Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Batch rename music and/or other files? (Just to reduce the metadata clutter).

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Johnz414

Johnz414

• Members
  • 491 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 05 November 2015 - 05:12 PM

Hi,

I would like to know if there is a way to batch rename music files, folders and what not?

I would like to keep the names of the files and metadata info but lose the dashes (-), underscores (_), dots (.), etc plus lose the lower case titles and convert them to upper case titles.

Examples:

example_title-year.wav (file name), title-year.wav (metadata)   change to...

{track.number} {track,name}.wav (for file name) and {track.name} for metadata.

"01 Title.wav" (for file) and "Title" for metadata title.

I've used Audials to download tracks and before I could figure out how to get it to label the tracks the way I want I have a lot labeled the way Audials default likes to.

So, instead of trying to rename each track individually I would like to find a way to bulk rename them to a simple label format that will display nicely when listening to my music collection.

All the lines, dashes, underscores, dots are not necessary and not good viewing. I would really like to reduce the metadata clutter.

Thanks,

John

Edited by hamluis, 05 November 2015 - 07:19 PM.
Moved from Tips/Tricks to Audio/Video Software - Hamluis.

John

"Genius is nothing other than pointing out the obvious",
Albert Einstein.

"I am what I am and that is all that I am, I am Popeye the Sailor Man", Popeye.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,281 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2015 - 07:18 PM

Well...there are a couple of tools that I use

It's important to remember that a music file really has 2 lists that you should be concerned with....the file name, which is what you see if you look at the file in Windows or Explorer view...and the tag, which is what the player will see and use for various purposes.  The two do not have to be the same...but they can be the same and I like for mine to be one and the same.

There are a zillion programs which allow you to rename/retag music files...you have to find one which you like and understand how to use.

The one I use for renaming tags (I could use it for renaming files, too) is Mp3tag.  It can do all sorts of things that I am not interested in...but I use it simply to go from the filename to create a tag which reflects the same info as the filename.  Example:  Filename:  The Ultraviolence - Joe Stump.mp3 becomes tagged as The Ulraviolence with Joe Stump reflected as the artist by whatever player I am using.

I think it's worth a look.

I find that...taking out the dashes/parentheses/mispellings, etc..is awfully annoying to me.  So what I do is simply delete the filename as it came to me...and create my own filename, using any number of tools.  I find Windows Explorer to be the easiest...I just rename the file with whatever data I want reflected and I separate the artist from the song title by a space/dash/space.  By separating them, I make it possible for Windows to list all my music files by Artist, alphabetically, etc.

Anyway...that's the approach I take and this works for me.

Good luck :).

Louis

#3 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,083 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 AM

Posted 06 November 2015 - 07:10 AM

Hi Louis,

When I read this thread I also remember about Mp3Tag that is the one I use for MP3 files but the OP mention WAV files that Mp3Tag doesn't seem to support!

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,281 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2015 - 05:14 PM

My oversight because I convert all .wav or other music files to .mp3.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users