Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cooling Fan Installation on Intel 13 chip

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan

• Members
  • 287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 PM

Posted 05 November 2015 - 06:18 PM

I finally got all of the parts to assemble my new system unit and I wanted to install the processor chip, an Intel i3. I took the chip and fan out of the box, and I expected to find a small tube of thermal compound to apply to the top of the chip, but there was none. I took a look at the installation manual and it only illustrated putting the chip into the socket and installing the fan over it. On the bottom of the fan, where it contacts the chip, there are three small strips of a semi-sticky substance - a lot smaller than the top area of the chip. This may be a dumb question, but is this all the cooling interface that is required to keep the device from overheating?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,624 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2015 - 06:37 PM

If you purchased the fan and CPU together then the fan most likely has a thermal pad and not separate thermal compound. When the CPU heats up for the first time the pad acts like thermal compound.

http://www.heatsink-guide.com/compound.htm

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1789424/pre-applied-thermal-compound-intel-cpu-stock-cooler.html

Edited by JohnC_21, 05 November 2015 - 06:39 PM.

#3 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 287 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2015 - 09:29 PM

John,

Thanks for the information and the links to these two articles. All very informative.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users