Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WiFi driver stopped working

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 vilzii

vilzii

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 PM

Posted 07 November 2015 - 04:35 AM

Hi

I have been using this version of windows 10 from last 1 month. I installed all the drivers and everything was working just fine. From last few days my wifi driver isn't responding. I tried reinstalling the driver and the problem still exists.
I can connect through the ethernet cable and the bluetooth driver is also working. Only the wifi driver has stopped. Please help.

My laptop is Dell inspiron 5520 

Edited by vilzii, 07 November 2015 - 05:00 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,870 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 AM

Posted 07 November 2015 - 11:10 AM

Have you checked to see if there is an updated driver meant for Windows 10 for your WiFi card?  If not, that's the first thing I would do.

If you have already done that, you might consider uninstalling the device completely in Device Manager then doing a "Scan for new hardware" to see if that resolves the issue.  That will force a Windows search for a device driver and if it doesn't find one you can direct it to use whatever you've already downloaded that's the most recent one.  Don't ask me why that sometimes works, but I've seen it work.  

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#3 vilzii

vilzii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2015 - 03:05 PM

Thanks for your reply.

There is just one Realtek PCIe family controller. That too without any "!" mark
There is no WiFi switch or the WiFi tab in the network and internet settings. 
When i choose the "Flight Mode", it says "we couldn't find any wireless devices on this PC".

The thing which is actually troubling me is that i've used this version of windows for over a month easily with no issues. But now suddenly my wifi driver dissapears.

I've tried installing the latest driver too but the wifi icon wont appear.

#4 panthera0404

panthera0404

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 AM

Posted 07 November 2015 - 04:55 PM

if device manager does not show wifi card than i dont think its driver problem

1. try to switch wifi on your laptop, fn+f12 or wifi button if exists
2. check if wifi is enabled in bios
3, download some linux live and boot into it, than check if you are able to connect to wifi there

if all above does not work, your wifi card probably died :/ buy usb stick from e-bay costs about 0,99$-2,99$ with shipping

#5 britechguy

britechguy

• 6,870 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2015 - 05:17 PM

According to "the official documentation" Fn+F2 is the wireless on/off toggle on this particular laptop.

I hadn't thought about checking BIOS, but it's certainly worth a shot.

If WiFi is enabled in BIOS, and a forced "Scan for new hardware" doesn't work in Device manager then I'm of the same opinion as panthera0404:  your wireless card is dead.  At least if it is it's a very inexpensive fix to buy a wireless n usb dongle.  I used this particular one for years on one of my other laptops that didn't come with wireless N after N made it's debut.  (I have no commercial affiliation with DX.com at all, it just so happens to be where I bought mine from).

Edited by britechguy, 07 November 2015 - 05:23 PM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#6 vilzii

vilzii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2015 - 02:35 AM

I dont exactly know how to enable wifi in BIOS. But i do have a software called "Speccy" which says wifi not enabled under the netowrk category head.

Here's the link to the text document containing my system and network details if it helps.

http://jmp.sh/ipRLCd9

#7 BIGBEARJEDI

BIGBEARJEDI

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 AM

Posted 08 November 2015 - 09:51 AM

hi vilzii,

in response to your question about how to change the wifi setting in the BIOS (if there is one); here's the link to the Dell Owner's Manual in PDF that can help you: http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/inspiron-15r-5520/diagnose?ref=autocomplete#./manuals?&_suid=144699225711103301833258976626

i took the time to download the above document and all the other documents for your model (by the way the full Model is INSPIRON 15R 5520); and unfortunately, the BIOS screens for your model are not shown in the documentation.  So, you'll have to just access the BIOS (using F2 key on bootup), and look through all the screens for DEVICES, or ADVANCED OPTIONS, or similar, for any mention of the WIFI or WIRELESS setting.  Many BIOSes do not contain a setting for enabling/disabling; so if it's not there, you'll have to pursue other avenues discussed by others above. 

I did find a couple of things that may help you howerver.  If you check the LED on the front edge of your laptop, as here: http://downloads.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_laptop/esuprt_inspiron_laptop/inspiron-15r-5520_Setup%20Guide_en-us.pdf

you will notice that in this diagram; the Wifi LED is #14 on the front edge view of the Quick Start Guide page #1 for your model.  We need to know what color that LED is?  White, Blue, Amber, Yellow, Orange, or Red, or not on at all. 

Normally, on most Dell laptops, when the Wifi is on, enabled, connected, and working; that light is White or Blue.  Any other color or not on at all indicates a failure of that internal WLAN card as mentioned. 

NOTE: The F2 KEY is used to enable and disable your internal Wifi.  This is the same key used to access the BIOS on startup.  Once in Windows; use the F2 KEY to attempt to enable/disable your Wifi and check the LED as above.

You can also run either the PSA (Pre-boot Assessment) diagnostic or the Enhanced PSA (e-PSA) diagnostic that are built into your laptop using the F12 KEY to access them on bootup. Run through each of the diagnostics if your model has both; or just the Basic PSA if that's all your Model has.  It may help to identify a failure in the internal Wifi WLAN card.  If you haven't done this, you should try it--it's about 30 min. to 2 hrs. total or so.

