Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

First Bootup(s) Not Quite Successful

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 TheEmuRider

TheEmuRider

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 PM

Posted 21 July 2006 - 06:39 PM

I just finished my build, and double checked all the connections. Turned the PSU switch on, then hit the power button.. viola, all the fans start spinning, the power LED on the motherboard lights up, Floppy drive LED lights up, everything seems to work fine.

I then notice there to be no display. The monitor simply says it is in power-save mode, and to activate using PC. All connections are double and triple checked. I then notice that the power and HD activity LEDs on the front panel of the case are not illuminated.

I turn off the PC, check the LED light connections on the motherboard. Turn PC back on, and the lights flash on for a brief moment then turn back off. Still no display. Fans etc still running. No system speaker beeps.

setup is as follows:
Antec Sonata II w/ ATX smartpower 2.0 450watt
Asus A8N5X motherboard
evga geforce 7600gt pcie
WD caviar SATA 3.0 HD
Corsair value select 1gb ram

Any advice? Think it's a faulty mobo or gfx card?
thanks for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 21 July 2006 - 06:58 PM

Do you have another power supply? Try it again with a different power supply. Also you can strip down the mobo to the bare minimum and try booting. This means removing all drives and any sticks of RAM above one stick. Try to boot. Does it work now? If not, take the mobo out of the case and try to boot it with the mobo out of the case. Often the mobos short out on the case.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 TheEmuRider

TheEmuRider
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2006 - 02:35 PM

Unfortunately other than this old Dell psu I dont have any other supplies, and I cant be taking this pc apart to use it.

So today when I powered the new build up, ALL the lights illuminated, all the fans work, CD drive opens/closes, everything seems fine.... but still no display, and still no beeps. Do you really think it is the PSU?

About stripping down the mobo... there is no onboard memory, so there is no way to see if the display works then.

I'm thinking this may be a vid card problem....
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16814130017
This is my card. My power supply has its own individual "PCI-E" cable, but I cant find a place on the card to plug it in... however this keeps bothering me, making me think I should have plugged it in somewhere. Is this cable just for higher end cards which need more power? Or am I just not finding the input for it? Perhaps someone could help with that as well...

My mobo:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16813131569

Thanks again

#4 Gothmog

Gothmog

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2006 - 01:15 AM

Is this cable just for higher end cards which need more power?

Yes. There is no addl power requirement for the 7600 on the NewEgg page and I recall reading a review that mentioned the 7600 series didn't need independent power. A tiny little bonus that made it more compatible for older PSUs. The more power hungry cards do need it though.

I copied this from the system requirements of a 7900gt:

An available 6 pin PCI-E power connector (hard drive power dongle to PCI-E 6 pin adapter included with card)

the older high end cards just use a 4 pin molex (the plug you use for a HD)

As far as your problem goes, can you get another vid card to install and rule out that as your problem?

everything seems fine.... but still no display, and still no beeps

If you are not gettin any beeps then chances are you are not gonna see anything anyway.
Make sure and seat the vid card securely. I remove it completely and reinstall it to make sure it sits tight and secure. Same goes for all other cards, but you may want to follow Al's suggestion if you haven't already. Unplug drives completely(not just power) b/c that can cause a problem for some reason.

#5 DaveM59

DaveM59

Bleepin' Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 AM

Posted 23 July 2006 - 09:59 AM

What Albert F. meant by "stripping down the mobo" was

This means removing all drives and any sticks of RAM above one stick

What I notice is that you're trying to use an ATI vid card with an NVidia chipset. This is swimming upstream to put it mildly. Therefore I second Gothmog's suggestion to try another video card.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2006 - 01:29 AM

It's been my experience that the nForce chipsets work well with ATI video cards (although I'd never use one in my own system again).

No beeps means everything's OK - so, no more problem, huh?

Seriously, it's most likely the mobo or the vid card - so I'll 3rd Gothmog's suggestion of trying another vid card.

It's been my experience that the nForce chipsets work well with ATI video cards (although I'd never use one in my own system again).

No beeps means everything's OK - so, no more problem, huh?

Seriously, it's most likely the mobo or the vid card - so I'll 3rd Gothmog's suggestion of trying another vid card.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 TheEmuRider

TheEmuRider
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2006 - 02:49 PM

It's not an ATI card.

Also, I tried all these suggestions, still nothing. As I said in matt's post, I called ASUS and they told me the shipped bios doesnt support newer CPU's, and they are sending me an updated bios chip since I cant update it manually.

If that doesn't work I will proceed to bang my head on the desk, then come here to complain about it not working :thumbsup:

#8 cnb4

cnb4

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2006 - 11:37 AM

Im building my first computer and am running into the same problem. Asus a8n5x mobo, amd 64 x2 4200, geforce 7600 gt, and no display. Have you figured out a solution/workaround to this problem?

