re-installed, should windows technically not be all set up correctly and only another power outage would tell me what happens next? If it happens again, and I am not able to repair it, theoretically, should using this command prompt to rebuild the missing component let windows repair itself so that I can access it again without needing to format?

#9 thepokey

thepokey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2015 - 11:50 AM

In addition to what I posted above, you should run sfc /scannow from the command prompt after you have had a power outage.  This will repair damaged or corrupt Windows files.

I will definitely try this next time - I'll note all these ideas down so that if it happens again I have some new things to try before having to resort to a full format. Although, how exactly do I run that from the command prompt? What do I type in? Just simply "sfc/scannow" ?

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2015 - 12:37 PM

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces corrupted and incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

To run sfc /scannow in Windows 8 you will need to open the Elevated Command Prompt.  The easiest way to do this is to press the Windows key windowskey_zps092d5c75.png and the X key at the same time.   A menu will open with the option Command Prompt (Admin), click/tap on this.

You will see a window similar to the one below.

command%20prompt%20w8_zpsxjmewau9.png

When the Elevated Command Prompt opens copy and paste in sfc /scannow, then press Enter.

This will take a while,  have patience and allow it finish.  Stopping this scan could damage files. 

Edited by dc3, 08 November 2015 - 12:37 PM.

#11 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 AM

Posted 08 November 2015 - 12:59 PM

"...Yeah I had a friend recommend a UPS which definitely looks like a good back-up option, although cost wise I probably won't be able to afford one for a bit. But yeah, something I'll look into!..."  --thepokey

It costs.  Mine was $100.00+- for computer center, $70 for vhs/dvd center.  However, how much is several hours of your labor worth?  How much would you pay to replace, worst-case-scenario:  power supply, motherboard & memory?

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#12 thepokey

thepokey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2015 - 03:25 PM

"...Yeah I had a friend recommend a UPS which definitely looks like a good back-up option, although cost wise I probably won't be able to afford one for a bit. But yeah, something I'll look into!..."  --thepokey

It costs.  Mine was $100.00+- for computer center, $70 for vhs/dvd center.  However, how much is several hours of your labor worth?  How much would you pay to replace, worst-case-scenario:  power supply, motherboard & memory?

Def a valid point, just that I'm a student at the moment so budget is stretched extremely thin. Although, regardless of what happens with all this, I'll definitely look to have one set up before next year's uni course begins so that I can be protected to help safe guard against losing stuff before I get it saved to an external.

#13 thepokey

thepokey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2015 - 03:27 PM

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces corrupted and incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

To run sfc /scannow in Windows 8 you will need to open the Elevated Command Prompt.  The easiest way to do this is to press the Windows key windowskey_zps092d5c75.png and the X key at the same time.   A menu will open with the option Command Prompt (Admin), click/tap on this.

You will see a window similar to the one below.

command%20prompt%20w8_zpsxjmewau9.png

When the Elevated Command Prompt opens copy and paste in sfc /scannow, then press Enter.

This will take a while,  have patience and allow it finish.  Stopping this scan could damage files. 

Awesome :) Is this something I should do now even though windows is back installed and running again? Like .. would anything actually be damaged now? I would assume that right now everything is 'normal' after a clean format and it would be the next power outage which could do the damage/that this would fix?

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2015 - 03:31 PM

With a fresh installation you shouldn't need to run the system file scan.  My suggestion was meant for use after a power outage.

By the way, you don't need to quote previous posts.

#15 thepokey

thepokey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2015 - 03:41 PM

Cheers thanks :) What I'm planning to do is pick up a copy of windows 10 today, do another format/fresh install of it and then force a power outage myself just by shutting the power off. That'll give me a chance to firstly test whether the problem persists with a new copy of windows to install and secondly try out the above command prompt if the problem does persist. 

As I say, I'm guessing that if the problem continues then it could be a fair chance it would be the new SSD I got somehow causing problems due to it never happening before? In that case i can just go about seeing how I can get an exchange under warranty. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users