Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unetbootin Acting Up

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,088 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 AM

Posted 06 November 2015 - 11:12 PM

My Unetbootin 585 from Software Manager is acting up, it keeps asking for "syslinux" to be installed, but it is?

I wanted to get the newest shiniest to date, where should I get it from Sourceforge or Github PPA's via Terminal?  One question if anyone has time.

1. Do both these sources Update Automatically or is that just the PPA from Github? 

http://sourceforge.net/projects/unetbootin/

https://unetbootin.github.io/linux_download.html

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 PM

Posted 06 November 2015 - 11:46 PM

Mate hi

I've only got 471.2 on this puter currently, it's running LMDE 2 Betsy, and I erred on the side of caution, whilst I learn about Debian-style Distros. Screenshot follows:

m8CFMR0.png

Also, in my current environment, I can't add gezakovacs, as PPAs are not supported. Screenshot follows:

F7XVpJL.png

I can check it out on eg LMM17 Qiana on chris@Hermes, if you'd like?

My Unetbootin 585 from Software Manager is acting up, it keeps asking for "syslinux" to be installed, but it is?

I wanted to get the newest shiniest to date, where should I get it from Sourceforge or Github PPA's via Terminal?  One question if anyone has time.

1. Do both these sources Update Automatically or is that just the PPA from Github? 

http://sourceforge.net/projects/unetbootin/

Define "Update Automatically".

If their Repo is in your Software Sources, then updates should be captured in the net whenever you

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

or use the GUI-based updater.

I understand that it is only if you go outside those parameters, eg downloading the latest Nvidia driver from Nvidia's site, that updates slip outside the net and you have to do them manually.

Maybe I am wrong - wouldn't be the first time, nor likely the last, lol

:wizardball: Wiz

#3 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 07 November 2015 - 06:08 PM

I presume you are referring to this:

UU4EQgJ.png

I had this problem when I installed unetbootin today. You can just need to install "extlinux". To do so, type the following in your terminal:

sudo apt-get install extlinux

#4 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,088 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2015 - 06:15 PM

Ooo, thanks Hollowface!  I did not even see that part.

You don't suggest installing form one of those sources?  I guess it is not needed huh?

You see, I am working with the most current distro's so thought it might help.  Like the lates Ubuntu and Ubuntu Mate, Kubuntu etc.

Edited by pcpunk, 07 November 2015 - 06:22 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#5 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 07 November 2015 - 06:59 PM

You don't suggest installing form one of those sources?  I guess it is not needed huh?

I prefer to use the default repos when possible to avoid unecessary complications, but there is nothing wrong with installing software from outside the default repos. One of the benefits of doing such is that you can often get newer versions of applications, as you've discovered.

If you want to install the latest version of Unetbootin, of the choices you listed I think option 1 from "https://unetbootin.github.io/linux_download.html" is the best option, because you're still using APT to manage the packages.

#6 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,088 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2015 - 07:07 PM

Thanks! value your opinion as usual!!!

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#7 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,088 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2015 - 12:52 AM

Wanted to thank you guys again, Unetbootin is all installed and will be using tonight.  I did notice...AFTER! ( lol ) I started the Install, that I could have used the 64bit Binary.  Well, that would be nice if I knew what that was LOL.  If someone is feeling generous clue me in.  What did I install - 32 or 64bit?  When running those commands does it detect what I need and install, or does it just install 32bit?  I will try to look at it and see.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#8 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2015 - 02:39 AM

@pcpunk

If you installed from the link HF gave you, they are both for v613, but where the .bin file for 32-bit says "LInux" in the filename, the 64-bit has "linux64", in the name.

Hope this helps

#9 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,088 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2015 - 01:06 PM

I ran these commands because I thought it would be easier than the Bin files.  So what did I get...32bit or 64bit?

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gezakovacs/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install unetbootin

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#10 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2015 - 05:34 PM

Try this command:

file /usr/bin/unetbootin

and print the output.

Mine looks like this

yffv9Bj.png

:wizardball: Wizard

#11 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,088 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2015 - 06:02 PM

The Bearded genius comes through again! lol.  Don't know how you know all these file pathways man - but that is just what I needed!!!  Tells me exactly what I got in there.  Mine is a bit different than yours for some reason?  Sure enough though, it installed the 64bit with those commands.

/usr/bin/unetbootin: ELF 64-bit LSB  executable, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux 2.6.24, BuildID[sha1]=2778b927e859c7da63601c2cd111597c4e425e10, stripped

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#12 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,088 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2015 - 06:09 PM

I opened "kate" and typed "unetbootin" and get nothing?  How do I find files quickly?

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#13 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2015 - 07:29 PM

@pcpunk

The Bearded genius comes through again!

Always welcome, friend. Differences? - Dunno. My output was from Ubuntu Mate where I am currently. I usually install Geza Kovacs' Repo from Terminal, but can't swear to it in this case. When I am in another Distro that has Unetbootin installed, I will check.

The shared libraries reference - these are like Common Files were to Windows, and the mention of them may relate to other software in your install that was there prior to Unetbootin.

I opened "kate" and typed "unetbootin" and get nothing?  How do I find files quickly?

In Terminal, I use

locate

All I know about Kate is that it and Kwrite usually ship with KDE; and that Kate is an advanced text editor. Haven't used it yet, I don't think.

I have Mageia 5 with KDE elsewhere on "toshi" the Toshiba, so I'll swing through there next couple of hours and check it out.

Later

#14 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2015 - 07:48 PM

On the differences re Unetbootin - I was headed for Mageia and the phone rang and I missed the Grub sequence and ended up in Uberstudent 4.1 "Epicurus", which is 'buntu-based, so thought I'd check out Unetbootin first. Here, I have v6.13 installed, and the output is as follows:

QXYvR84.png

... matches yours, right down to the SHA. So I might only have v6.08 on Ubuntu Mate?

Later

#15 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2015 - 09:08 PM

Back again, currently in Mageia 5.

See screenshot below, and I will explain the sequence to it:

5GTRt0R.png

I first established that Kate was not installed by default, so installed it from their Repo. Looking at it, I haven't encountered it before, only Kwrite. Can't see as how you'd use it to look for something like Unetbootin, unless I have misread your Posting? If so (misreading), walk me through what you were looking to do.

I next installed Unetbootin from their Repo, it is an older version slightly, in v6.08 but still recent enough.

Next I opened Konsole terminal, and ran

file /usr/bin/unetbootin

and you can see the output that was returned confused me a little.

So I opened the Dolphin File Manager (is that what yours uses, too?) and ran a search and established where the Unetbootin executable was. I then ran

file /usr/libexec/unetbootin

and then received the output I was looking for. The difference in storage locations may relate to the differences between Debian-based and RPM-based Distros' protocols. In the Dolphin window search, the small shell script (58B) listed above the executable (796.7KiB) is the one I first, mistakenly found with the Konsole file command. If double-clicked in Dolphin, it too launches Unetbootin.

So, in summary, it seems to me that if you are searching for files quickly, your options are "locate" at the terminal, or using your GUI-based File Manager. Hope this has helped, and not hindered/confused?

Later

Edited typos

Edited by wizardfromoz, 17 November 2015 - 09:10 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users