Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"a" folder in C drive? Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 GawravDhomah

GawravDhomah

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2015 - 04:49 AM

Attached File  Capture.PNG   294.24KB   0 downloads

Hello guys, I have this folder on my c drive named a and it uses 7GB so i would like to know if i can delete it. 
Thank You

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 AM

Posted 05 November 2015 - 06:07 AM

That's the folder that holds all of your Programs
If you delete it, most of your programs won't work (and it may even affect how Windows works).

Don't delete it!!!!

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 GawravDhomah

GawravDhomah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2015 - 09:37 AM

That's the folder that holds all of your Programs
If you delete it, most of your programs won't work (and it may even affect how Windows works).

Don't delete it!!!!

But I already have these folders on my C drive.
The files i have screenshot are those in a folder named "a" on the C drive as you can see it the picture attached.
Thats why i've been wondering wether i can delete it or not.
Thank you.

Attached Files

Edited by GawravDhomah, 05 November 2015 - 09:38 AM.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,708 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2015 - 10:12 AM

The answer is still absolutely not.

Look at the screen shot you posted for the properties pane of the C:\Program Files folder.  It clearly indicates that this folder (which is behaving more like a link than a true folder) has its files physically located in folder C:\a.    That's really weird in and of itself and I have no idea how that ever came to be, but it is.

For comparison, here are the Program Files and Program Files (x86) folder properties on my computer:

Notice that the Location: field in each of these dialogs reads C:\.  No sub-folder appears, such as the C:\a on your machine.

Heaven only knows how this arrangement came to be, but if you delete C:\a on your machine you are in effect deleting C:\Program Files.  Such lies the way to madness.

Edited by britechguy, 05 November 2015 - 10:14 AM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#5 GawravDhomah

GawravDhomah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2015 - 10:33 AM

The answer is still absolutely not.

Look at the screen shot you posted for the properties pane of the C:\Program Files folder.  It clearly indicates that this folder (which is behaving more like a link than a true folder) has its files physically located in folder C:\a.    That's really weird in and of itself and I have no idea how that ever came to be, but it is.

For comparison, here are the Program Files and Program Files (x86) folder properties on my computer:

attachicon.gifProgram_Files_Prop.jpg

attachicon.gifProgram_Filesx86_Prop.jpg

Notice that the Location: field in each of these dialogs reads C:\.  No sub-folder appears, such as the C:\a on your machine.

Heaven only knows how this arrangement came to be, but if you delete C:\a on your machine you are in effect deleting C:\Program Files.  Such lies the way to madness.

Thanks for the help mate...
I'll leave there.

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2015 - 10:41 AM

Notice that the Location: field in each of these dialogs reads C:\. No sub-folder appears, such as the C:\a on your machine.

This is because he did a right-click and Properties inside the C:\a folder. It doesn't mean that these are "links". See the screenshot below of my Windows 7 VM.
6Sn789W.png
GawravDhomah, can you right-click on the C:\Program Files, C:\ProgramData and C:\Windows folders (individually, one at the time), select Properties, then take a screenshot of these windows and post them here?

Edited by Aura, 05 November 2015 - 10:42 AM.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#7 GawravDhomah

GawravDhomah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2015 - 10:52 AM

Notice that the Location: field in each of these dialogs reads C:\. No sub-folder appears, such as the C:\a on your machine.

This is because he did a right-click and Properties inside the C:\a folder. It doesn't mean that these are "links". See the screenshot below of my Windows 7 VM.
6Sn789W.png
GawravDhomah, can you right-click on the C:\Program Files, C:\ProgramData and C:\Windows folders (individually, one at the time), select Properties, then take a screenshot of these windows and post them here?

There you go.
Attached File  Capture.PNG   29.58KB   0 downloads

#8 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,708 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2015 - 10:53 AM

Aura,

I somehow missed the "a" in the address bar on the original screen shot, so I was clearly mistaken.

It's still a complete mystery to me how that folder would even be there unless someone intentionally created it.  I've never seen a folder named "a" under the C:\ drive before in all my years of dealing with Windows PCs.

Gawrav,

Based on your last set of screen shots I'd say that the entire 'a' folder structure is, indeed, a candidate for deletion.  It appears to have no connection to the actual system directories that Windows uses and heaven only knows how it came to be there.  Await a concurring opinion from Aura before proceeding to delete, though.

Edited by britechguy, 05 November 2015 - 10:56 AM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2015 - 10:59 AM

The three folders are indeed physically located on the C: drive and have the right attributes. As for the "a" folder, the only explanation I have is that at some point you did a Repair Install or Upgrade if your Windows, which created the windows.old folder on your C: drive and by mistake you renamed it to a. Or a back-up software created that folder.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#10 GawravDhomah

GawravDhomah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2015 - 11:28 AM

The three folders are indeed physically located on the C: drive and have the right attributes. As for the "a" folder, the only explanation I have is that at some point you did a Repair Install or Upgrade if your Windows, which created the windows.old folder on your C: drive and by mistake you renamed it to a. Or a back-up software created that folder.

That seems to be the best answer.
Thanks Mate :)

#11 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2015 - 11:29 AM

No problem :) This being said, you are free to delete the "a" folder since it won't impact your system.

unite_blue.png

#12 GawravDhomah

GawravDhomah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2015 - 02:01 AM

So i've deleted the folder and rebooted and i got no problems 
Thanks

#13 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2015 - 10:05 AM

Thanks for letting us know Gawrav, you're welcome! :)

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users