Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disable MS Onedrive/ Skydrive??

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Andrew77

Andrew77

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 PM

Posted 06 November 2015 - 12:44 AM

Just wondering if it's possible to disable Skydrive/Onedrive sync engine and more importantly, would it cause any adverse effects on on my PC. The ever present  TCP connection to wns.windows.com through the Explorer.exe process and Skydrive/Onedrive have always caused me to question what the purpose of these connections are. Problem/crash reporting? Anyways, that's all I got tonight :) Thanks guys

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew77

Andrew77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2015 - 01:21 AM

I have answered my own question! You guys can delete this topic

#3 sparklestar

sparklestar

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2015 - 01:26 AM

Please post the answer so other people with the same question can benefit

#4 Andrew77

Andrew77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2015 - 01:57 AM

Okay well, in my limited understanding Skydrive/Onedrive only accesses your data if and when you initiate the process yourself. Basically it's just a cloud service. I knew it was a cloud service, I just thought it strange that it would intermittently establish an outgoing TCP connection without me initiating the process. According to Microsoft there is absolutely no data collected for the purposes of monitoring it's users through the Skydrive process. The answer to my question was that, yes it can be disabled, but in order to do so I must be able to use the Group Policy Editor in Windows 8.1 Pro, which I do not have. In order to do what I wanted to do I would have to open the start menu select run, type in "regedit" go to and right click HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{8E74D236-7F35-4720-B138-1FED0B85EA75}\ go to permissions/advanced/change then enter your username press okay 3 times to close all requesters and change to DWOR value from the attributes from f08004d; to  f09004d and then restart my PC. Ofcourse I would backup my registry first.            I decided against taking this course  of action because I don't want to mess with my registry values, as I'm unfamiliar with what all of that means.

#5 Andrew77

Andrew77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2015 - 01:59 AM

What on earth is up with all those colors lol. I was having a little copy and pasting difficulty but... Sigh, oh well I'm going to roll with it.

http://www.alphr.com/blogs/2013/12/04/how-to-remove-skydrive-from-the-windows-8-1-explorer I should have just posted this link :)

Edited by Andrew77, 06 November 2015 - 01:58 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users