Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing 64 bit windows

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 spngbobis4me

spngbobis4me

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 AM

Posted 06 November 2015 - 11:03 AM

I'm trying to find out if my Gateway MD2614U can run 64 bit Windows? It's running 32 bit right now but originally I thought it came with

64 bit vista. If so do I need to change settings or something to install 64 bit windows? K I just went to the performance tools and it says I can run 64 bit. When I try to run the cd it says it's not compatible, and when I try to boot from the cd it just goes starts windows normally?

Edited by spngbobis4me, 06 November 2015 - 11:23 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 PM

Posted 06 November 2015 - 11:30 AM

If you have less than 3GB on the computer I would stick with 32bit as you may have an easier time finding 32bit drivers for your old hardware.

That being said, you can find out if you have a 64bit capable processor with this program. It will show your maximum bit length.

https://www.grc.com/securable.htm

#3 spngbobis4me

spngbobis4me
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2015 - 12:55 PM

It is 64 bit capable I just can't get it to install windows from the cd?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,233 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2015 - 01:32 PM

What is the exact error shown? Can you provide a screenshot?

Is the DVD drive selected as first boot device in BIOS? The computer may have a boot menu. Try tapping either Esc or F10 at boot to see if it give you a boot option.

https://panam.gateway.com/s/Mobile/Gateway/M275/3501734faq69.shtml

#5 spngbobis4me

spngbobis4me
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2015 - 12:19 AM

Sorry for the delay, I discovered that my problem was my cd was not a bootable cd. So I have since created a bootable instalation disc. I have tested it succesfully on my laptop which is running 64 bit. My problem is It wont boot on the 32 bit and I dont know why? I have the dvd set to first boot. I'm thinking it has to do with changing it from 32 to 64 bit but not sure what I need to do?

Originally this laptop was running 64 bit so it has enought memory.

Edited by spngbobis4me, 08 November 2015 - 12:22 AM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,233 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2015 - 01:25 PM

It's possible the 32bit computer cannot read the disk because of an issue with the optical drive. You can create a bootable USB flash drive with Rufus. You need to create the iso file from the bootable disk first. The flash drive should boot. If the computer originally ran 64bit then there should not be an issue booting. 

Edit: When you install Imgburn make sure you opt out of any optional software. When you start Rufus select MBR for a partition scheme. Make sure the flash drive is shown in listed. Where Freedos is listed in the dropdown box select iso image. Click on the folder icon and browse to the iso image you created with Imgburn. Press Start. Make sure any data on the flash drive is backed up first.

Edited by JohnC_21, 08 November 2015 - 01:28 PM.

#7 spngbobis4me

spngbobis4me
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2015 - 01:51 PM

Thank you for all your input.I finally got it to boot from the cd and in the process of doing the instalation now. So far no problems,Thanks.

#8 spngbobis4me

spngbobis4me
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2015 - 02:21 AM

I finished the instalation with no problems! yeah, all done.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users