Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My XP computer loses access sometimes in network with Win8 + Win7

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Gerry Peters

Gerry Peters

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 PM

Posted 06 November 2015 - 01:30 AM

I have a wired network of 3 computers - XP, Win 7 and Win 8. The network works fine between all the computers, file sharing and remote desktop, but after a few hours the XP computer loses access to the Win 7 computer.

From my XP PC, I get an error message of access denied when clicking on a mapped HD on the Win 7 computer, yet when this happens I can still use remote desktop on the XP computer to connect to the Win 7 computer. I can also access any HD on the Win 8 computer from the XP.

If I go to Network Places, when I click on Workgroup I get this access denied message using the XP PC.

“Workgroup is not accessible. you might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions”

When this happens if I reboot the Win7 PC, then the XP PC regains access again to the Win 7 PC.

About 3 months ago I would never lose access on the XP computer to the Win 7. I reverted to an image file for the Win 7 computer to return to the way it was 5 months ago and I still have the problem. I also reverted to an earlier image for the XP computer and that doesn't solve it.

For many years I never had these problems with the Win7 PC and 2 XP PCs. My problems started when I got the Win 8.1 Pro PC to replace one of the XP PCs. I'm wondering if this problem has something to do with the Win 8 computer, which is my main work computer, so it's difficult to revert to a very old image for it, simply because I'd have to spend a lot of time installing lots of programs and doing tweaks. I hope I can solve the problem without doing something extreme.

Recently I found that the Win 8 computer was set to public network, but I changed it to Private network. Unfortunately that didn't solve the problem. Any suggestions on solving this issue?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jormeno1982

Jormeno1982

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 06 November 2015 - 04:33 PM

I have a wired network of 3 computers - XP, Win 7 and Win 8. The network works fine between all the computers, file sharing and remote desktop, but after a few hours the XP computer loses access to the Win 7 computer.

From my XP PC, I get an error message of access denied when clicking on a mapped HD on the Win 7 computer, yet when this happens I can still use remote desktop on the XP computer to connect to the Win 7 computer. I can also access any HD on the Win 8 computer from the XP.

If I go to Network Places, when I click on Workgroup I get this access denied message using the XP PC.

“Workgroup is not accessible. you might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions”

When this happens if I reboot the Win7 PC, then the XP PC regains access again to the Win 7 PC.

About 3 months ago I would never lose access on the XP computer to the Win 7. I reverted to an image file for the Win 7 computer to return to the way it was 5 months ago and I still have the problem. I also reverted to an earlier image for the XP computer and that doesn't solve it.

For many years I never had these problems with the Win7 PC and 2 XP PCs. My problems started when I got the Win 8.1 Pro PC to replace one of the XP PCs. I'm wondering if this problem has something to do with the Win 8 computer, which is my main work computer, so it's difficult to revert to a very old image for it, simply because I'd have to spend a lot of time installing lots of programs and doing tweaks. I hope I can solve the problem without doing something extreme.

Recently I found that the Win 8 computer was set to public network, but I changed it to Private network. Unfortunately that didn't solve the problem. Any suggestions on solving this issue?

Are all machines in the same work group? If you are not sure please go to start > right click on my computer > select properties > select the change button. Please make sure all PC's are using the same workgroup.

Don't settle for less, even a genius asks his questions. - 2pac

#3 Gerry Peters

Gerry Peters
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2015 - 04:43 PM

Yes I verified that all 3 PCs have it listed

Workgroup:  WORKGROUP

I just noticed on the Win 8 computer that this is checked:

"This computer is part of a busness network"

I wonder if I should change this to :

"THis is a home computer"

Afterall this is a home computer network and I'm the only one that ever uses these computers

#4 Gerry Peters

Gerry Peters
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2015 - 04:51 PM

I noticed on the XP PC that if I click on "Network ID" A window pops up with the name "Network identification wizard". For now I just closed it.

Also I see on my Win7 PC that also this is checked:

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2015 - 04:59 PM

Assuming that Sharing has been done on all computers, wifey and I had the same problem with our hard-wire and wire-less, our Windows 7 HD could read from, write to Windows XP HD, however, our WXP HD could "see" W7 HD, but very seldom do much else with the W7-HD.  I'll be watching how you the OP resolve this [to learn from you], 'cause even our local tech did not really resolve the problem.  BTW, even though we now have 3 Windows 7 Pro HDs [computers], even so, now and then, one will poorly or not at all communicate until restarted.

Edited by RolandJS, 06 November 2015 - 08:04 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#6 Jormeno1982

Jormeno1982

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2015 - 05:07 PM

I noticed on the XP PC that if I click on "Network ID" A window pops up with the name "Network identification wizard". For now I just closed it.

Please change it to home network. let me know how that works.

#7 Gerry Peters

Gerry Peters
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2015 - 05:09 PM

Assuming that Sharing has been done on all computers, wifey and I had the same problem with our hard-wire and wire-less, our Windows 7 HD could read from, write to Windows XP HD, however, our WXP HD could "see" W7 HD, but very seldom do much else with the W7-HD.  I'll be watching how you the OP resolve this [to learn from you], 'cause even our local tech did not really resolve the problem.  BTW, even though we now have 3 Windows 7 Pro HDs [computers], even so, now and then, one will not all communication until restarted.

