Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

what is gateway speed and is it relevant

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 F_Zero45

F_Zero45

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 06 November 2015 - 12:13 PM

I was wondering what the "Internet Gateway" speed is. I have a rig running XP. It's a P4S8X-X with a cerleron 2.0 GHz. with 2 gigs of RAM. I was using the onboard ethernet port and was getting the following:

>network connections

Internet Gateway > Properties > Speed - 4.2 Mbps

Local Area Connection > Properties > Speed - 100 Mbps

The webbrowsing and downloads seemed slow compaired to my laptop. I thought if I got a new NIC my internet seed would be faster. So I purchased a TP-Link Gigabit NIC. I dont notice any differance at all surfing the internet. I get:

>network connections

Internet Gateway > Properties > Speed - 4.2 Mbps (Still)

Local Area Connection > Properties > Speed - 1Gbps

The computer runs smooth, for it's age, opening files and folders. As far as I can tell. No real issues. I mainly use it for transfering over FTP and sharing files on my LAN. I run the standard preventive maintinaces on it regularly. Antivirus, defrag, checkdisk etc

I'm using a Asus router on wired ethernet connection.

Any thought?

Edited by F_Zero45, 06 November 2015 - 12:15 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,876 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 PM

Posted 06 November 2015 - 01:22 PM

There are 2 key elements which determine browsing/connectivity speeds:

a.  The ISP.  The differences between dialup, DSL, cable, etc. are all determined by user agreement with the ISP, mindful that advertised/stated speeds...may not actually mirror what user gets.

b.  The "gateway" device used by the browsing user.  It is the intermediary between what the ISP attempts to provide...and what type of connectivity speeds are actually experienced.

There are also other considerations but those are the main two.  See http://www.plugthingsin.com/internet/connection/dialup-vs-high-speed-internet/ .

You can test your connectivity speed by visiting one of several sites...but bear in mind that you probably will not see the glowing speeds your ISP promised you.  Actually, they did NOT promise, if you read that contract you agreed to :).

Test Connectivity Speeds

Louis

#3 F_Zero45

F_Zero45
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2015 - 02:18 PM

Thanks for the reply. This desktop is the only pc I get this speed on. That is why I upgraded the NIC. I guess the real question in what is the differance in gateway speed and local area speed?

>network connections

Internet Gateway > Properties > Speed - 4.2 Mbps (Still)

Local Area Connection > Properties > Speed - 1Gbps

Does this mean my internet is only coming in at 4.2 Mbps and I am sharing my files in my LAN at 1 Gbps?

Why or what is preventing the gateway speed from changing? I do not think it is the actual router. When I unplug the ethernet cable from the back of this desktop and plug it into my laptop the speed is great. Even on speedtest.net shows over 200 Mbps download. That tells me the cable and router and ISP are all working as they should.

Edited by F_Zero45, 06 November 2015 - 02:25 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,876 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2015 - 03:56 PM

The LAC should be is your local network device, the Gateway is the modem/router that allows connectivity/communication with the Internet/Web.  Your NIC/wireless lan cannot connect without the Gateway...that's why it's called "the gateway" :).

A NIC/wireless LAN...is only a connection to the Gateway, but it's the connection which allows the system to communicate via the Gateway...to the Web.

Louis

#5 F_Zero45

F_Zero45
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2015 - 05:56 PM

I'm still unclear as to where the problem is then. This one desktop is the only machine on my LAN that has the slowest internet speed and is the only one running XP. I thought the new Gigabit ethernet card would fix the problem for some reason I get the same speed. How or why would and ISP limit only one machine to a slower speed than the others

WHat do you suggest louis?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,876 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2015 - 06:02 PM

I can't answer your questions...the only times I ever concerned myself with connectivity speed...occurred when I went from dialup to cable.  I don't get bogged down in upload/download speeds...but others here do, so I suggest you wait for some other responses.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users