Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Do I need these downloads?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Reena

Reena

• Members
  • 391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 AM

Posted 05 November 2015 - 07:42 AM

Windows Update has just informed me that I have three "optional" downloads:

Update for Windows 7   KB3080079

Update for Windows 7   KB3095649

Update for Windows 7   KB3102810

As I have recently had trouble with downloading Windows 10 and finding the Windows facility blocked to everything else other than a Windows 10 download, I am wary of installing these three "optional" updates. I do not want to go back to the Catch 22 situation out of which I have been helped by members of this forum. So, please, do I need these downloads? Usually I am very conscientious about installing practically everything to do with Windows 7 on the Update site.

My thanks in advance......and may I say how really helpful I have always found this website. The format may change, but the help offered remains constantly top-form!

Reena (UK)

Windows 7

Internet Explorer 11

Malware Bytes

Super Anti Spyware

Avast Antivirus

Windows Firewall

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,485 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 AM

Posted 05 November 2015 - 07:51 AM

Hi Reena :)

The best way to determinate whether or not you want to install a Windows Update, is to look up its KB article on Microsoft's website.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3080079 - Only relevant if you use the RDS. If you do, install it as it is a security update.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3095649 - This is relevant to you if you experience crashes caused by the win32k.sys driver. You could even install it as prevention from such crashes.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3102810 - Only relevant if you receive updates via SCCM (if you are on a domain that uses SCCM to push Windows Updates), and/or if you're trying to upgrade to Windows 10 and svchost.exe if causing an issue.

From these information, I'm sure you can decide by yourself whether or not you want to install these updates :)

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 Reena

Reena
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 AM

Posted 05 November 2015 - 11:15 AM

I've done as you suggest, Aura, and I have downloaded KB3095649. I'll know what to do next time!

(I know my time sequence is all wrong but looking at the times above it took you all of 9 minutes to resolve my "problem"! ) :grinner: 

My THANKS

Reena (UK)

Edited by Reena, 05 November 2015 - 11:16 AM.

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,485 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 AM

Posted 05 November 2015 - 11:19 AM

Took me around 9 minutes to notice your thread and post in it :P

No problem Reena, you're welcome :)

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users