Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Password protected USB drive- watch on TV- or other PC?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bsloan1960

bsloan1960

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 PM

Posted 06 November 2015 - 10:11 PM

A few questions

I intend to password protect a flash drive. I have done some reading and learned that this can be set up using the command prompt and notepad- all internal within the computer, or use a program like Bit Locker.

1) Should I use the password program- or just use the steps already available in Windows (I have Win 10)?

2) If I use my computer to Unlock the flash drive using my password- will the now Unlocked drive play on my TV... or will the drive consider the TV an item that needs a password to unlock it? And- along the same lines, can I Unlock the drive on my computer then put it into a different computer without having to re-unlock it?

Thanks!!!!!

ps. Talk to me like I'm 5 years old- once you get technical I get lost.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 AM

Posted 07 November 2015 - 01:59 PM

[as I understand it]

Password protection requires the password every time you want to access the contents. Which means that with each device change you will need to enter the password in order to access the contents.

Dick

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 AM

Posted 07 November 2015 - 04:24 PM

I could ask -'Why bother ?'.

Password protection is for protecting data on memory sticks or CD/DVDs that get moved around with a risk of falling into the wrong hands. If this memory stick is going to be put in the post and carries sensitive data then by all means encrypt it. If all you are going to do is load a video or two on it and take it from your computer to your wife's or a friend's to watch it on a TV encryption is not really necessary.

One of the classic cases of this was when the UK tax authorities posted a set of CDs from one office to another. The CDs contained the full data set for child benefit in the UK and were NOT encrypted !  The packet of CDs disappeared into the murky depths of our postal system and - to my knowledge - have never been seen since. These obviously should have been encrypted. Your memory stick with something to watch on TV ? Not really necessary.

Chris Cosgrove

#4 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 AM

Posted 08 November 2015 - 09:19 PM

What he said :thumbsup:

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E