Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Where is rburkartjo?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16 replies to this topic

#1 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 AM

Posted 06 November 2015 - 09:05 PM

Not sure what Staff will make of this, but I note that the Master of Tips and Tricks has been inactive since 8 October Oz time.

I confess it was only just now, when I was about to refer a new Member to his wonderful Topic that I noted the absence from the front page.

Without wading through 227 pages to see if he has periodic absences eg 4 weeks holiday time, overseas trips &c, I wondered if this was usual?

Senior staff will have access to his email, as may a couple of his close associates - can someone check if he is OK?

Maybe someone can PM me with response/s. Hope I am not making a mountain out of a mole hill ... just concerned.

Thanks

:wizardball: Wizard.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 1002 Richard S

1002 Richard S

• Members
  • 277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 PM

Posted 07 November 2015 - 09:05 AM

Hi,

In the middle of Sept I noticed a gap in his postings so I pm'd him. He said he had a new computer and was setting it up. Not sure if this is the same?

Richard.

#3 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2015 - 03:59 PM

Thanks Richard. I'll hope it's as simple as that. And that he is back online soon.

It is easy to take him for granted (I know I do), that his posts are always on the front page, like a welcoming beacon.

:wizardball:

#4 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 07 November 2015 - 05:12 PM

I too was wondering where he'd been.

#5 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2015 - 05:33 AM

Me too, I used to get updates everyday, have been following his Topic since shortly after becoming a member. 

rburkartjo has been a major source of valuable information to Linux users that we likely otherwise not heard about & I hope for his return soon. :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#6 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,728 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 PM

Posted 09 November 2015 - 04:14 PM

Where are you Ray?

#7 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 AM

Posted 10 November 2015 - 03:24 AM

The last time he was on the site was in early October & appearances were very spotty before then. 

I pray that all is OK & that rburkartjo soon returns, if for no other reason, to let us know that he & his family are well. We value all of our members & though he seldom interacts with anyone, that didn't matter to me. The time & dedication to bring us all the latest Linux news means that he didn't have time for mostly useless chit-chat. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#8 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2015 - 02:52 AM

Before anyone/everyone jumps in jackboots and all to pillory me –

… I am not seeking to usurp the venerable one's control of his Topic. I am seeking to keep it on the front page, where it rightly belongs, IMO.

As expressed previously, I am hopeful that rburkartjo is simply trailer-parking with the wife and kids and grand-kids around Wisconsin or the USA, and that he was read the riot act about taking a laptop with him.

I probably know at least 50 of you by now, and more of you, me, through your reading my writings.

I am hopeful that a number of us can “pick up the slack”, for the immediate future. All it needs is say one Tip a day, and this Topic will stay where it belongs. I earnestly believe you will get behind me in this endeavour.

If Staff have a reason for not supporting this, then I will abide by their decision, but I am hopeful they will agree.

If this goes ahead:

1. Keep it short and sweet and

2. Provide/cite a link or reference to support you

… just as rburkartjo has done and would do?

If and when he returns, he will at least notice that he has been missed, and that his work has not gone unnoticed.

:wizardball: Wizard

BTW - as I entered the hallowed halls of rburkartjo's Topic, I noted his last Post included the words "go for it". I took this as a sign - hope it doesn't bite me on the arse (ass).

Tradition and Respect are two qualities which often go ignored by The Young, and are (sometimes) abused by the Aged. In between, there is a group that both remembers their youthful follies, and also is aware that they too will become … The Aged

#9 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2015 - 04:00 AM

I am hopeful that rburkartjo is simply trailer-parking with the wife and kids and grand-kids around Wisconsin or the USA

Not that I'm a Green Bay fan (of the NFL), am hoping that rburkartjo is enjoying life as most in the community, there at Lambeau Stadium rooting for his home team every week, when playing at home. Unfortunately, they've dropped three straight, one loss was dealt to them less than 100 miles from me by my unbeaten Panthers. The last loss was an all time low, not only did they get beat at home, but by the team with the worst record in the NFL in Detroit.  

The Green Bay Packers are the only NFL team that's community owned, and for decades, the community has been behind the team through thick & thin. Hopefully rburkartjo is doing fine & whatever he is doing or wherever he may be, is enjoying himself, and will soon be back for his best run yet. 

rburkartjo's Topic will be here for when he returns. :)

Cat

#10 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 09 April 2016 - 04:10 PM

Assuming this post (dated 1 week ago) and account are him. He appears to be alive, and still active in the Linux community. :)

#11 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2016 - 04:46 PM

That is wonderful news, hf :thumbup2:

For readers, the 2nd link is only if you are a member at Ubuntu (I am, but seldom use it).

