Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Administator Permissions

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Ubtree

Ubtree

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 06 November 2015 - 11:38 AM

I am an experienced user, but by no means an expert, and I'm having problems with administrator permissions since moving to Windows 10.  For example:

• One program will not run unless the "Run this program as an administrator" box, under the program's "Properties - Compatibility" tab is checked.
  • When I try to change the name of a start menu shortcut folder, the error message "You'll need to provide administrator permission to remame this folder" appears.  If I click "Continue", it accepts the name change.

Since I am logged on as an administrator ( - there is only one user account set up, and therefore it has to have administrator rights),  I do not understand this behaviour.

Can anyone help me with this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,839 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 AM

Posted 06 November 2015 - 11:49 AM

This has been standard Windows behavior for some time now.  I've gotten this kind of response since Win7 (and used to find it as annoying as you do).

Even if you are an administrator, not everything you attempt to do is run with administrator privileges by default, and that's intentional so as to avoid some "common accidents."

For things you routinely trigger from your desktop you can go into the shortcut properties, advanced, and check the "Run as Administrator" checkbox.  This will make that particular program automatically run with elevated administrator privileges when you run it using that shortcut.

Some of this was able to be reduced via tweaking User Account Control (UAC) as well.

Have you gone straight from an XP environment to Win10?  I ask only because I'm surprised you haven't already encountered this behavior in the past if you were using any Windows version later than Vista.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#3 Ubtree

Ubtree
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2015 - 11:55 AM

Have you gone straight from an XP environment to Win10?  I ask only because I'm surprised you haven't already encountered this behavior in the past if you were using any Windows version later than Vista.

Thank you for the rapid reply!  No, I skipped Windows 8, but used Windows 7 extensively.  In Windows 7, I found that if I set UAC to "Never notify" ( I know - not recommended ! ), I no longer suffered from these nags.  The same setting in Windows 10 has not resolved the issue.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,839 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 AM

Posted 06 November 2015 - 12:26 PM

Someone else will have to chime in as to whether there exists a tweak in Win10 settings that will eliminate the nags you refer to.  I don't know of one and have become so accustomed to them, and they don't occur very often, that I just click "Continue" (or whatever the appropriate affirmative response is in the context) and proceed.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#5 Ubtree

Ubtree
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2015 - 12:28 PM

I've no doubt that I'll get used to them  -  but it would be nice not to have to !

Thank you again for the response.

#6 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 AM

Posted 06 November 2015 - 01:18 PM

In my win 10 on this PC I have found no way to make changes permanent. I still get the uac prompt now and again when trying to run certain functions. Like you I am in a Admin account when this happens but says I do not have full admin privelages and need to elevate them.

A real nuisance at times.

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

#7 Ubtree

Ubtree
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2015 - 01:24 PM

Like you I am in a Admin account when this happens but says I do not have full admin privelages and need to elevate them.

That's reassuring.  My experience in this area is not that wide, and I was assuming that I must have missed something.  But it looks as though Microsoft may have tied things down even tighter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users