Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Power outage

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 JayBiggS

JayBiggS

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 06 November 2015 - 09:03 PM

I had a storm blow over overnight and the power went out at least once. I awoke to my computer powered on with a black screen. Unresponsive. I shut it off(waited the obligatory 15 seconds) and started it up again. Windows 8.1 began loading but when it would normally take me to the login screen, a brief blue screen of sorts came up with a ;( face and the system rebooted itself. This time it said something like "Preparing Automatic Repairs" on the windows loading screen. It did that for a while, rebooted, and took me back to that error screen. I allowed it to do this multiple times and was never able to boot into windows.

I fear there has been some hardware damage(yes I know, get a UPS... :( ).

I put my windows 8 DVD in and managed to get it to load from the disc. I tried a couple of the repair options(couldn't tell you which) but they just sat at the screen for a long time, seemingly doing nothing. I knew I wouldn't be able to retrieve my files most likely(but my last backup was beginning of October so not a huge loss) so I just went ahead and tried a fresh install of windows. Again it sat there seemingly doing nothing but I let it be and eventually, after many of those long waits after selecting the options I wanted, it managed to install win 8.

Win 8 loaded up fine and I began the long and excrutiating task of installing the windows updates. This too has given me problems(downloads failing, installations failing) and where I'm at now, it is in some kind of loop where it tries to restart to install the updates, fails, reverts the changes, restarts, fails, etc etc.

Now I can go the route of troubleshooting to determine what parts were damaged(ugh), take it to a shop(ugh), buy a new hard drive and swap out the old one and see how it goes(meh), or bite the bullet and buy a whole new rig(maybe a bit extreme).

Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,829 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 06 November 2015 - 09:21 PM

I encountered a similar failure but was not induced by a power fault.  The interface chip/buffer for the SATA drive has failed and is intermittently  writing garbage.  This is a MOBO failure.  A new drive won't solve the fault but is the only way to proceed to a resolution.

#3 JayBiggS

JayBiggS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2015 - 09:21 PM

Ok the updates stopped(did they succeed? fail?) and I am in windows now.

Edited by JayBiggS, 06 November 2015 - 09:22 PM.

#4 JayBiggS

JayBiggS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2015 - 09:22 PM

I encountered a similar failure but was not induced by a power fault.  The interface chip/buffer for the SATA drive has failed and is intermittently  writing garbage.  This is a MOBO failure.  A new drive won't solve the fault but is the only way to proceed to a resolution.

How did you determine that was the issue?

I ran chkdsk and it found no errors apparently. The windows updates all failed and it is downloading them again

Edited by JayBiggS, 06 November 2015 - 10:10 PM.

#5 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,829 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2015 - 10:45 AM

It exhibited the same faults and eventually failed completely.  Replacing the drive didn't solve the fault, it keep stalling and failed to do a complete OS install, multiple trys was successful but updates were faulty during install.  It balked at other program installs too.

#6 JayBiggS

JayBiggS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2015 - 12:06 PM

It exhibited the same faults and eventually failed completely.  Replacing the drive didn't solve the fault, it keep stalling and failed to do a complete OS install, multiple trys was successful but updates were faulty during install.  It balked at other program installs too.

Hmm, alright. Well I have the Windows 8.1 upgrade installed now. Everything seems ok thus far. Maybe I got "lucky" and the power outage happened as Windows was installing updates and the files got corrupted or something. I guess time will tell!

#7 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,829 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2015 - 06:46 PM

That's always the possibility, I keep the updates waiting until I download them and install them.  Just to avoid strange things like an outage in the middle.  Certainly not the first time a scrambled downloaded update trashed the OS.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users