#9 TheEmuRider

TheEmuRider
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2006 - 09:14 PM

after several tries at solving it with tech support etc they told me it was defective and to send it back.

2nd board did the same thing... they told me to send it back again.

waiting for 3rd board.. it doesnt make sense that they would send me a back board for RMA but i guess it could happen?

#10 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2006 - 07:24 AM

waiting for 3rd board.. it doesnt make sense that they would send me a back board for RMA but i guess it could happen?

If it happens with the 3rd board and you think it may be another issue, start a new thread here at BC. It gets confusing when you tag your issue onto someone else's thread, and it will hamper you getting the proper help.

EDIT: I am an idiot. I should have had more coffee before writing the above drivel. Please excuse me!

Edited by Albert Frankenstein, 14 August 2006 - 10:38 AM.

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#11 lcplsexton

lcplsexton

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 AM

Posted 15 August 2006 - 09:39 PM

I take it the BIOS update didn't work...I have the exact same card, but with a newer board (A8N SLI Premium), which came with the latest BIOS version Asus offers. Since the new BIOS chip didn't work, I would suggest the video card itself may be defective.

*edit* And by the EXACT same card I mean the same eVGA card you linked before.

Edited by lcplsexton, 15 August 2006 - 09:41 PM.

#12 U2foreverU2

U2foreverU2

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 AM

Posted 20 August 2006 - 02:25 PM

I have an AMD Athlon 64 3500+ (Venice 939) Rev. DH-E3). Mobo Asus A8V Deluxe, Chipset Via K8T800Pro, AMD Hammer. 4 x 512 PC-3200 DDR-SDRAM (manufactured by S3+). Grapic Card Saphire Radeon 9250 (256 MB).

A few weeks ago my PSU stopped working, because the electricity in the house went down a few times with my computer on.
When I booted up the system everytime I heard some soft clocks. On the front panel light the green light showed up and right the red light. And it seemed if my computer tried several times to start up without succeeding.
Sometimes (after turning of the power and switching it on again) it started up but immediately my system gives an error "System Failed to CPU overclocking). Strange because I had never touched anything !
So I went back to the store where I bought my PC. The guy replaced the PSU (with a new Tecnoware Powersystems FAL500PRO2. Don't ask me if it's a good one because I don't know).
But unfortunately everytime I had the same problems and same message.
So I went on several forums to search for some suggestions and did all I can hoping my problem could be resolved: Cleared CMBIOS, updated to Bios version 1017.002, took memory sticks out and left one in to check if the memory sticks were defected. Tried to change some things in Bios settings, but until today nothing helped.
But finally today something (at least it seems !!) changed!

In my BIOS I loaded the default settings and the I saw that in the ADVANCED section there is an option AI overclocking. And even with the default settings loaded it's on AUTO. But in the manual of my Asus A8V deluxe there written STANDARD. So I changed that to STANDARD. Also I changed my AGP Aperture size to 64 MB (first it was on 256 MB).
I heard that some ATI (Saphire) Radeon cards sometimes have some conflicts with AMD stuff, but I don't know if that's correct.
Anyway after these new settings I have already managed to boot up 5 times today without problems and without any error message.
I don't know if I did the right thing or that it is just luck, but it works for me and I hope also tomorrow my system will boot up. Now I'm "happy" after 2 weeks of getting crazy searching everywhere to find the problem.
I have seen also on this forum there are lots of people with Boot Up problems and some had almost the same things I had. So I'd like to know if someone give me some suggestions and my PC configuration, my BIOS settings etc. Maybe also my Graphic card is not "good" enough in combination with the other hardware on my PC.
So.....if anyone likes to say something I would be grateful.

#13 TheEmuRider

TheEmuRider
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2006 - 03:45 PM

If it happens with the 3rd board and you think it may be another issue, start a new thread here at BC. It gets confusing when you tag your issue onto someone else's thread, and it will hamper you getting the proper help.

EDIT: I am an idiot. I should have had more coffee before writing the above drivel. Please excuse me!

:thumbsup: It's okay I can see how by now it's confusing as to who started this thread haha.

Yes if the third board doesn't fix it Im going to pick up the cheapest PCIE x16 card I can find (probably a 6200?) and see if it isn't my video card. It seems like a really good chance it is the card, but I haven't tried another card yet because a) tech support told me it wasn't the card and :huh: I didn't want to buy another one :-\

But if it means finally getting this thing to work then maybe it's worth the 40 bucks.

ASUS said they shipped it back on thursday... let's hope I get it this week... and it works... ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users