Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What would you choose for a cheap kids desktop?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 DeathTongue

DeathTongue

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 AM

Posted 05 November 2015 - 02:04 PM

I'm looking to get a desktop for one of my daughters to use to do some online schoolwork, probably just for the rest of this year, so this computer doesn't have to last forever, but it does need to be cheap. I just need a system unit, already have monitor and other stuff. She needs to be able to go to Khan Academy website to do assignments and watch videos, not much else. I'm looking at these computers at new egg, any thoughts?

Refurbished: Lenovo Thinkcentre M58 Ultra Small Form Factor Desktop - Core 2 Duo E7400 2.8Ghz - 4GB RAM - 160GB HDD - DVDRW - Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Installed - $90

or

Refurbished: Dell Optiplex 760 Small Form Factor - Intel Core2Duo E8400 3.00GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, DVDRW, Windows 7 Home Premium - $100

I could also get a similar computer from walmart for about $30-40 more, and I could take it back to walmart if I needed to, if I need to worry about that.

Edited by DeathTongue, 05 November 2015 - 02:05 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 05 November 2015 - 02:43 PM

I have set up a few people with used SFF OptiPlex 760's, they seem reliable enough & there is a good trade in used replacement parts on ebay if required. I have no idea about the reliability or parts availability for Lenovos.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 AM

Posted 11 November 2015 - 01:09 PM

I have bought a couple of refurbished OptiPlex desktops (full) and I'm satisfied with them.  My purchases came via Amazon where I believe the refurbs are a bit more trustworthy...as opposed to other sources.

Louis

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 AM

Posted 11 November 2015 - 01:12 PM

...and add in a few bucks for at least one external HD for backups.  Schoolwork is too important not to have once-weekly backups.  Even online schooling generates some locally-saved work.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users