Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

upgrading 6yo computer

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 santenal

santenal

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 06 November 2015 - 10:18 PM

Is it worth upgrading or should I just buy a new one?

current specs:

CPU:   intel core i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz

GPU:   512MB ATI Radeon HD 4810 series

Motherboard:   ASUSTeK Computer INC. P6T SE (LGA1366) X58

RAM:   6,00GB Triple-Channel DDR3 @ 534MHz (8-8-8-20)

problem:

For playing the newer games my graphics card, CPU and RAM could use some upgrades but since I have only 400€ to spend I can only afford to upgrade 2 of the 3. Therefore I chose to get a new graphics card and expand my RAM (good choice?). The problem is though that I have no experience in changing computer hardware and I'm afraid that i'm going to purchase hardware that doesn't fit/is compatible with each other.

my train of thought so far:

graphics card:

I chose the Nvidia GeForce GTX960 (4Gb) as new graphics card since they seem to require less  power then the Radeon R9 380 and

im not sure if my 520W PSU can handle that . would unplugging my DVDRom and DVDRam drives (things i almost never use) free up power?

http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-R9-380-vs-GeForce-GTX-960

https://www.caseking.de/en/msi-geforce-gtx-960-gaming-4g-4096-mb-gddr5-gcmc-089.html

RAM:

Currently 3 of the 6 slots are occupied by 2GB corsair XMS3 DDR3 667 MHz . I use up 5.3Gb while gaming on the lowest settings + opened browser.

Will a new GPU lower this usage?

I assume putting in 3 new ones of 4Gb each will suffice. Would putting in 3 of  these guys do?              

https://www.caseking.de/en/corsair-xms3-series-ddr3-1333-cl9-4gb-mecs-049.html

When putting in 3 new ones do I leave the old ones in? Should I pick ones with another RAM frequency (1333 ,1600, 1866, ...)?

What would you do with 150€ to spend on RAM or CPU ?

Edited by santenal, 07 November 2015 - 01:57 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 PM

Posted 09 November 2015 - 10:18 AM

Replacing the GPU would be my choice if I had to choose just one of the options.

That GPU requires a 400W @ 27A and a six pin 12V connector for the card.

You didn't post the make and model of the PSU, so I can't determine if it will satisfy the 27A requirement, or if it has the required 6 pin power connector.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 santenal

santenal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 09 November 2015 - 10:55 AM

My PSU broke down 12h ago while i was researching whether or not it could handle the GPU. It was a "cooler master real power m520" but that doesn't mather anymore.

this is what happened:

I pulled out the cord out of my PSU with the PSU button still in the ON-position (computer was off), removed the casing and wrote down the specs + 

connector types, I later plugged it back in the same way with the PSU button in the ON-position.

Now my PSU is broken (tested it with a voltmeter and the paperclip test). I dont know if my actions broke my PSU And  whether or not other hardware got damaged. I assume its beter to just buy a whole new computer now.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 PM

Posted 09 November 2015 - 11:15 AM

If you placed the paper clip between the green socket and a black socket and the fans spin the PSU should still be good.  If it doesn't... that's another story.

As for purchasing a new computer.  The specs for this computer are still pretty recent.  If the motherboard or any other components are still functional I would look into purchasing a new PSU and see if it all works.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users