Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Crypto e-mail service pays $6,000 ransom, gets taken out by DDoS anyway", ArsT.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 AM

Posted 06 November 2015 - 08:25 AM

A provider of end-to-end encrypted e-mail said it paid a ransom of almost $6,000 to stop highly advanced denial-of-service attacks that knocked its networks, and the networks of some of its upstream providers, offline.

In a blog post published Thursday, officials of Switzerland-based ProtonMail said they "grudgingly agreed" to pay 15 bitcoins, which at current valuations came to about $5,850, to the attackers in exchange for them halting the assault. Even after paying the sum, however, crippling attacks continued, although at the time the blog post was being written, they had subsided. The ransom payment is generating protest from critics who say it will only encourage more attacks.

Crypto e-mail service pays $6,000 ransom, gets taken out by DDoS anyway

ProtonMail isn't off to a good start sadly. I hope they didn't pick the ransom money from the IndieGogo campaign they made to fund their project, otherwise it means that $6,000 less will be invested in it, and it's sad because the project looks very interesting and I'm sure that a lot of users would like to use the service or at least give it a try.

Edit: On my end, the website still looks offline, but I'm at work and it could be blocked in the firewall.

Edited by Aura, 06 November 2015 - 08:28 AM.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 White Hat Mike

White Hat Mike

• Members
  • 312 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 AM

Posted 06 November 2015 - 10:31 AM

Pretty dumb to pay a ransom to stop a DDoS attack.  Even if they stopped after the initial payment, it's just going to keep happening, especially now that they know that they can extort money out of them.  If their upstream providers are getting knocked out they have bigger issues, and should consider switching ISPs...

Information Security Engineer | Penetration Tester | Forensic Analyst

CipherTechs.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users