Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A Question About Education

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 AM

Posted 05 November 2015 - 09:49 AM

This is, in a sense, a pretty rhetorical question. I know that education is a valuable commodity, and that learning is a never-ending process. I know that while I'm very good at doing those things that I know how to do, there is also far more knowledge out there than I could ever hope to completely absorb, and there are always people who know far more than I do - which has saved my not-so-perky-anymore butt on more than one occasion!

I hold a Bachelor's in Computer Science. Or more accurately, I hold a Bachelor's in Business Management, with a Computer Science major. I don't utilize that degree to its full potential - I'm a stay-at-home Mom, which I wouldn't trade for anything in the world. I do part-time work on web sites for local businesses, and pick up some odd jobs doing repairs and maintenance on hardware, and some software tutoring. And I play on my computer a lot. I mean, a lot. I am at my happiest when I dive inside of a computer, poking around in its guts and looking for ways to make improvements.

So, my question is this:

BC has a current offer for the CompTIA-IT Certification Career Advancement Course Bundle. At $59.00, it's a freakin' steal. I'd like to get opinions from others here: Would it be worth my time to invest in this offer? I doubt that I'd use the education for an awful lot in terms of marketing myself or seeking employment - as I said, I like being a stay-at-home Mom, and I'm grateful that my situation allows me to be one. But I also value education, and I love the process of learning and acquiring new knowledge and skills. At heart, I'm just a nerdy girl who loves computers.

Snowden03.png

~   Notorious Thread Killer   ~
Case: CoolerMaster Storm Trooper Full ATX | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z170X | CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 390X 8GB 512-Bit | PSU: EVGA 80 PLUS GOLD 850 W | RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 SDRAM [4x8GB] Audio: Integrated Creative Sound Core 3D 5.1 | Internal Storage: Samsung 2 TB HDD | Seagate 1 TB HDD | Samsung 500GB SSD [x2] | Mushkin 500GB SSD | External Storage: Seagate 2TB | Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS324 Dual Layer

Display 1: AOC I2757Fh 27" | Display 2 & 3: LG 24MP57HQ-P 24" | Operating Systems: OS 1: Windows 10 Professional | OS 2: Linux Mint Cinnamon | OS 3: Windows 7 Ultimate x-64 | Antivirus: MS Security Essentials | Firewall: Windows Firewall

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 leithanne

leithanne

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 AM

Posted 06 November 2015 - 11:40 AM

If you can afford the $59, it's a no-brainer. Where else can you get 42 hours of pleasure for that price?

I have a BA in English, so you know I believe in knowledge for knowledge's sake. ~g~ Even if you don't make a dime from the course, do it for yourself. You're worth it.

#3 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2015 - 12:53 PM

I would go for it as well even though I often tell people they can save a lot of money by buying used text books from Amazon and the like.
But it has been almost 30 years since I got my MCSE win 2000; a+ n+ and sec + that way.
Been botter than 20 since I have been inside a computer case.

My knowledge is old and outdated now.

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

#4 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,826 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 AM

Posted 06 November 2015 - 09:06 PM

That does sound like a deal.  I haven't ever held any "certs" but have built, installed and repaired computer based equipment since 1970.  Often the problem wasn't the computer part at all but some custom built peripheral.  What I point up is that broadening your over all knowledge base is never a bad thing.

#5 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2015 - 02:50 AM

My knowledge is old and outdated now.

I know the feeling - which is why I've been thinking about this.

Thanks for the comments, everyone. I think I'm going to go for it - it will help keep me out of trouble...

