Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Graphs in Lotus smarsuite 1-2-3 are blank

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 PFrontezak

PFrontezak

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 AM

Posted 06 November 2015 - 06:04 AM

I use Lotus 123 on windows for years .

I installed windows 10 one month ago and 123 (Version 9.6) worked perfectly up to now, but  today, the graphs of my spreadsheets are no longer displayed. They remain blank.

Does anyone have encountered and solved this problem?

Thanks for your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 PM

Posted 06 November 2015 - 11:20 PM

Wow, if it HAD worked but doesn't now, that can only be due to a Windows 10 update.  Are you on RTM or Insider version?  If on the former, your post here will or should generate one of the Insiders to report it for you.

My experience was that it worked, as I put 9.8.2 on the build 10240 of Win10 (the RTM version), but I stopped using it and had no updates.

If it doesn't work, the problem might be similar to Windows 7, which handles graphics differently and sometimes produces a blank screen when you hit the fullscreen Graph display.  That same problem occurred in DOS Lotus 123, on Windows post-XP.

Now, there might be a fix coming. For a whole lot of people in business, still use SmartSuite.  IBM won't be helpful here, all they told me to do was not even install Win7.  But excepting that graph thingy, SmarSuite works fine in some versions of Win7, 8, and in 10 like you said, it also worked.

So the quickest solution would be to assume a Windows Update is the problem.  Can you roll back each update, and test when the graph starts working again?

Edited by brainout, 06 November 2015 - 11:21 PM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#3 PFrontezak

PFrontezak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2015 - 05:42 AM

Thank you braiout for your answer.

I have family RTM version.

The last updates are only on windows defender, the others updates has been installed before this bug, including one on Adobe acrobat reader DC (15.009.20069 Planned Update)

Nevertheless I try to uninstall the last updates...

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 PM

Posted 07 November 2015 - 05:43 AM

I don't know much about this, but this topic may tell you more:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/584074/lotus-123-and-windows-10/

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 PFrontezak

PFrontezak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2015 - 05:59 AM

Thanks usasma.

I had seen this topic, but I didn't find anything on this problem.

#6 PFrontezak

PFrontezak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2015 - 07:03 AM

I have uninstalled acrobat reader DC and the last system update (KB3105210), but this doen't solved the problem, the charts are still blank.

I try to create a new graph, and 123 crashes.

I feel I'll have to switch all the spreadsheets in Excel. :angry:

#7 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2015 - 04:29 PM

Did you try installing a later SmartSuite version, like 9.8.2?  I ask, because you can get the updates cheap on Amazon.  I've purchased maybe four or five sets of SmarSuite, and each was under $50.  So the upgrades from 9.6 shouldn't be expensive.

Also, did you UPDATE TO 10 with SmartSuite already installed?  If yes, try uninstalling it (after backing up your data, of course) and then reinstall it.  For generally speaking, the OS should never be installed inplace, whether Windows or Linux, as the older stuff in place often creates bugs which wouldn't otherwise exist.

I installed Smartsuite 9.8.2 AFTER installing Win10, and had no problems with it, but I stopped updates to Win10 back first week of August, so I can't be authoritative about my advice, here.

Still, these are steps which might solve your problem?  Worth trying, maybe?

Edited by brainout, 07 November 2015 - 04:30 PM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#8 PFrontezak

PFrontezak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2015 - 05:21 PM

Hi Brainout,

I have look for a later version but it's around 100$, not too expensive, but if it's doen't work it not a good deal.

I have removed and re'installed smartsuite, but the problem is the same.

Thank for your advises

#9 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2015 - 09:32 PM

Hi Brainout,

I have look for a later version but it's around 100$, not too expensive, but if it's doen't work it not a good deal.

I have removed and re'installed smartsuite, but the problem is the same.

Thank for your advises

Well here's another idea.  Try running it in a lower Compatibility mode.  How to do that?  Navigate to your Lotus directory, then find the exe file which is for the program that contains the graph, and right click that exe file (each of the SW~.exe files).  If you right click, then select Properties, you'll see a dialogue box with tabs.  Select 'Compatibility'.  Then check the box at left of "Run this program in compatibility mode for" and then you can select from a drop-down list of former Windows OSes.  Start with Windows 7, since it worked in Win10 before, see what happens.  If it still doesn't work, then go lower as to the OS.  And/or, also select each time, one of the 'Settings'.

See, since it USED to work in your Win10, some update changed something.  This Compatibility tab's settings can help you sleuth out what changed.  So experiment with changing the settings and then see if any changes occur.

Else I don't know what else to suggest.

#10 PFrontezak

PFrontezak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2015 - 09:22 AM

Hi Brainout,

I found and change the properties for 123.exe in the lotus 123 directory, ltsaan11.exe (?) in compnent directory. It's all I have found, but this doesn't solve the problem.

Thank you for your help.

Have a good day.

#11 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2015 - 01:57 PM

Okay, then change them back to the original, if you tried ALL the various combinations of settings for Compatibility.  Hopefully a fix to Windows 10 will again arrive soon to solve the problem.

#12 PFrontezak

PFrontezak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2015 - 06:40 AM

I brainout,

It's solved :bounce:

I have changed the compatibility mode to windows 7 (by using the buttom "for all users" in the tab property/compatibility) and graphes are right displayed.

Thank you very much.

Patrick

#13 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,016 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2015 - 06:41 PM

Glad you finally got a solution to this problem !

Chris Cosgrove

#14 cr_tdi

cr_tdi

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 PM

Posted 31 January 2018 - 10:45 AM

PFrontezak, I confirm you're not the only human on Earth using Lotus 1-2-3 with Windows 10. This week we've been experiencing the exact same symptoms as you did back then and we did solve the problem the same way (by changing the compatibility to Windows 7). But guess what happened next? We couldn't open any Lotus 1-2-3 file that were stored on the Network. We had to copy the documents locally to modify them and afterwards push back the documents on the Network. To solve this, we only had to put the compatibility back to "normal" and by magic, graphics are displayed and we can work from the network. That's pretty weird behaviour but it works.

Regards,

Claude

Edited by cr_tdi, 31 January 2018 - 10:46 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users