Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Changing the location of the Windows Paging File

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan

• Members
  • 312 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 AM

Posted 06 November 2015 - 07:46 PM

I'm about to fire up a new computer build and I'm using a solid state drive for the C drive. I want to minimize the number of write operations to this drive, but the OS uses the C drive for the Paging File by default. I would like to relocate the Paging File to the D drive, which is a HDD. I looked through the Windows help file on my working computer and found the section on changing the size of Virtual Memory. It appears that I am able to set the C drive to "No paging file" and the D drive to contain a paging file, so it seems that this is all that I would have to do to get my new computer to put the Paging File on the D drive and leave the C drive alone. Is my assumption correct or is there more to it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_JWebb_*

Guest_JWebb_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 06 November 2015 - 08:14 PM

I can't speak for W7 but I did this in XP with no problems at all.

Warthogs :thumbup2:

Edited by JWebb, 06 November 2015 - 08:15 PM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,408 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2015 - 07:21 AM

FWIW

Personally, I don't even know why this is a point of contention.  People who never worried about the life expectancy of a hard drive (which is certainly inferior to the expected lifetime of a SSD, IMO) seem to suddenly concern themselves over the number of writes a drive can be "expected" to have.

We all know that "expected life" of any manmade device...has nothing to do with reality.

We all know that the failure rate on hard drives...probably exceeds that of SSDs.

On my two systems with SSDs as boot drives...I allow Windows to set up normally, with the paging file on the drive.  I guess that I don't think that the location of the page file is terribly significant for me.

http://www.howtogeek.com/95915/heres-why-disabling-the-windows-pagefile-is-pointless/

http://lifehacker.com/5426041/understanding-the-windows-pagefile-and-why-you-shouldnt-disable-it?trending_test_a&utm_expid=66866090-62.H_y_0o51QhmMY_tue7bevQ.1

Louis

#4 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 312 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 AM

Posted 07 November 2015 - 12:07 PM

While it may be true that the Mean Time Between Failure of a HDD is shorter than the Mean Time Between Failure of a SSD, the difference as I see it is that the HDD may be written to an infinite number of times, while a SSD has a finite number or write cycles. From articles that I've read recently, SSDs are getting better and able to accommodate more write cycles, my feeling is, why use the SSD more than it needs to be used? Putting the paging file on my HDD may slow things down a little but may help the SSD to run longer before needing to be replaced.

Maybe I've been lucky, but I've been using computers at home since 1987 and in that time I've only had two HDD failures and they were both Maxtor devices that didn't even live to the end of their warranty period. I've never purchased one of their drives since.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users