Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unidentifiable Device

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Toadywot

Toadywot

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 AM

Posted 05 November 2015 - 10:32 AM

I came across some kind of device recently and I have no idea what it is. It appears new/unused and cannot recall how or when I acquired it. It has absolutely no identifying markers or labels, and no documentation. If cables came with it, they are MIA. The power port is similar to an s-cable port and I cannot recall ever seeing a power cable with this sort of port. The USB port looks like it would utilize a cable commonly used on printers. If it is tilted end to end, something inside slides and hits each end solidly. There are removable strips on each side and their purpose is unclear. Removing them seems to have no purpose either. I did note that there was a USB port on an external hard drive identical to the USB port on the mystery device and I fleetingly wondered if it could be an external hard drive of some kind, but I've never seen one that even looked remotely like this does.

I've Googled everything I can think of in my efforts to identify this device, with no success. I hope the photos are clear enough, and that I've provided enough information, for someone to know what this is and relay that to me before I go nuts!
Attached File  image.jpeg   127KB   0 downloadsAttached File  image.jpeg   137.14KB   0 downloadsAttached File  image.jpeg   64.77KB   0 downloadsAttached File  image.jpeg   60.19KB   0 downloadsAttached File  image.jpeg   48.33KB   0 downloadsAttached File  image.jpeg   64.31KB   0 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 AM

Posted 05 November 2015 - 10:39 AM

That is an external enclosure for a IDE or SATA hard drive. You need a power adapter and USB cable. The power adapter may be hard to find. This is exactly like the one I have except for the USB port. The end caps snap on. You need to be careful when removing them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-5-USB-2-0-IDE-Aluminum-External-HDD-Hard-Drive-Enclosure-Case-Black-New-/400519293559

Edited by JohnC_21, 05 November 2015 - 11:03 AM.

#3 Toadywot

Toadywot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 AM

Posted 16 November 2015 - 09:28 PM

I'm fairly certain the power cable and USB came with this device. I'll find them, but I've never seen an external drive like that, so hopefully it will operate just like my other external hard drive.....there's no manual, but one could have come with the device and it too could be MIA. It's next to impossible to find anything helpful online unless you have the manufacturer name, make, model and what-have-you of the device. I'm also sure I purchased it new, as I never buy used electronics or devices. I have no idea when I made that purchase, but it appears somewhat obsolete, given the odd port for the power cable, so it's likely been a while.

But when you say "external enclosure", I'm a tad stumped. Does that mean it's NOT an external hard drive? What do you mean when you say "end caps"? Nothing on either end indicates they could be removed. The only thing I can take off are the strips on the sides that slide off. What is inside? Maybe I'm missing something here but I have no idea of how it works or what it does.

I'm sorry for the aggravation I'm causing you, but I am totally confused and completely lost. I thought I was pretty computer-savvy, but now I feel like a complete dumbass. Again, I cannot search the web for answers without the info on it. If you can dumb this down for me, I would be most grateful!

#4 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 390 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 AM

Posted 17 November 2015 - 03:24 AM

"Enclosure" means that you buy it as an empty box & put your own (standard internal) hard drive into it. When you have done that it becomes an external hard drive. In your case the enclosure is for a 3.5" drive (2.5" enclosures generally do not require a power supply). The disk interface could be either IDE or SATA depending on the age of the enclosure - you'll need to open it up to find out. These enclosures often do open by removing one of the ends (see the pictures in the eBay link above) & the ends could be secured by some form of clip or by some (possibly very small) screws - your pictures are not good enough to see whether there are screw heads under the side trims.

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,226 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 17 November 2015 - 03:35 AM

The images are blurry, but it looks like there is some form of securing pin or press-in tab a short distance from each end cap.
Top 5 things that never get done:

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2015 - 08:08 AM

The images are blurry, but it looks like there is some form of securing pin or press-in tab a short distance from each end cap.

That is exactly how the end caps are held in. You have to carefully depress the plastic pin on each side to unlock it from the enclosure. In fact the one I purchased had extra end caps in case you broke one.

@Toadywot, sorry I missed your reply.

Edited by JohnC_21, 17 November 2015 - 08:10 AM.

#7 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,226 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 17 November 2015 - 08:19 AM

the one I purchased had extra end caps in case you broke one.

That may be what Toadywot can hear loose inside the enclosure.
Top 5 things that never get done:

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2015 - 09:27 AM

the one I purchased had extra end caps in case you broke one.

That may be what Toadywot can hear loose inside the enclosure.

Yeah, when I got my enclosure the other caps were inside.

Edited by JohnC_21, 17 November 2015 - 09:27 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users