All of the other posts here are very helpful, but especially panthera's POST #4.  He hits it on the head here.  Laptops are susceptible to many kinds of damage, especially drops.  Besides the screen and the hard drive, WLAN cards can often become "bonked" by the drop; especially onto a hard surface such as concrete or asphalt.  Since your internal WLAN card doesn't seem to be working, and it WAS, you need to make a basic assessment as to whether or not it's working.  Not just in Windows.  I suggest you download Kubuntu 14.04.1 or later from http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop and create a bootable DVD or bootable USB drive per instructions on the Ubuntu website.  DON'T INSTALL THE UBUNTU/KUBUNTU ON YOUR LAPTOP!!  Just run in LiveCD mode.  This runs the program from Memory, and bypasses your hard drive completely.  Once Kubuntu loads; you can go into the Wifi icon; lower right system tray wifi icon; click and pick your home wifi network (SSID) and connect.  If it connects, then you know your internal WLAN card is working!!!

This will help a lot.  This means you probably have encountered a hardware failure so you'll need to test your RAM sticks and your Hard Drive to check there are no problems there.  If there are, you'll have to replace faulty components and retest.  Once that's done, you can reinstall W10 using Clean Install and retest your Wifi.  This should fix it; unless you have a driver related problem; which we can help you to fix. (DON'T DOWNLOAD ANY OF THOSE CRAPPY AUTOMATED DRIVER FIXERS TO DO THIS!!). 

If you need help with HW & SW testing; post back, I have a document to help you do this.  Allow 2-4 days of your time to go through it however.

Should you still not be able to get your Wifi working, you need to buy an inexpensive USB wifi adapter; they go for about $25-$45 on ebay.  Make sure to get a name brand; Cisco/Linksys or Netgear for this test.  If you can't do that; borrow a friend's.  Just make sure it's working on a modern laptop (doesn't have to be Dell).

If you can now connect to your home wifi network and the Internet; something else is wrong; most likely a Motherboard issue ($175-$400+ to replace).  Of course, if the Mobo stopped working with the Internal WLAN card only in Windows (not Ubuntu Linux); it's a quirky problem, and it would be much cheaper (less than $45 US) to simply replace with the USB wifi adapter and keep using the laptop instead of junking it or paying up to $1500 for the Mobo replacement parts & labor it can cost.

Hope this helps.  Let us know about the LED colors.

Best of luck to you,

<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>  :smash: 

Edited by BIGBEARJEDI, 08 November 2015 - 10:12 AM.

#8 britechguy

britechguy

• 6,870 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2015 - 10:00 AM

BBJ,

Just as a point of clarification, the F2 key is used alone during to boot sequence to bring up BIOS while, once Windows is booted, Fn+F2 toggles the WiFi state.

It's driving me crazy now that some laptops are being set up to not need the Fn+ convention to make the function keys perform their noted functions.  This convention was in place for decades and now it's become a mix and you have to double check all the time to see which way a given laptop is set up to work by default.

~ Lauren Bacall

#9 vilzii

vilzii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2015 - 11:25 AM

Thanks a lot for looking into this matter. I'll try to follow these steps and will come back to you in a day or two.

And as far as the LED is concerned, it shows a white light like it usually does, indicating that the wireless communications are ON.

Edited by vilzii, 08 November 2015 - 11:30 AM.

#10 BIGBEARJEDI

BIGBEARJEDI

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2015 - 07:44 PM

Sounds Good!  :thumbsup2:

<<<BBJ>>>

#11 vilzii

vilzii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2015 - 03:51 PM

Ok so somehow the driver started working and I dont really know how but there wasnt any hardware problem for sure. And I have updated the driver as well so in the device manager it says the driver is up to date.

But the problem now I am having is that in every 15 20 mins the wifi stops working, in the icon area it 1st gets disconnected and then laptop gets hanged up and nothing could be done except for force shut down.

I know I must be sounding weird but all this is really happening :/

What could be the possible reasons for this? 

#12 vilzii

vilzii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2015 - 10:04 AM

I tried using the Ubuntu without installing it. But there wasn't any wifi connection available, so probably there wasn't any driver available or maybe the hardware issue. But like I said in my last post that the wifi is working in my windows 10 for 15 20 mins before my laptop gets hanged up, so like @BIGBEARJEDI you said,

"Once Kubuntu loads; you can go into the Wifi icon; lower right system tray wifi icon; click and pick your home wifi network (SSID) and connect.  If it connects, then you know your internal WLAN card is working!!!

This will help a lot.  This means you probably have encountered a hardware failure so you'll need to test your RAM sticks and your Hard Drive to check there are no problems there."

But what's happening here is that my wifi is working in Windows(for some time of course) but shows no connection in Ubuntu, which is completely contradicting and reverse of what you said.

I tried using Ubuntu in my friends laptop and it worked just fine with various network connections appearing.

#13 britechguy

britechguy

• 6,870 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2015 - 10:11 AM

vilzii,

From your latest description it sounds like you have a WiFi card in the process of failing that intermittently works.   One inexpensive way to test out this theory is to buy a USB wireless network adapter and see if you have precisely the same issues or if it works normally under both Windows and Linux.

Micro sized USB wireless adapters for basic wireless N are available for $10 US and under, so it's not a major investment.  If it does solve your issue you have your answer and your solution in one.

~ Lauren Bacall

#14 vilzii

vilzii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2015 - 12:04 PM

Actually that's exactly what i was going to go for, was just waiting for a right call. My colleagues also said that the wifi card is in a failing state. Sounds just right.

Thank you.

#15 BIGBEARJEDI

BIGBEARJEDI

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2015 - 06:11 PM

I concur with Britechguy on this....

<<<BBJ>>>

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users