Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Product Key Not Valid for This Product

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan

• Members
  • 290 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 AM

Posted 05 November 2015 - 07:20 PM

I purchased a copy of Windows 7 from eBay and it came with a Product Key label. The disk doesn't say that it is the Service Pack 1 level, so I assume that it is the original version. I decided to bypass all of the updating that would be required to bring the original version up to the SP1 level by just downloading an ISO of Windows 7 SP1 from the Microsoft web site. Part of the process for doing this is to enter the Product Key so that Microsoft can verify that the key is valid. I entered the key and clicked VERIFY. I got a message that this key was not valid for this product. The FAQ stated that the key would not be valid for an OEM, Enterprise, etc. version of the program. This leads me to ask two questions:

1) If I have a valid Product Key for Windows 7 64-bit, why would it not be valid for the SP1 version; it's just the latest version of the original OS?

2) If I go ahead and install the original version of the OS from the disk that I have, will I be able to receive the SP1 update when I have installed all updates up to that point? (Or is SP1 just a compilation of the original OS and all of the updates that were issued before MS released SP1?)

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 05 November 2015 - 07:28 PM

These are questions/situations for a Microsoft rep, IMO.  Nothing anyone can tell you here at BC...is likely to be as valid as a simple phone conversation with an authorized rep of MS, charged with doing license activation..

A simple phone call would result in answers within a 15-minute block of time, IMO.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users