Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recommendations for photo-editing software?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 Codaeus

Codaeus

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 AM

Posted 05 November 2015 - 07:51 PM

I had planned on using Photoshop CS3, but even after all this time I find the price ($900) is still out of reach, so would like to hear alternatives. I had seen on some TV show about this artist in New York that takes famous paintings like Whistler's Mother, removes the face, and replaces it with his dogs' face. This is my main objective for the software. I will be fooling around with GIMP on Linux, but would like something for my XP Pro. Someone told me about Paint.Net, but I found out it requires .NET Framework, so that will not work. Any ideas of a software that will do what I need done, work on XP Pro, and not require the .NET bloatware?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 PM

Posted 06 November 2015 - 06:14 PM

The best information I have is that GIMP is available and will happily run on XP SP3, so why not try it on your XP machine if you already have some familiarity with it ?

There is also the image processor built into Windows - MS Paint. It is fairly basic but with patience and determination it is surprising what can be done with it. If you have never come across it before it lives in the 'Accessories' folder.

A commercial product you might like to look at is Serif's PhotoPlus. It has been described as having 98% of the functionality of Photoshop for about 30% of the price. I have used it as my main image editing software for a number of years now.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 CyberSec_ET

CyberSec_ET

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 AM

Posted 07 November 2015 - 05:09 PM

I had planned on using Photoshop CS3, but even after all this time I find the price ($900) is still out of reach, so would like to hear alternatives. I had seen on some TV show about this artist in New York that takes famous paintings like Whistler's Mother, removes the face, and replaces it with his dogs' face. This is my main objective for the software. I will be fooling around with GIMP on Linux, but would like something for my XP Pro. Someone told me about Paint.Net, but I found out it requires .NET Framework, so that will not work. Any ideas of a software that will do what I need done, work on XP Pro, and not require the .NET bloatware?

I use these >

Paint.Net

#4 Willabong

Willabong

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2015 - 05:34 AM

For a FREE program, this one is almost as good as Photoshop, but is much easier to learn and use:

http://www.jpchacha.com/chasysdraw/

#5 RaduSt

RaduSt

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 PM

Posted 02 February 2016 - 05:47 AM

Photoshop is way too expensive, considering you can easily find free or affordable alternatives.

For individual retouching i use GIMP. It does tons of stuff.

https://www.gimp.org/

For batch resizing and watermarking i use BatchPhoto. 

http://www.batchphoto.com/index.html

#6 TCSNinc

TCSNinc

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 AM

Posted 20 February 2016 - 02:44 PM

The face-swap thing seems to be a trick using the cloning tool. Perhaps Photoshop's newer tools allow you to 'double clone' to either area.

Essentially all you need to do is just lasso select face 2, and save it to a new layer.

Hide the layer and clone over the original face 2 with face 1

then reveal the hidden layer so that you can clone the original face 2 over face 1

then delete the face 2 layer.

I wouldn't pay $900 for a shortcut tool. lol

#7 Unicycle43

Unicycle43

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 PM

Posted 10 September 2016 - 08:34 PM

I would definitely recommend GIMP, I use it all the time(It is somewhat confusing at first)

Paint.net is another one that is popular however I barely ever use it, for some reason I am terribly slow at using, maybe because I don't use it that much. I also know many of GIMPS shortcuts

So yeah, I would go for GIMP

#8 Webdeveloper

Webdeveloper

• Banned Spammer
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 PM

Posted 29 September 2016 - 12:24 AM

There are different Photo Editing soft-wares that are available in the market.

• Pixlr
  • Gimp
  • Acrorn
  • Photoshop
  • Adobr lightroom

Photoshop and Gimp are more famous for image editing. Photoshop is expensive but Gimp is free. Gimp provides the same editing tools as the Photoshop. Photoshop provides sophisticated editing capabilities but the average user does not require them.  Gimp is lighter than Photoshop. Gimp is a portable software. Photoshop does not support native Gimp files (XCF files)but Photoshop PSD files are supported by Gimp.

Edited by Webdeveloper, 29 September 2016 - 12:24 AM.

#9 NeedAFix_

NeedAFix_

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2016 - 02:10 PM

Paint Shop Pro :) I've been using it years, everyone thinks I use Photoshop when they see my edits, it's similar. If you get the trial version from

'oldversion.com' somehow it never stops working :) and you can do what you mentioned on it

Edited by NeedAFix_, 02 October 2016 - 02:18 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users