Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 Pro - Hard Disk constantly 60-100% on idle

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Izzy

Izzy

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 AM

Posted 06 November 2015 - 05:18 PM

Since upgrading to Windows 10, I have been having issues with constant high disk usage, I've googled and not really found any solution, I have disabled some features but hasn't made any difference.

I do run McAfee and I cannot end its processes to see if that is causing the problem but I think it is something else. Unless it is something within mcafee causing it I am unable to stop most of the processes.

THis issue is causing computer to be sluggish.

System is

Intel Core i5-4440 3.10Ghz

8GB Ram

1GB NVIDIA Graphics

1TB Hard Disk

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2015 - 07:16 PM

Just an update, after a little over 2 hours it settled back to normal and is fine, so obviously something is running or doing something at boot up and takes forever and stop doing its process, just need to find out what it is and stop it.

#3 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2015 - 11:54 PM

well i started trying to end processes that i can end, and the first one I tried was Adobe Acrobat Update Service (32-Bit), and APN Updater (32-Bit), well, Hard Disk went from 97% to 10-20% almost instantly, it did spike to 97% again for a few seconds but seems to be settled at around 10-20% now. So i'm guessing the issues lies with one or both of those. Can I disable both of them so they don't run, and how do I do this?

#4 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 PM

Posted 07 November 2015 - 03:12 AM

Are they starting up at boot time open Task Manager and Startup tab disable them if you cannot found those files at Startup tab then type Task Scheduler  into Start Menu search box and click Task Scheduler Library and disable the schedule task for those programs you can also check Services manager they may have service that is starting automatically. You can open Services manager by typing services.msc into Start Menu search box.

Posted Image

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,991 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 AM

Posted 07 November 2015 - 11:02 AM

Another thought:   How full is your hard disk?  It seems that indexing under Win10 is largely a "when other stuff is idle" process and can go on in dribs and drabs for days on end.  If it's already jam packed with stuff, you're constantly doing other tasks, and your computer isn't allowed to stay on overnight (or whenever you're not using it) this could be a part of the equation.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#6 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2015 - 09:16 PM

My apologies that I haven't gotten back to this, I have had a car accident and sorting out with insurance and recovering etc.

hard disk isn't very full, PC hardly used, not a main PC, just there when I need it for Windows stuff, not very often.  over 800GB free space. This issue is on boot up so you can't do much.

Windows 7 on it original, then upgrade Windows 10, i didn't do it the windows seemed to did itself.

I also wondered about ... 'defrag' it was set to 'on' in the schedule, so I have turned the off. I might try that out for a few days and see if that helps.

I'm not sure about the task scheduler section.

#7 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2015 - 03:00 PM

seems to be still running high at boot up, think i go back to windows 7, never had that issue.

#8 wfallon

wfallon

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 AM

Posted 27 December 2015 - 03:45 AM

SoftThinks Agent Service is Dell's backup service. It will go up and down, depending on what it thinks it needs to backup.

Bill

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users