Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error Loading Operating System

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 swalker

swalker

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 AM

Posted 21 July 2006 - 05:14 PM

I run W2K on an old computer that has been upgraded. 40g hd. My children were in the midst of trying to load chuzzle on yahoo when they first experienced the issue. Or at least that was when I first heard about it. I tried to make the boot disks for W2K at bootdisk.com but when I finally got them done and put one in it still didnt work. Now I have a black screen and it gives me an error regarding loading the operating system. Cant get past it. Willing to wipe it clean, no problem but what do I do. I have win2k evaluation disk and then my upgrade disk but dont register when I put them in . I dont even really know where to start anymore. I just want to start it over clean slate.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,372 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 PM

Posted 22 July 2006 - 01:16 AM

If you can get into the BIOS set the boot order so that your CD is first and try to boot from the CD.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 PM

Posted 22 July 2006 - 01:45 AM

Before you go any futer, do you have the windows key?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 swalker

swalker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2006 - 06:23 AM

Thank you for the fast responses.

dc3, I wish I knew how to do that, I have a little experience with computers but not much.

acklan, Yes I have the windows key. Because it is an evaluation version I actually have 2 keys. One for eval and one to upgrade to full version.

Edited by swalker, 22 July 2006 - 06:24 AM.

#5 swalker

swalker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2006 - 08:51 AM

Ok I got it to recognize the fact that the operating system is there. Had to tell the computer which partition was first. Now I am back to the wonderful BSOD Stop:0x000007b (0x8187b030, 0xc0000032 0x00000000, 0x00000000) Inaccessible_boot_device. Can't get past it no matter what I do. I went to my startup options by hitting F1 but didn't see where to tell it to read the disk drive first. It is running the a: drive first but my disks are cds and it doesnt auto load for some reason. Any help would be appreciated.

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 AM

Posted 22 July 2006 - 01:52 PM

Go to the bios setup and have it load from the cd first. You can reset it after the reinstallation.

Start the computer with the "update - full installation cd"

When it asks, have it reformat and install.

Follow instructions on the screen from there.

#7 swalker

swalker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2006 - 05:01 PM

I have no clue how to go to bios it wont let me in to anything but F1 settings screen are they reachable thru there? I dont see anything about changing which drive to read first. Sorry to be so uninformed but I guess I am.

Edited by swalker, 23 July 2006 - 07:42 AM.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,372 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 PM

Posted 23 July 2006 - 03:02 AM

Please let my know what make and model you computer is and I'll provide you with step by step instructions.

I will need this information to be able to tell you which key to use to access the BIOS, and which set of BIOS you have in order to instruct you into the boot set up.

Edited by dc3, 23 July 2006 - 03:14 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 swalker

swalker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2006 - 07:41 AM

You guys are quick. :thumbsup: Thank you. I have an IBM Personal Computer 300GL Model 6275-12u.

I can now reach the setup (*** BIOS? ***) screen. I am just not sure what to change I guess. I removed the lithium battery and that is the screen that it directed me to due to battery failure. Gave my the option of automatic configuration and I let it do that but still have the lovely BSOD. I have went thru all of the screens but don't have a clue. :huh: Thanks again for your help.

Forever lost in computer land.

Shannon

Edited by swalker, 23 July 2006 - 09:15 AM.

#10 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2006 - 08:33 AM

Since i am not familiar with the bios you have all I can suggest is that you explore through it until you find the settings for the boot order.

#11 swalker

swalker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2006 - 01:51 PM

I cannot find any settings for the boot order. Is there anything else I can do to adress this issue?

#12 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2006 - 07:21 PM

The settings for boot order may be under "Advanced".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users