Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Are my printer and camera too old for 8.1?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK

• Members
  • 683 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 AM

Posted 05 November 2015 - 01:27 PM

Hi, my Epson SX400 printer has worked fine on my desktop PC with Win 7 for the past 5 years, and so has my Kodak Z915 digicam which I use for downloading images to my hard drive, but for some reason neither will install to my new laptop with Win 8.1.

When I insert the printer and camera installation disks I get messages like "Compatibility issues, aborting"..... "No solutions found"....."Product not recognised".

What do you think?

Doesn't 8.1 like my old printer and cam, or doesn't my laptop have the muscle to handle them?

Thanks

PS my laptop specs are-

laptop-spec_zpszfskgdch.jpg

lapt-spec-disp_zpsyj0sp325.jpg

Edited by MickinPlymouthUK, 05 November 2015 - 01:34 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,993 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 PM

Posted 05 November 2015 - 01:35 PM

Looks like you need to download drivers for Windows 8.1 64 bit. According to the information I got on your printer, it will work on Windows 8 and Windows 10, but you need to get the correct drivers for your OS.

What is the model of your camera?

Orange Blossom :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,993 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2015 - 01:37 PM

You may need to contact Epson to get proper installation discs for your printer for your new OS, or you may be able to download the installation media.

Orange Blossom :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#4 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 683 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2015 - 08:30 PM

Thanks guys, don't ask me how but I somehow got the printer working by downloading some drivers and muddling through!

But I've had no luck so far with my Kodak Z915 camera, I've googled around and it seems Kodak went bankrupt, hence the lack of driver support.

Some sites are offering free driver downloads for it but only mention earlier drivers like WinXP and Win 7, and I can't find any that specify Win 8 but I'll keep looking or buy a new 8- compatible camera.

#5 Moe_P

Moe_P

• Members
  • 315 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2015 - 10:12 AM

Hi, I found this site using google, http://www.solvusoft.com/en/update/drivers/digital-camera/kodak/easyshare/z915/model-numbers/

If you want to check it out, hope it helps.

Moe_P

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,295 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2015 - 01:24 PM

If the camera stores photos on a SDcard then pull the card and insert it into your computer's card reader slot. Most modern computers have them or you can order a USB SD card adapter.

According to the computer's manual your card reader slot is at the front of the computer under the touchpad.

http://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/GetPDF.aspx/c04296085.pdf

#7 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 683 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2015 - 01:30 PM

UPDATE- I got my cam working at last by somehow muddling through, I think I eventually managed to click all the installation and settings buttons in the correct order by pure luck..;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users