Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spywareblaster 5.2 does not work with Google Chrome

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 Beaker77

Beaker77

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 PM

Posted 07 November 2015 - 05:06 AM

I have used SWB for many years with no problems. Over recent months, SWB has not worked with Chrome. I have tried everything I know to cure the problem, including a complete uninstall with Revo Uninstaller and reinstall, with absolutely no progress.

SWB always comes up  with 239 items partially disabled in Chrome. I searched the web on this and found a lengthy thread on Wilders - http://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/spywareblaster-5-2-released-google-chrome-windows-10-and-more.377970/

Obviously I am not alone on this matter. Whilst the thread seems very thorough, I have found nothing said which helps.

Have the BC  experts any enlightening comments to make that may help ?

My Chrome version is bang up to date at 46.0.2490.80 m and I use Windows XP Home with SP3.

Thank you.

Here is the SWB panel :-

CQXGYYy.jpg

Edited by Beaker77, 07 November 2015 - 05:08 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TulsaRose

TulsaRose

• Members
  • 367 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 PM

Posted 07 November 2015 - 06:27 AM

Have you clicked on Enable All Protection?  Try that then do the new update and see if it solves the problem.

WinXP Pro sp3 \ Firefox, Panda, MBAM, SAS, SpywareBlaster

#3 Beaker77

Beaker77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2015 - 06:42 AM

Have you clicked on Enable All Protection?  Try that then do the new update and see if it solves the problem.

Done it  with  no joy.

I honestly think  that  recent SWB versions have included some embargo on either Chrome or Windows XP. Other than that, it is a problem which nobody at SWB appears to  care about.

But as I use Sandboxie with Avast, my security does not depend on SWB.

Edited by Beaker77, 07 November 2015 - 06:46 AM.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,751 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 07 November 2015 - 06:46 AM

They have a knowledgebase article for issues with Mozilla Firefox but nothing for Google Chrome.

You may want to ask via Submit a Support Ticket (SpywareBlaster AutoUpdate Department).
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 Beaker77

Beaker77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2015 - 06:50 AM

They have a knowledgebase article for issues with Mozilla Firefox but nothing for Google Chrome.

You may want to ask via Submit a Support Ticket (SpywareBlaster AutoUpdate Department).

That link  only provides for auto update and PRO which I believe are the paid versions of SWB. I run the free version.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,751 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2015 - 07:05 AM

Report it at the official support forum and follow these instructions.

If you are still experiencing this problem, please contact us at the following e-mail address:

bugreports AT brightfort DOT com

In your e-mail, please reference your username in these forums, and include a link to this thread.

We'll be in touch with more debugging information.

javacool BrightFort Moderator, Post #2

#7 Beaker77

Beaker77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2015 - 08:14 AM

Report it at the official support forum and follow these instructions.

If you are still experiencing this problem, please contact us at the following e-mail address:

bugreports AT brightfort DOT com

In your e-mail, please reference your username in these forums, and include a link to this thread.

We'll be in touch with more debugging information.

javacool BrightFort Moderator, Post #2

Thank you. I have just entered my problem, similar to that I  posted on BC on the Wilders link you state above.

The post immediately in front of mine concerns the exact same problem. It is dated 25 Aug.15 and nobody has had the  decency to answer it.

So it looks as if all those intimately concerned with SWB either haven't a clue what the trouble is or simply do not give a fig about the programs 239 partially disabled items on the world's entire Chrome users population.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,751 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2015 - 08:29 AM

It sounds like javacool wants to perform debugging analysis and look at logs via email with individual users instead of in public.

Good luck.

#9 Beaker77

Beaker77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2015 - 09:02 AM

It sounds like javacool wants to perform debugging analysis and look at looks via email with individual users instead of in public.

Good luck.

Thank you so much for your sincere help.

If SWB as a reputable supplier cannot react to the problem their program has with the entire worlds Chrome users, then I can live without them quite happily and Javacool can engulf himself in sheer ecstasy with his individual email discussions until the Sun goes Bang.

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,751 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2015 - 09:37 AM

You're welcome.

#11 TulsaRose

TulsaRose

• Members
  • 367 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 PM

Posted 07 November 2015 - 09:54 AM

"If SWB as a reputable supplier cannot react to the problem their program has with the entire worlds Chrome users, then I can live without them quite happily and Javacool can engulf himself in sheer ecstasy with his individual email discussions until the Sun goes Bang."

