Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC Support Reps Tell Users to Uninstall Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,373 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 PM

Posted 06 November 2015 - 07:20 PM

When we called Dell's support line and asked how to change the touchpad's scrolling direction on an Inspiron 15 5000 that we had upgraded to Windows 10, an agent named Jalvin told us the company is getting a ton of support calls from Windows 10 users. He recommended that we revert our notebook back to Windows 8.1, before transferring us to another rep. He told us, "there are a lot of glitches in Windows 10." Ironically, the answer to our question wasn't even Windows 10-specific. All we had to do was right-click the touchpad icon in the system tray and change a setting in the Dell control software, which is the same process as in Windows 7 or 8.
In a statement, Dell told us:

"As Windows 10 continues to evolve, we sometimes recommend a customer revert to their previous operating system to troubleshoot a specific issue they're having. In addition, we have a continuous feedback loop with Microsoft in which we share insight from our customers, like the one received from this particular call, to inform further updates to the OS and ensure Windows 10 reflects the experience our customers are seeking. We remain committed to Windows 10 and are ready to help our customers make the transition as easy as possible.”

We called HP to ask how to enable its CoolSense utility, which controls a notebook's temperature, on a Pavilion x360 that we had upgraded to Windows 10. Though the company offered the software as a Windows 10 download on the product-support page for our laptop, this utility didn't work for us. During a 57-minute-long call, a support agent named Kate took over our computer and, after she couldn't get the utility working, tried getting us to roll back to Windows 8.1. During the process, she said, "I really don't recommend [that] customers upgrade to Windows 10." When even the rollback didn't work, she advised us to buy a $40 recovery USB key to get back to the older version of Windows.

http://www.laptopmag.com/articles/support-reps-diss-windows-10

Edited by NickAu, 06 November 2015 - 07:20 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 blueelvis

blueelvis

Bleep Blop Bleep

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,666 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 PM

Posted 07 November 2015 - 11:14 AM

That's not good at all. This shows how inefficient the customer support is at many places. Although some are really good, they are like needles in a haystack.

Member of the Bleeping Computer A.I.I. early response team!

In case I have been helping you and you haven't received a reply from me in 48 hours, please feel free to PM me. Anything else? Still feel free to PM me :)

Did you read this? http://omgdebugging.com/5-tips-for-getting-the-best-bang-for-the-buck-at-fast-food-joints/

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,819 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 AM

Posted 07 November 2015 - 11:19 AM

That's not good at all. This shows how inefficient the customer support is at many places. Although some are really good, they are like needles in a haystack.

Yep.  It is just astounding what many technical support reps will tell you.   I find it interesting that they almost all work from scripts from which they do not deviate.  You can tell them, "I've already taken steps X, Y, and Z, and these have not resolved the problem," and the first thing they'll ask you to do is "Step X."

I long ago figured out that many a company's technical support is neither technical nor supportive.   When I do get that rare excellent tech support person I make a point of telling them that at the end of a call and, if a survey is involved afterward, making a point of that, too.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#4 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 AM

Posted 07 November 2015 - 12:24 PM

Yep.  It is just astounding what many technical support reps will tell you.   I find it interesting that they almost all work from scripts from which they do not deviate.  You can tell them, "I've already taken steps X, Y, and Z, and these have not resolved the problem," and the first thing they'll ask you to do is "Step X."

I long ago figured out that many a company's technical support is neither technical nor supportive.   When I do get that rare excellent tech support person I make a point of telling them that at the end of a call and, if a survey is involved afterward, making a point of that, too.

I can attest to that even in the old days if you worked phone support you worked from a company provided script. Deviation from that script could get you fired. Really did not matter how much you actually might know stick to the script. I worked help desk for a company many years ago.

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,819 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 AM

Posted 07 November 2015 - 12:52 PM

@dannyboy950:  No surprises there but thanks for the confirmation "from the other side."

One of the things that really does amaze me is that (at least from appearances/interactions) a lot of the people hired as front line tech support reps are truly not technically proficient at all.  The companies stupidly think that you can put any warm posterior in the seat and with "the magic script" they can walk someone through whatever situation they might be faced with.   I don't know what it's going to take to disabuse management of that notion.  The results of endless surveys that show most people grossly dissatisfied with manufacturers' technical support call centers (with the notable exception of Apple) doesn't seem to make a dent.

Most people I know, and that includes my clients who are really aren't very computer literate, don't call technical support until after they've tried "all the usual things" and typically under the direction of a friend or relative who does have a much better clue of what needs to be done.

I realize that I'm the exception to most of the rules, but when I call technical support it is only after I've tried all the things that are about the first 20 to 30 minutes of "the script" and they don't work.   I really don't understand why, in these cases, they won't take the customer's word and start going through the script as checklist and pick up wherever the customer might have left off, and immediately escalate if nothing was left off.  I guess the one thing that does save me time is when I start "talking technical" back to the person on the other end of the line from almost sentence one.   At least then most of them clue in that telling me to do something as simple as "power down your modem/router and reboot it" isn't going to get them anywhere and some of them then try to do "abbreviated script."

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#6 leithanne

leithanne

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 07 November 2015 - 01:56 PM

That's why sites like Bleeping Computer exist. Thank goodness.

#7 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 AM

Posted 08 November 2015 - 07:14 AM

Update on the Big Three sales:  I just checked again last night.  Lenovo has only two Win7 models left, HP many, Dell only a few Latitudes, else many Precision (top-quality) and Inspiron (low-quality).  The comparisons are all to bus laptops, as the canary in the coal mine about whether Win10 is being sold.

So no they're selling Win10 to consumer market (lower quality) though still Lenovo has some mobile workstations.  Idea is to see why the script of tech support is saying no to Win10.  It's more like the manufacturers aren't selling it, but still Win8.1 or 7 via 8.1 licenses.

Which, to be fair, might be due to overstock of 8.1.  Since the RTM wasn't available to mfrs until July 29, might be that they are trying to sell off their prior inventory first.

Absent the EULA, were I to choose between 8.1 and 10 I'd pick 10 of the TP variety.  The RTM folks get seems to be very different from the TP which we got and activated, maybe because the installer terms were different.

So that could be an angle not reported, that the Win10 'we' know here in BC is not the same as the one others are getting, or the installer is so problemmatic they are getting problems we didn't have (who knows what can go wrong as a result of an inplace upgrade).

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#8 leithanne

leithanne

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 09 November 2015 - 06:20 PM

I would have expected the TP people to have a better experience, because they are more technically proficient than the average Joe. On the whole, they know not to do an install on a machine teaming with malware, or a HDD replete with bad sectors. How many times have you read, here, "I had the problem in 8.1, but I thought the upgrade would fix it...."?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users