Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Small Business Computer Back Up Suggestions?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 sarahg1480

sarahg1480

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 AM

Posted 06 November 2015 - 10:21 AM

We are a small business with 2 computers.

Currently we back up both our computers to Idrive. We are on the edge of upgrading our account. We pay for 50.00 GB now and it's almost full. I was told if we up that the back up retrieval time can be 6-8 weeks if our systems were to crash.

Can anyone suggest an alternative back up system? Or give us a direction to go?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 AM

Posted 06 November 2015 - 04:07 PM

If I had a small business of any sort...I would backup manually each week, using a program akin to Macrium reflect.  The most important thing would be to understand how to quickly re-establish a working system, in the event of catastrophe.

I don't believe in storing anything of value online, just a personal quirk.  It seems absurd to me that I should ever trust someone that I've never met...with data I consider valuable/essential...when I can store it with greater piece of mind myself at a secure offsite location.

They sell multi-TB hard drives for less than $100 these days...it seems absurd to pay anyone to store 50GB or so of data when that 20 times that amount can fit on a 1TB hard drive which can stored in a safety deposit box or some such.  Readily accessible when needed.

Another possible storage location (IMO) would be your accountant, assuming that you keep books, pay taxes, etc.

There are alternatives that fit...whatever it is that you may desire.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 08 November 2015 - 03:35 PM.

#3 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,617 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 AM

Posted 06 November 2015 - 11:33 PM

+1 with Hamluis;  I suggest 2 dual docking stations and daily backups to each; one backup HDD stays on location, and the other goes home with you every night. I have been using Macrium Reflect for a couple of years and done numerous restores with great results.

The first one off the top is what I use and have set up for homeowners with no problems.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=orico&N=-1&isNodeId=1

Edited by ranchhand_, 06 November 2015 - 11:34 PM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,423 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 AM

Posted 07 November 2015 - 04:42 PM

+1 with Ranchhand

It has to be two copies - one on site, one elsewhere. The technology you use is less important than that you use it and that you have checked that whatever back-up system you decide to use you test to make sure that it DOES work as a back-up. In other word that you can restore a functioning data set in the event of an emergency.

The example I have quoted more than once is that of a medium sized haulage company I used to work for. A fire one night destroyed their main warehouse and head office complex. They lost somewhere between 12 and 18 hours control of their fleet - the time it took to get temporary accommodation on site and equip it with the necessary office fittings - the coffee maker, the computers, the telephones, etc.. They lost no permanent business, and were back up running so quickly, because of external back-ups.

If you only have one copy in a drawer in the office and the office goes up in flames you might as well not have bothered.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users