Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

sfc /scannow unable to fix corrupt file

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 guiyak1

guiyak1

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 PM

Posted 06 November 2015 - 09:42 AM

I ran a system file check and have a corrupt file that couldn't be fixed. 

secdrv.sys of Macrovision-Protection-SafeDisc

How can I fix this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MarkMCS

MarkMCS

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2015 - 04:41 PM

Hello.

secdrv.sys is used by games which use Macrovision SafeDisc. The driver validates the authenticity of games that are protected with SafeDisc and prohibits unauthorized copies of such games to play on Windows. Without the driver, games with SafeDisc protection would be unable to play on Windows. SafeDisc remains inactive until invoked by a game for authorization to play on Windows.  http://www.file.net/process/secdrv.sys.html.

If you are not having any issues with your system, I wouldn't worry about this error. 

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.  -Emo Phillips

#3 guiyak1

guiyak1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2015 - 05:54 PM

Thanks for answering.  I'm having lots of issues with my computer, I just don't know where to begin.

#4 MarkMCS

MarkMCS

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2015 - 06:39 PM

I understand.

What are the issues you're having?  Please tell me what system you have and what OS you're running.

Let me know of any obvious problems and I will help you.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.  -Emo Phillips

#5 guiyak1

guiyak1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2015 - 07:48 PM

I have a Dell Inspiron 530 with Windows Vista Home Premium Service Pack 1.   I'm not able to update to Service Pack 2.  Unfortunately, I had Service Pack 2 but had uninstalled it thinking it would help to uninstall some of the window updates. 

The computer freezes or stops responding when searching on the web.  I'm not able to use services or Microsoft Windows Office, they are not responding.  

Edited by guiyak1, 06 November 2015 - 07:53 PM.

#6 MarkMCS

MarkMCS

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2015 - 08:25 PM

Vista SP1 hasn't been supported since 2012.  You need to install Vista SP2 manually.  Here are the links..  For Vista x86 (32bit) https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=16468  

(64bit) https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=17669

If you are unable to install the Service pack, go to safe mode and try again.  once you are up to date we can assess other issues.  Let me know how it turns out.

Edited by MarkMCS, 06 November 2015 - 08:28 PM.

#7 MarkMCS

MarkMCS

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2015 - 08:30 PM

Let's see what issues you have and hopefully you won't need to reinstall your OS

Edited by MarkMCS, 07 November 2015 - 07:05 PM.

#8 guiyak1

guiyak1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2015 - 10:20 AM

It says thank you for downloading, but it doesn't show up anywhere.

#9 guiyak1

guiyak1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2015 - 12:21 PM

I still haven't been able to update to SP2.  It reverts the changes.  Could it be because Task Scheduler is corrupt?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users