I found this to be helpful:

Right click every Hard Drive in your network on all computers, then choose

Properties/ Sharing/ advanced sharing/ permissions - click the boxes for full control for everyone

thanks for watching this thread, I hope we both benefit from these geniuses that hang out here

Edited by Gerry Peters, 06 November 2015 - 05:10 PM.

#8 Gerry Peters

Gerry Peters
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2015 - 05:22 PM

Please change it to home network. let me know how that works.

Ok I did that for the win7 and Win 8 computers and reboot them and also rebooted the XP just in case that helps. If you have any more suggestions let me know.

If this works I won't know that it truly has solved the problem until I go for maybe 2 or 3 days with no problems. Of course if I do have a problem I'll post on this thread right away. Thanks so much, I hope this does it

#9 Jormeno1982

Jormeno1982

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2015 - 07:48 PM

Please let us know.

#10 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2015 - 08:03 PM

Assuming that Sharing has been done on all computers, wifey and I had the same problem with our hard-wire and wire-less, our Windows 7 HD could read from, write to Windows XP HD, however, our WXP HD could "see" W7 HD, but very seldom do much else with the W7-HD.  I'll be watching how you the OP resolve this [to learn from you], 'cause even our local tech did not really resolve the problem.  BTW, even though we now have 3 Windows 7 Pro HDs [computers], even so, now and then, one will poorly or not at all communicate until restarted.  [edited my bad english into better english]

I found this to be helpful:

Right click every Hard Drive in your network on all computers, then choose

Properties/ Sharing/ advanced sharing/ permissions - click the boxes for full control for everyone

thanks for watching this thread, I hope we both benefit from these geniuses that hang out here

Yes, that is what I also do, however, 1 of 3 still hiccups from time to time...

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#11 Gerry Peters

Gerry Peters
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2015 - 08:04 PM

I'll definteily give you the good news if after 3 days we're good. Thanks so much

#12 Gerry Peters

Gerry Peters
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2015 - 12:27 AM

Well it's been 5 days and once my XP computer did lose access to the workgroup, but I was doing some unusual things in my network, so I'm hoping that was an abberation. No doubt this is quite a big improvement if not a definite fix for this problem. So thank you for the good guidance on fixing this. I'll post back here if the problem shows up again. If yo don't hear form me, consider htis fixed.

#13 Jormeno1982

Jormeno1982

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2015 - 09:18 AM

Well it's been 5 days and once my XP computer did lose access to the workgroup, but I was doing some unusual things in my network, so I'm hoping that was an abberation. No doubt this is quite a big improvement if not a definite fix for this problem. So thank you for the good guidance on fixing this. I'll post back here if the problem shows up again. If yo don't hear form me, consider htis fixed.

Sweet! 

#14 Gerry Peters

Gerry Peters
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2016 - 03:10 AM

My network problem is clearly much better, but it still happens sometimes, usually once a week or 2. So I hope I can get a few more tweaks or suggestions on how to make this work better. Here’s the same error message as before:

About 2 weeks ago my Win 7 machine had Firefox open uploading about  1.5 Gig of files. It takes about 2-3 hours, so I left the computer on all night. As usual I turned off the Win 8 computer and the XP computer. So the Win 7 computer was sitting idle for several hours.

When I got up the next morning I turned on my XP computer and my Win 8 computer, like I do every day. But I was surprised that my XP computer had the access denied  problem with the Win 7 computer. So I rebooted the Win 7 computer and then everything was fine. I then had network access on the XP computer. This has never happened before first thing in the morning.

In the past my normal routine is to first turn on the Win 7 computer and then turn on the Win 8 and XP computers. When I do it this way I’ve never had an access denied problem in the first hour or 2 in the morning.

The next night I did the exact same thing with the file uploads and leaving the Win 7 computer on and the exact same thin happened when I rebooted the XP computer – access denied. Same fix – reboot the Win 7 computer.

Today I lost the network again, but this time it was different from the above. I had all computers on for several hours. I was at the XP computer. I opened a network folder that was a folder on the Win 7 computer and started scanning a lyric sheet with my USB all in one printer plugged into the XP computer. I then used remote desktop to go to my Win 7 computer,  preparing the email while the scanning was going on the XP computer.

After the scan was done the window popped up and showed during the remote desktop session I was doing on the Win 7 computer. Maybe this is a clue to why I’m losing the network access. I went back to the XP computer and found the network folder was closed and then found that I had been denied access to the Win7 computer. Yes as usual remote desktop still worked.

When this happens, My workaround is to use remote desktop to go to the Win 7 computer and open the mapped folder that is on the XP and move the files from the XP to Win 7 computer. This is a strange problem. It’s like the Win 7 computer if left on long enough will decide t doesn’t like the XP computer and denies it access to the mapped folders. When ever this problem occurs I can fix it by rebooting the  Win 7 computer. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Gerry Peters, 09 January 2016 - 03:11 AM.

#15 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2016 - 10:24 AM

Gerry, I just now noticed your remote access amongst your three computers!  Because you and I share the same intramet connectivity problem, would you please tell me how to set up remote access for my three computers?  I'm not sure which services need to be Automatic, which services need to be Manual, and the appropriate shortcuts to have.  The Microsoft geek-stuff may be in English, but I have no "experience-connection" to what's read.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users