Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot To CD/DVD?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 PM

Posted 05 November 2015 - 08:10 AM

Okay, this is going to seem silly, but...

I have a laptop here (HP Pavilion dv5) that belongs to a friend. I need to just wipe the drive and reinstall Windows, but she bought a retail version of Windows 7 that she wants installed - she doesn't want all the bloatware. I use the @Active KillDisk bootable DOS disk for drive wipes. So, simple enough task, right?

On startup, I press the <ESC> key, which gives me several options. They are:

F1 - System Information

F2 - System Diagnostics

F9 - Boot Device Options

F10 - BIOS Setup

F11 - System Recovery

ENTER - Continue Startup

So, I first pressed F9, which gives me these options:

Internal CD/DVD ROM Drive

Notebook Hard Drive

I highlight "Internal CD/DVD ROM Drive," press <ENTER>, and... The computer boots to the internal HDD.

Next step. I rebooted the computer, pressed the <ESC> key, and entered the Startup Options menu again. This time I chose F10 and entered the BIOS setup. I selected "System Configuration," then "Boot Options," then "Boot Order." I moved "Internal CD/DVD ROM Drive" to the top of the list, pressed F10 to save and exit, confirmed the choice, and pressed <ENTER>.

And, the computer boots to the internal HDD...

The drive is functioning, and the disk is good - it can be read from within Windows Explorer.

Any help?

Edited by MelissaPleases, 05 November 2015 - 08:16 AM.

Snowden03.png

~   Notorious Thread Killer   ~
Case: CoolerMaster Storm Trooper Full ATX | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z170X | CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 390X 8GB 512-Bit | PSU: EVGA 80 PLUS GOLD 850 W | RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 SDRAM [4x8GB] Audio: Integrated Creative Sound Core 3D 5.1 | Internal Storage: Samsung 2 TB HDD | Seagate 1 TB HDD | Samsung 500GB SSD [x2] | Mushkin 500GB SSD | External Storage: Seagate 2TB | Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS324 Dual Layer

Display 1: AOC I2757Fh 27" | Display 2 & 3: LG 24MP57HQ-P 24" | Operating Systems: OS 1: Windows 10 Professional | OS 2: Linux Mint Cinnamon | OS 3: Windows 7 Ultimate x-64 | Antivirus: MS Security Essentials | Firewall: Windows Firewall

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 AM

Posted 05 November 2015 - 08:29 AM

The disk can be read but does the disk boot in another computer? If it does then try the following.

Create an iso of the Windows 7 disk using Imgburn or download the iso of Windows 7 here. Input the key but it cannot be OEM or it will fail. If using Imgburn make sure you opt out of the optional programs suggested. You can also use 7zip to strip the exe out of the installer.

After creating the iso or downloading it use Rufus to create a bootable USB flash drive. Select MBR as a partition scheme. Where it shows FreeDos in the dropdown box select iso image and browse to the iso you downloaded. Keep the Quickformat box checked. Attach the flash drive and tap F9 at boot. 

#3 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2015 - 09:01 AM

Yes, the disk boots in another machine.

Thanks, JohnC. I'll try that now.

Edit to Add: Actually, before I do that... I just noticed this. Rather than trying to boot from the @Active KillDisk CD, I tried booting directly from the Windows CD - this is not OEM, it's a full MS version. The notebook tries to boot to the disk, then switches back to the internal HDD. Any idea what this might mean? Should I continue with your previous suggestion?

Edited by MelissaPleases, 05 November 2015 - 09:10 AM.

Snowden03.png

Case: CoolerMaster Storm Trooper Full ATX | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z170X | CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 390X 8GB 512-Bit | PSU: EVGA 80 PLUS GOLD 850 W | RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 SDRAM [4x8GB] Audio: Integrated Creative Sound Core 3D 5.1 | Internal Storage: Samsung 2 TB HDD | Seagate 1 TB HDD | Samsung 500GB SSD [x2] | Mushkin 500GB SSD | External Storage: Seagate 2TB | Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS324 Dual Layer

Display 1: AOC I2757Fh 27" | Display 2 & 3: LG 24MP57HQ-P 24" | Operating Systems: OS 1: Windows 10 Professional | OS 2: Linux Mint Cinnamon | OS 3: Windows 7 Ultimate x-64 | Antivirus: MS Security Essentials | Firewall: Windows Firewall

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2015 - 10:34 AM

The only thing I can think of is the optical drive cannot pick up the section of disk that has the boot record. I would go with the USB method and see if that works.

#5 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2015 - 11:39 AM

I'll let you know...

Snowden03.png

#6 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2015 - 07:59 AM

I apologize for the delay in responding, JohnC - your suggestion worked and the laptop is all set. Thanks so much!

Snowden03.png

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2015 - 01:30 PM

No problem, glad the flash drive worked out. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users