Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Weird Internet issues, Packet Loss? Help please =(

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 EvilHakik

EvilHakik

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 PM

Posted 06 November 2015 - 09:11 AM

Ok, so for the past 2 months my internet has been having serious issues. I have tried asking my internet provider for help, They don't seem to know what their doing, So i have come here to ask for help and or advice. The Problem is as follows.

All day every day my brothers and i have strange issues while playing online games, or streaming video, it is also affecting skype making us sound like robots. For example, While playing League of legends, WE will lose control of our champions, we cannot move them at all for 1-10 seconds BUT everyone else around us is still moving around going HAM. This is happening to 2 Different Ethernet wired Pc's, a wireless laptop, and 2 different xbox ones. It happens while connected to our router AND while directly connected to our modem. In the last 2 weeks, our ISP has sent 2 technicians, The first one installed a new modem, with a new cable line to the wall, and a new cable wall outlet as well, He then ran speed test, said everything was fine, and left. The problem STILL continued. So they sent another technician, he got here, plugged his laptop into the modem, ran speed-test, said there was nothing wrong, then left. The problem still continues. So i am now here asking for the community's help. From what i have been able to find on my own, i believe the problem may be from packet loss. I've been running ping test every day at different hours on my pc's and we will go from 1% packet loss to 50% packet loss all day everyday it must even hit 100% packet loss too because the internet will randomly just go off completely, and when i call tech support they say "Your modem has gone into sleep mode, please reboot it" I just don't understand whats going on, and hope someone can give me tips or point me in the direction of what i need to do to figure this out.

I live in Ontario, Canada, My isp is Cogeco.

Here is video of the lag in action, http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=4i0wec&s=9#.Vjyz6fmrTIV

This goes on all day everyday, If anyone can help me, i would love you forever.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 QQQQ

QQQQ

• Members
  • 388 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 PM

Posted 06 November 2015 - 09:25 AM

You found your problem, packet loss. I have heard of this https://www.pingplotter.com/ but haven't used it. It is supposed to assist with determining your packet loss problem. Contact your ISP and tell them you have a packet loss problem. Any packet loss is bad, the worse it is the more problems you will have. A lot of times you ISP won't do anything for small amounts of packet loss but 50% is basically unusable, contact them and complain.

#3 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 06 November 2015 - 02:35 PM

Packet loss between you and your isp can be fixed by your isp. Packet loss beyond the ISP is not fixable by the isp.

You need to determine WHERE the packet loss it.  One way of getting an idea of where is to get your game servers ip address and use tracert ipaddress.  Then post those results for review.

#4 Jormeno1982

Jormeno1982

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2015 - 04:29 PM

Packet loss between you and your isp can be fixed by your isp. Packet loss beyond the ISP is not fixable by the isp.

You need to determine WHERE the packet loss it.  One way of getting an idea of where is to get your game servers ip address and use tracert ipaddress.  Then post those results for review.

Yes running a trace route is the best plan of action. Please go to start > run > type in cmd > type in tracert IPadress > hit enter and please copy and paste results here.

Don't settle for less, even a genius asks his questions. - 2pac

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 PM

Posted 06 November 2015 - 04:54 PM

Could this apply to your service?  Cable from house wall to the router is RJ[?]-6 or something-6, not 5?

Our Time Warner service was troublesome until finally one tech exchanged the wall-to-cable box 5 with a 6.

Edited by RolandJS, 06 November 2015 - 07:29 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#6 EvilHakik

EvilHakik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2015 - 06:33 PM

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  router.dlink.com [192.168.0.1]
  2    20 ms    18 ms    17 ms  217-12-226-24.rev.cgocable.net [24.226.12.217]
  3    28 ms    30 ms    40 ms  riotgames.torontointernetxchange.net [206.108.34.247]
  4    26 ms    27 ms    27 ms  104.160.131.46
  5    28 ms    49 ms    31 ms  104.160.131.103
  6     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  7     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  8     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  9     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 10     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 11     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 12     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 13     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 14     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 15     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 16     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 17     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 18     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 19     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 20     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 21     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 22     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 23     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 24     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 25     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 26     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 27     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 28     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 29     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 30     *

I dont know how to read this, can someone help me =/

#7 Jormeno1982

Jormeno1982

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2015 - 07:47 PM

Thank you for providing that information. So what just showed us is the route your isp was giving you to hit that website. As you see it fails at hop number six. You will need to contact your ISP and tell them that your traffic route is being stopped at 104.160.131.103. And it's not hitting the destination address. Just to warn you please request to have this escalated to tier 2. There is nothing wrong with your network.

#8 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 07 November 2015 - 12:35 AM

Request time out has a number of reasons.

Most common is the router at that hop is configured to not respond to icmp which is the protocol ping uses.

The other reason is at hop 6 the request hit something that went into a loop going nowhere.

Since you have been connected directly to the modem [you should do this test again connected to the modem just so you can rule the router out] and different devices....

It is a problem with your isp.  You will need to hound them to get anywhere. The unfortunate thing is they will have to complain to their provider Toronto internet exchange to get anywhere.

#9 Jormeno1982

Jormeno1982

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2015 - 10:13 AM

Have you reached out to your ISP yet?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users