Beaker, I run Win XP and use Chrome, also, and have never had a problem with SpywareBlaster.  When you selected Enable All Protection, did you close SpywareBlaster then reopen and Chrome was still showing only Partially Enabled?  Did you update SpywareBlaster as suggested?  I'm not trying to rain on your rant...just puzzling through your problem.  You mentioned Avast is your anti-virus while I'm using Avira so I wonder if something in Avast is switching off the Chrome protection? 

WinXP Pro sp3 \ Firefox, Panda, MBAM, SAS, SpywareBlaster

#12 Beaker77

Beaker77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2015 - 12:21 PM

"If SWB as a reputable supplier cannot react to the problem their program has with the entire worlds Chrome users, then I can live without them quite happily and Javacool can engulf himself in sheer ecstasy with his individual email discussions until the Sun goes Bang."

Beaker, I run Win XP and use Chrome, also, and have never had a problem with SpywareBlaster.  When you selected Enable All Protection, did you close SpywareBlaster then reopen and Chrome was still showing only Partially Enabled?  Did you update SpywareBlaster as suggested?  I'm not trying to rain on your rant...just puzzling through your problem.  You mentioned Avast is your anti-virus while I'm using Avira so I wonder if something in Avast is switching off the Chrome protection? 

I do not rant, simply write comments.

Yes, I have done what you say and just about everything  else my humble brain can provide, but with no solution.

If you read the Wilders links specified, you will see that I am not alone in being plagued by this problem and nobody has yet come up with an answer.

This matter is now many months old and in my technical world that is more than enough time for the SWB engineers and technicians to have solved the issue. By now, we should have a precise answer to the cause of this problem and a clear solution.. Not the hotch-potch of "do this or do that" which seems to be apparent.

Bearing in mind the many thousands of variations of individual systems, the fact that this SWB fault is standard at 239 items for random users thousands of miles apart, instantly means that the problem is entirely due to a SWB/Google Chrome program mis-match and nothing else.

To prove this, I installed SWB version 5.0 and ALL Chrome items are now enabled ! The 239 partially disabled Chrome items shown by SWB version 5.2 are now gone.

So SWB version 5.2 is incompatible with Chrome - I posted my Chrome version earlier. I suggest that SWB get their finger out and do some work to correct  this problem.

See :-

2S6HfmR.jpg

Edited by Beaker77, 07 November 2015 - 04:07 PM.

#13 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 07 November 2015 - 12:31 PM

Quietman7, I just now checked my SpywareBlaster Pro, and it does not even mention Google Chrome.  How do I add that in?

Edited by RolandJS, 07 November 2015 - 12:31 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#14 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,751 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2015 - 01:27 PM

Browser detection should be automatic but if you're running the latest version of Google Chrome, you must be running SpywareBlaster 5.2 to be fully and properly protected according to javacool. Spywareblaster 5.2 included enhanced support for and improved detection of Google Chrome. However since it's release in July 2015, it appears there are still some issues being reported with that browser...see here.

Did you try reinstalling it or a clean install?

#15 Beaker77

Beaker77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2015 - 05:41 AM

Having proved beyond any doubt that SWB 5.2 is incompatible with Chrome and SWB 5.0 works perfectly, I will mention another fault with SWB 5 .2 which does not  work with Chrome. It is their Google Chrome Protection panel. I show this panel below for SWB 5.0 where ALL the data is displayed perfectly.

The corresponding SWB 5.2 Chrome Protection panel is a shambles - it simply does not work and is frozen to any possible use.

Where the items listed are CHECKED and in Black for SWB 5.0 as they should be, the same items are listed UNCHECKED in Red and the PROTECT button is frozen - nothing happens with any attempt  to check the items. Another mess with SWB 5.2 which SWB have not yet fixed. Hopefully  they will eventually get round to it.

Regardless of SWB data base updates now being unavailable, I will keep SWB 5.0 which works perfectly with the data base loaded until Javacool eventually, if ever, decide to get their program working with Chrome.

Here is the SWB 5.0 Chrome protection panel with everything listed and working  perfectly :-

LPohDeu.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users