Snowden03.png

Case: CoolerMaster Storm Trooper Full ATX | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z170X | CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 390X 8GB 512-Bit | PSU: EVGA 80 PLUS GOLD 850 W | RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 SDRAM [4x8GB] Audio: Integrated Creative Sound Core 3D 5.1 | Internal Storage: Samsung 2 TB HDD | Seagate 1 TB HDD | Samsung 500GB SSD [x2] | Mushkin 500GB SSD | External Storage: Seagate 2TB | Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS324 Dual Layer

Display 1: AOC I2757Fh 27" | Display 2 & 3: LG 24MP57HQ-P 24" | Operating Systems: OS 1: Windows 10 Professional | OS 2: Linux Mint Cinnamon | OS 3: Windows 7 Ultimate x-64 | Antivirus: MS Security Essentials | Firewall: Windows Firewall

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 PM

Posted 07 November 2015 - 06:11 PM

Just how much trouble do you have time to get yourself into ?

A husband, children, creating and maintaining web-sites, building yourself a shiny new computer, running a home, doing graphics and video work. If I had any time left over from that I would collapse into an easy chair at the end of the day !

Still, knowledge is always useful, it's a little learning that is dangerous.

Chris Cosgrove

#7 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,826 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 AM

Posted 07 November 2015 - 06:43 PM

I try to structure my time, I have a certain fitness to maintain and my work doesn't tax me physically.  I learn everyday, I encounter a new piece of equipment each day and if I can't keep up, there's a fresh crop willing to give it a try.  If an all encompassing kind of knowledge base is the goal, start with electricity, electronics, mainly to keep you safe when up to your elbows inside some piece of gear.

#8 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2015 - 08:12 AM

Just how much trouble do you have time to get yourself into ?

A husband, children, creating and maintaining web-sites, building yourself a shiny new computer, running a home, doing graphics and video work. If I had any time left over from that I would collapse into an easy chair at the end of the day !

Still, knowledge is always useful, it's a little learning that is dangerous.

Chris Cosgrove

Well, the new computer isn't taking all that much time. I don't do an enormous amount of outside work - I have a few sites that I created and maintain for a few small businesses, and I'm lucky to have the freedom to take on as much - or as little - as I can fit into my schedule. The kids are both old enough that they've become (relatively speaking), somewhat "lower maintenance." Running the home isn't that complicated for me - I have the husband and kids well trained to pick up after themselves (or suffer the Wrath of Mom), and the video and graphics is all hobby, so I fit that in when I can.

However, if you were to ask my husband, he'd probably tell you that left to my own devices, I have no problem finding trouble...

But I agree - knowledge is useful. It's the lack of a solid base of good general knowledge that's been destroying this country from the inside...

I try to structure my time, I have a certain fitness to maintain and my work doesn't tax me physically.  I learn everyday, I encounter a new piece of equipment each day and if I can't keep up, there's a fresh crop willing to give it a try.  If an all encompassing kind of knowledge base is the goal, start with electricity, electronics, mainly to keep you safe when up to your elbows inside some piece of gear.

I leave the electricity to my husband - he's a master electrician. Electronics I'm still learning about, and it fascinates me. I recently had someone sort of scoff at me when I was inside a box with an anti-static wrist band on, attached to the case. I was told that all I have to do is periodically touch the case to discharge any static. My response was, "But what if I accidentally touch something before I've discharged that static? You gonna replace my equipment if something happens? It only takes one little static spark to cause problems."

I have no choice but to structure my time - even though I'm not worked to death around the house trying to keep up, still, keeping the place clean and stocked with an endless supply of food for the bottomless pits I share this house with can be draining at times!

Snowden03.png

#9 Naught McNoone

Naught McNoone

• Members
  • 308 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 AM

Posted 09 November 2015 - 07:13 PM

. . . knowledge is useful. It's the lack of a solid base of good general knowledge that's been destroying this country from the inside . . .

"Twas well observed by my Lord Bacon, That a little knowledge is apt to puff up, and make men giddy, but a greater share of it will set them right, and bring them to low and humble thoughts of themselves."

The Mystery of Phanaticism, 1698

Go for it!  What have you got to lose, other than a little time, and a little cash?  Compared to what you may gain, as a result.

Cheers!

Naught.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users