I have PMed Ray there to ask how he is doing, and if he has any public plans on return. I won't disclose anything personal other than perhaps a yes or no reply.

Ta again, hollowface

:wizardball: Wizard

#12 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2016 - 12:59 AM

I have PMed Ray there to ask how he is doing, and if he has any public plans on return. I won't disclose anything personal other than perhaps a yes or no reply.

Going by what was in the Topic Ray posted, that's probably all he had to say. :)

The Topic subject was longer than the total words typed in two posts. :P

Hopefully Ray has taken a break and will come back if & when he feels up to it. Many of us regulars here can identify with me, sometimes over the course of time, we get burned out for a while, sometimes exiting totally for a spell, other times posting here & there. No one (other than Staff members to upper level peers) has to give any advance notice to anyone, regardless of reason. Other than health reasons though, burnout seems to hit all regulars suffers from time to time, it becomes necessary to walk away for a breath of fresh air, and to rest/enjoy life. Or maybe a major event has taken place, a life event, move or other project that's time consuming & leaves no time for forum participation. 

Just before I arrived here, after a 2 year stretch as a highly burned out Moderator over a Windows 8 Forum that eventually was hacked, totally vanished from the scene for a bit over three months, at first had no intentions of returning to duty, as I placed in many 8-12 hour days there. Only four Moderators working in shifts with zero Administrative support, we were left to our own devices, I was given the task of banning spammers, and it was a full job the entire session daily (wore out two mice in doing so). Was a total miracle that I also managed a bit over 2,000 posts in the length of time there, about half while there was Administrative presence. When one's sitting there with 30+ Google pages open most of the time, all spammers waiting for me to 'sock it to them', that shows the lack of Spam features built into the software & also explains why the burnout. 

I chose to come here, because it was the only place where I wasn't known, yet had been a frequent visitor to the site since 2007, when I started learning about working on computers. Google hits led me here for probably over 1,000 solutions, and this I remembered when coming out of hibernation. Fortunately am not under the stress that I was on the other site, and hopefully will never become that exhausted again. :)

Whatever the reason Ray, I look forward to your return back home. :)

Cat

#13 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 10 April 2016 - 01:12 AM

Many of us regulars here can identify with me, sometimes over the course of time, we get burned out for a while

Yup. Sometimes you just need a break. And sometimes people just want a fresh start elsewhere (like when I came here).

#14 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2016 - 02:10 AM

Many of us regulars here can identify with me, sometimes over the course of time, we get burned out for a while

Yup. Sometimes you just need a break. And sometimes people just want a fresh start elsewhere (like when I came here).

That's the same here also, had I went back to one of the other forums that I was a participant on, there I'd be, with the same 'know it all' mentality of prominent members (some who covers more than one forum), and I'm just not one whom prefers to go into reverse gear. Nor have nearly every post 'corrected' by one whom thinks they know it all, if that were so, they'd not have time to be on a forum, rather would be hustling to make some cash. The only other forum where I participate on a few times per week to assist others is the Dell Hardware Forum, where I've been a member since 2007, and being it's my favorite OEM brand, can get fast support & assist others. As long as it has to do with upgrades to the stock PC & same OS brand. 

They let me slide more than others, but don't like it when I say the 'Linux' word, even if they've lost their media. Because some of the Moderators are employees of Dell, they'd rather sell (when out of warranty) that recently jacked up price of $60 for a complete reinstall media set, $50 for the one on a single DVD w/out the crapware (favored by SSD users), but the customer must download their drivers & install in the provided order. I find it rather difficult to believe, for as long as Vista & Windows 7 were freely available for download, that all computer users doesn't have one of each, or at least the one that shipped with their computer. I have two separate 100GiB partitions full of Windows ISO's & MS Office installers, up to the 2010 release. 

Yes, when I came here, it was refreshing to arrive with a clean slate & shortened my username to avoid those wanting to keep up with me. Dell wouldn't let me w/out creating a new member profile, but really had no issues there anyway. Their members just wants their computers back up & running & that's all, and they have great onboard volunteers. Being a Hardware Forum, they don't deal with Malware issues, and unless purchasing a computer with Linux preinstalled, only then discussion is allowed about the OS. Those has a Recovery partition also, but who wants to be running 12.04 LTS when 14.04 LTS is nearly two years old & 16.04 LTS on the verge of release? 

There's nothing like being freed of the past! :)

Cat

#15 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2016 - 02:41 AM

:nono:       :offtopic:       :nono:  

--->  General Chat  "this forum may be used to post topics of a general, non-help related nature." <---

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users