Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MSSE has detected pop up window

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 owd66

owd66

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 05 November 2015 - 03:53 PM

MSSE pop up says it detected C:\\Windows\CNYHKey.exe

Is this an issue I should be concerned about?  PC performance doesn't seem to be affected but still concerned that there is something on my machine that shouldn't be.  Please advise.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,103 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2015 - 04:18 PM

It's a legitimate file name for Chicony Electronics Multimedia Keyboard Hotkey Driver.

I have same driver for my HP multimedia keyboard when using Windows.

You can investigate further by submitting the file to VirusTotal - Free Online Virus and Malware Scan to be scanned by numerous security programs.

EDIT: additional info...Typical file path:C:\Program Files\hewlett-packard\hp keyboard\cnyhkey.exe

2 mb in size

Edited by buddy215, 05 November 2015 - 04:27 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 owd66

owd66
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2015 - 10:36 AM

I am unable to locate the file "C:\\Windows\CNYHKey.exe" anywhere on my PC. 

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,103 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2015 - 11:38 AM

Have you looked in C:\Program Files\hewlett-packard\hp keyboard\cnyhkey.exe ?

Have you used an HP keyboard on this computer?

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 owd66

owd66
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2015 - 02:25 PM

I did look and there is no HP anything in the program files folder.  The Gateway keyboard and mouse are the same that came with the Gateway PC and I don't believe I have ever used any other keyboard.  I've searched for CNYHKEY using windows explorer but found nothing.  If I open the Task Manger, I can see it running in Processes.....just discovered if I right click on it I can open it's location.  Located at C:\Windows

Virustotal scan, harmless    https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/bd86853b1eb7787aea9537b33dc4623421e9b9990f7702b2bf0be44a9267efea/analysis/1447096019/

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,103 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2015 - 02:53 PM

The brief search I did for that file only said it was used by HP....it could simply be that Gateway is using the same software.

Since the scan of the file using VirusTotal came up clean....I wouldn't be the least concerned unless you have some other

reason to suspect malware or adware is on the computer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users