Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help Me With My Monitor On An HP Laptop

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,631 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 PM

Posted 05 November 2015 - 12:30 PM

I am having a problem with an old HP 2000 2b43dx laptop computer. The problem is the screen is very badly distorted, there looks like a whole bunch of lines that make seeing what is on the screen almost impossible. It looks kind of like electrical interference.

Attached File  DSC_1995b.jpg   99.59KB   0 downloads

This computer belongs to my Daughter and she asked me if I could fix it. I think that I can, but I need every body's opinion first. I have never worked on a laptop, but I am willingly to try. She said that she has never dropped it, and I really do not think that the screen is broke, I just think that there is a loose wire in the laptop itself. What I need is help from you guys, first do you think that I can fix it, or should I throw the darn thing away? Can you provide links to help me, maybe videos or instructions or anything else.

This post is a continuation of a previous problem;  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/595039/can-i-install-linux-into-a-dead-laptop/

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,631 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2015 - 05:22 PM

The reason that I think that it is just a loose wire is because there is no visible damage to the computer or the screen, and when I hook up an external monitor via HDMI or even a DVI cable, they work just fine. Even though I don't have any previous experience repairing laptops, I think that I can fix this. Does anybody have any advice or links to videos or manuals?

Thanks,

Rocky Bennett

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#3 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,759 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 PM

Posted 05 November 2015 - 09:05 PM

I think you have figured it out already, and it is the Graphics Display.  This is the best I could do without the Model No.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03575298.pdf

Or here:

http://jcdiaz.net/manuals/hp%202000.pdf

Go to youtube and look it up, your pc + disassembly or diagnostics.

Here is a good Tutorial, not video

http://www.insidemylaptop.com/hp-2000-laptop-disassembly/

Video:  

Edited by pcpunk, 05 November 2015 - 09:09 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 AM

Posted 05 November 2015 - 11:52 PM

An effect like you are getting can be due to poor contact/tarnished connectors on the LVDS cable that carries the signal from the mainboard up to the LCD screen. The principle is the same as inside an LCD monitor, as mentioned here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/378732/lcd-monitor-problem/?p=2130824

Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,631 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2015 - 06:55 AM

Thank you guys. I will definitely take on this project in the next couple of days. I will report back on my results.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#6 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,631 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2015 - 12:14 PM

Thanks guys, I fixed the display. This is the first time I have ever attempted anything like this, working on a laptop or anything really technical with a computer, but it was a success. The only problem is that in reassembly the keyboard does lay exactly 100% flat, but it all works. There is a slight bulge in the keyboard, but oh well.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#7 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,759 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2015 - 11:18 PM

Okay, what fixed it?

O-Yeah, discard any extra screws left over also!

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#8 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,631 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2015 - 04:25 AM

Okay, what fixed it?

O-Yeah, discard any extra screws left over also!

At the very end of the project there were no left over screws. This is one little detail that surprised me as well. When I got close to the end, I counted my remaining screws and the screw holes and they matched, and at the end I looked around my work area (the kitchen table) and there were no bits of plastic, no extra screws, everything just kind of jelled. It was a great feeling turning on the darn thing and it fired right up. Thanks to you and your support this was a project that was well done.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#9 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,759 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2015 - 10:57 AM

Okay, what fixed it?

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#10 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,631 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2015 - 11:08 AM

Okay, what fixed it?

Very sorry. Once I disassembled THE ENTIRE laptop, I found the wire that connected the display to the GPU. I simply unplugged this wire, blew compressed air into the female plug and cleaned the male part with isopropyl alcohol.  That was it really, I just crossed my fingers and reassembled the darn thing and hoped for the best. When it fired up and the screen was perfectly clear, I felt great.

This laptop went from being a complete brick to a fully functional laptop in just 6 days, with about 10 hours of my time invested in it. I am installing all of the little things that my Daughter wants like iTunes and stuff, and I will soon get it out of my house and out of my hair. Since it is my first attempt at anything like this, I feel good about the end result.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#11 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,759 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2015 - 08:12 PM

Was the video good or was it the written Tutorial?

Of course Platypus had a very good Post also!

Edited by pcpunk, 07 November 2015 - 08:15 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#12 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 PM

Posted 07 November 2015 - 09:16 PM

This laptop went from being a complete brick to a fully functional laptop in just 6 days, with about 10 hours of my time invested in it. I am installing all of the little things that my Daughter wants like iTunes and stuff, and I will soon get it out of my house and out of my hair. Since it is my first attempt at anything like this, I feel good about the end result.

You are a braver man than me- although i have no reservations about tearing into a desktop,the one and only time i tried to repair a laptop turned out to be a disaster. My eyesight is not great and working on a laptop is very tedious and requires special tools,and steady hands. Good for you Rocky!

#13 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,631 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2015 - 10:12 AM

Was the video good or was it the written Tutorial?

Of course Platypus had a very good Post also!

I went letter by letter from the written instructions. The video didn't exactly show the laptop I was dealing with.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users